PDA

View Full Version : Turn in temps.

NCGrimbo
02-28-2006, 12:48 PM
While reading about wishinfishin's rib woes, I got to wondering about temp of the meat at turn in time. I've not been in any competitions, so I have no frame of reference for this subject. I'm just wondering how hot or cold is the meat by the time the judges bite into it? I figure that you can't guarantee that it will be smoking hot by the time they bite into it. Especially if yours is one of the last ones sampled.

The_Kapn
02-28-2006, 01:15 PM
Judges do not expect smoking hot product right off the cooker.
There is a normal process of cooling from the time the meat is removed from the pit, through prep, and then the actual distribution process in the tent.

"Warm" and "fresh" is probably the normal expectation.

Some things can be done to help.
Keep prep time to a minimum. Experience and efficiency are the key here.
Get and stay organized with all your tools and stuff handy.
Find a "flow" that works for your team.
Avoid leaving the product out while your work on the "other" sample. Cover with foil, place on top of cooker or something to help hold heat while you work on that second Butt (or whatever) to select the best.
Avoid finishing the prep real early. Goal is to finish and walk to turn-in on time.
If desired, use towels or those fancy insulated blankets or carriers to hold the heat during transit.

Basically, don't stress over it. Just be efficient.

Now, COLD is a turnoff. The last time I judged, I had a couple of entries that seemed to come from a refig or cooler. WTF?
COLD is rare though.

Just my nickle--FWIW.

TIM

smokincracker
02-28-2006, 02:38 PM
My pork & brisket boxes are so hot you can hardly hold the bottom of the box to walk to the turn-in. Next contest I'm at watch "Army Man" Doug AKA "Crackers Pit Minder" run to the turn-in table as his HAND is cookin. (you got to know him)

I know I'm just not right for sayin that...

spicewine
02-28-2006, 03:44 PM
How Cruel to give a one armed guy a hot plate to carry!!!:rolleyes:

G$
02-28-2006, 05:03 PM
Judges do not expect smoking hot product right off the cooker.
TIM

Thanks for posting this. I like very hot food personally, and have always wondered about the expectations and experiences 15 minutes after food is boxed.

It is in fact one of the things I stressed about in my first and only mini comp.

CharlieBeasley
02-28-2006, 05:18 PM
Doug does more with one hand than I can with two! So hot at delivery?

HoDeDo
02-28-2006, 05:55 PM
Speed and efficency are key. Judges expect the food to be warm - I would get it to the judging tent with as much heat retained as possible... It is going to get put on a tray, waiting for 5 other entries to join it, get re-numbered, and carried to a table. Each sample is going to get judged.... starting with appearance -- so we are talking some potential serious time delay; depending on how well the sponsors run the competition.

I pre-prep all my trays with thier garnish, leaving a damp cloth in to keep the lettuce fresh. I also precut sprigs of parsley and keep them in ice water to keep them fresh as well - so I dont have to worry about cutting any while I am traying out the food. I am able to add my meat, and grap the "final touch" garnish and get the lid closed and food on the way. In the pic I attached, you can see the sprig tray at the top of the table. and the pork tray 1/2 foiled to keep everything Im not working with warm...

After our first contest last year, I quit using traditional garnish for the pork and brisket. KCBS rule changes allowed us to make the garnish optional. Every lil bit of time helps.

Bigmista
02-28-2006, 06:48 PM
Are you saying you don't garnish anymore?

Pigs on The Run
02-28-2006, 07:29 PM
hey andy where are the gloves

Sawdustguy
02-28-2006, 08:45 PM
If I am not mistaken. Per the KCBS rules there are to no points to be added or deducted due to the temperature of the food when judged.

HoDeDo
02-28-2006, 08:49 PM
Are you saying you don't garnish anymore?

I don't garnish my pork or brisket.... I put in a nice bed of meat.

On the chicken and ribs.... I still garnish - I think the box just looks a little better on those, since they dont fill out the box.

