PDA

View Full Version : Best dessert idea?

Butt Rubb'n BBQ
05-29-2013, 09:58 PM
Going to enter the dessert category at a comp next week. What desserts have you seen win? Thanks.

musicmanryann
05-29-2013, 10:44 PM
Cheesecake. And then there's always cheesecake, but sometimes another cheesecake will win. The best bet I guess is cheesecake. :mrgreen:

gettinbasted
05-29-2013, 10:48 PM
Cheesecake. And then there's always cheesecake, but sometimes another cheesecake will win. The best bet I guess is cheesecake. :mrgreen:

You could try one of these great ideas, or go with what wins.... A cheesecake

Wampus
05-29-2013, 11:13 PM
We usually do well with cheesecake. :wink:

Chipper
05-30-2013, 06:09 AM
Cheesecake had done well for us.

fnbish
05-30-2013, 07:45 AM
Non cheesecake stuff I have seen win are ice cream, pies, crumbles, and cobblers.

SlugBug
05-30-2013, 07:50 AM
We have won with a strawberry pie, upside down cakes, a giant turtle like entry and cheesecake (of course). I do know some one who won with banana pudding and peanut butter pie.

Garrett
05-30-2013, 08:17 AM
I have seen more cheesecakes win than anything else.

Alexa RnQ
05-30-2013, 10:12 AM
I understand the cheesecake love and all, but when desserts are being judged by the same judges that just sat down to four mats of meat, I pick something that is light and refreshing but still has plenty of bang-bang, especially if the weather's hot.

At an INCREDIBLY hot show one time, we saw a tray of six beers embedded in crushed ice go into the tent, and heard a cheer go up inside! That entry didn't win, but you know it was much appreciated :becky:

fnbish
05-30-2013, 10:39 AM
I understand the cheesecake love and all, but when desserts are being judged by the same judges that just sat down to four mats of meat, I pick something that is light and refreshing but still has plenty of bang-bang, especially if the weather's hot.

At an INCREDIBLY hot show one time, we saw a tray of six beers embedded in crushed ice go into the tent, and heard a cheer go up inside! That entry didn't win, but you know it was much appreciated :becky:

Definitely a good point. Most of the time I see dessert judged on Friday night, but this year it has already been on Saturday twice. One time a team had like an orange sorbet with whip cream thing they let us try and extra of and it was awesome.

Basted moral support guy
05-30-2013, 02:51 PM
I think I saw cheesecake win once. The rest of the times were all cheesecake.

Uomograsso
05-30-2013, 04:36 PM
If dessert is judged after the meat categories, go for something sweet. One of the favorite desserts was a piping hot apple pie a team managed to fit in turn in box.

Outnumbered
05-30-2013, 06:17 PM
At Basswood a few weeks back, we did a Hamburger and fries basket made of cake. Got a perfect score. Looked awesome and tasted pretty good, too. We got the ultimate...a perfect 180. And we got third.

Behind a cheesecake.

gettinbasted
05-30-2013, 08:17 PM
At Basswood a few weeks back, we did a Hamburger and fries basket made of cake. Got a perfect score. Looked awesome and tasted pretty good, too. We got the ultimate...a perfect 180. And we got third.

Behind a cheesecake.

Everybody knows, a tie goes to the cheesecake

Butt Rubb'n BBQ
05-30-2013, 09:05 PM
Maybe I will just make a cheesecake:wacko:

Outnumbered
05-30-2013, 10:50 PM
Everybody knows, a tie goes to the cheesecake

I think the mistake we made is that the Hamburger cake didn't have cheese on it.

BMerrill
05-31-2013, 10:25 AM
Non-cheese cake entries usually have perfect 9's when garnished with 10-dollar bill doilies.

Podge
05-31-2013, 04:43 PM
Chocolate covered bacon bourbon cheesecake.

Butt Rubb'n BBQ
05-31-2013, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the good ideas.

Mustanger
05-31-2013, 06:18 PM

Behind a cheesecake.

Greg Vincent,

Was the hamburger and fries dessert entry at Basswood, Platte County yours?

How neat is that!

I improperly snuck out and observed some of the dessert entries as they were submitted.

Please do not tell anyone other than the 40,000 + BBQ Brethren who are reading this.

I got to meet your wife, girlfriend, significant other at the turn-in table. It was some lady that I had never seen before.

I was one of the judges at Basswood, Platte County.

Your dessert entry crossed my table.

I gave this entry a 9 - 9 - 9!

The hamburger and fries desert entry was the absolute most creative desert entry that I have ever seen in my entire BBQ judging career!!!

Apparently all of the other judges at my table thought so as well, and also gave you a 9 - 9 - 9!

Your desert submission really did impress me and the other 5 judges!!!

Some of the judges at this event were real closed mouth and did not openly discuss their scores, even after our scores had been officially turned in. I really do not know what that is all about.

So, apparently you made it through the gauntlet with a perfect score!!!

Congratulations from and to a fellow Nortlhlander!

My only question is how the heck does a team get a perfect 180, and only end up with third place???

Did they give you a perfect 180 pin?

If not, you need to contact the KCBS home office and request one. They will send you one.

I do realize that according to the KCBS rules that a tie breaker is determined by an "electronic coin toss."

My position is that if x number of teams tie for first place in any event, they ALL deserve first place honors.

At Mission, Kansas last year, there was a 9 way tie for first place in the desert competition. They did describe all 9 entries as a "perfect, perfect" score. Unfortunately, the teams ended up being ranked from 1 to 9. That is just not right. All of those teams deserved a first place ranking!

If I can get the Parkville folks off of their a$$es and sponser a 2015 BBQ contest, I will virtually guarantee that any first place ties will receive appropriate first place honors!!! Even including checks!!!

That is only just, right, fair and proper!

Greg:

Have you talked to Steve from Glasgow yet?

He does have a cooking spot reserved for you.

Steve is stressing out!

Please get in touch with him.

Sincerely.

Ken
The Mustanger

Parkville, MO 64152

jbrink01
06-01-2013, 11:05 AM
Bananas Foster Cheesecake.........

Coz
06-01-2013, 03:43 PM
I actually saw Bread pudding beat cheesecake .... once