And, my scores on Appearance on the ungarnished boxes has been solid... Mokan does this too sometimes, and I believe his scores are consistant with or without the garnish.... Wayne?

HoDeDo
02-28-2006, 08:51 PM
hey andy where are the glovesNice Catch!!! Fark. I actually blew the latex gloves out all the time due to my fat fingers. I just washed incessantly. Now I have found the Nitrile gloves ( usually purple or blue) they are much thicker, have a texture for grip and work MUCH better :-D :mrgreen:

I highly suggest them.

ThomEmery
02-28-2006, 09:36 PM
I have Judged once and do not remember anything being Cold or cool
It was as expected 15 or so min off the smoker

Sawdustguy
02-28-2006, 11:23 PM
KCBS rule changes allowed us to make the garnish optional. Every lil bit of time helps.

I believe that garnish has always been optional.

Jeff_in_KC
03-01-2006, 07:58 AM
Nice Catch!!! Fark. I actually blew the latex gloves out all the time due to my fat fingers. I just washed incessantly. Now I have found the Nitrile gloves ( usually purple or blue) they are much thicker, have a texture for grip and work MUCH better :-D :mrgreen:

I highly suggest them.

I just bought a box of the purple nitrile gloves, Andy. Haven't had a chance to try 'em out yet but I'm glad to hear good things about them. I was frustrated with the thin non-latex gloves last year. Tore as many while putting them on as I did actually wear! :roll:

NCGrimbo
03-01-2006, 10:07 AM
Great replies guys. Thanks for the information.

HoDeDo
03-01-2006, 11:18 AM
I believe that garnish has always been optional.

KCBS didn't make garnish optional until 2005. Prior to that, it was required.

There are other sanctioning bodies that have never required garnish.... IMHO - garnish is a waste of time and money. <insert soapbox here>
I shouldn't have to spend $10 on lettuce and parsley - so that my meat can get judged. Let the meat stand on its own! :wink: <exits soapbox>

homebbq
03-01-2006, 03:37 PM
KCBS didn't make garnish optional until 2005. Prior to that, it was required.

There are other sanctioning bodies that have never required garnish.... IMHO - garnish is a waste of time and money. <insert soapbox here>
I shouldn't have to spend $10 on lettuce and parsley - so that my meat can get judged. Let the meat stand on its own! :wink: <exits soapbox>

Actually, according to Carolyn a year or so back (at Lakeland right after the rule changes) , its always been optional, but the language actually stating "garnish is optional" was new.

I agree with you 100% on your opinion of garnish, the majority of contests I do, don't allow it, and its great. But when its KCBS, we spend alot of time looking for it, then a cooler specifically for the garnish, then the time to wash and trim etc... One of these days I will get up the nerve to just not use it.

HoDeDo
03-01-2006, 03:49 PM
Actually, according to Carolyn a year or so back (at Lakeland right after the rule changes) , its always been optional, but the language actually stating "garnish is optional" was new...

... One of these days I will get up the nerve to just not use it.

Thanks for the detail - I didn't realize it was just the language that was fuzzy.

Get up the nerve not to use it... it is very liberating. I still use it for ribs and chicken, where I could have alot of white showing through -- but for pork and brisket, I dont think I will ever use it again - since my appearance scores are consistant, using it or not. Which KCBS events do you get to? You can check out my bare container scores live if we are crossing paths at some point. :grin: Good luck

homebbq
03-01-2006, 04:24 PM
Which KCBS events do you get to? You can check out my bare container scores live if we are crossing paths at some point. :grin: Good luck

We always do the 3 or 4 KCBS contests in Florida, and we usually get to Dillard GA, Tryon NC, and Lebanon TN. This year I think we will get to Sevierville TN, and I may try to squeeze in a few more this year, we will see. I will have to see if I can solicit some help on some others.

Pigs on The Run
03-01-2006, 10:37 PM
I wear gloves for a living . I just cant get used to wearing purple gloves.
John