PDA

View Full Version : Champion/Tractor supply generators?

QTEX
05-27-2013, 10:57 AM
See they are on sale, $299.00 for a small 3500 watt. Only need it to run a night lamp during prep and a small portable ac unit to sleep more comfy at night. Curious if anyone has used one at comps for any length of time and their reliability? Tnx

txschutte
05-27-2013, 11:12 AM
They are loud like any other cheap gennie. You may get some complaints from your neighbors about the quiet time rule.

jmoney7269
05-27-2013, 11:45 AM
They are loud like any other cheap gennie. You may get some complaints from your neighbors about the quiet time rule.
+1
Yessir you can make all the noise you want during the day but at night if there is aloud generator surging and sounding like its running straight piped like a cummins there is gonna be problems. It's just a respect thing, and if that don't work, the. We get the promoter involved. Get a Honda iU-1000 and be done with it. You can have a conversation right next to it.

QTEX
05-27-2013, 01:25 PM
Wonder if someone sells a quiet muffler? I know Hondas are the best and the quietest but also expensive in comparison, just seems like a high investment for what I need it to do.

Smokin J's
05-27-2013, 02:02 PM
Hondas are well worth the extra investment! Very quiet and they last forever!

Pappy Q
05-27-2013, 02:10 PM
I have one and while it's a good generator for the money, it's too loud for me to use at night during a comp.

caseydog
05-27-2013, 02:21 PM
Wonder if someone sells a quiet muffler? I know Hondas are the best and the quietest but also expensive in comparison, just seems like a high investment for what I need it to do.

I exactly what you mean. I really want a Honda for my camper, but I can't afford one. And, I have not found ANY generators out there that can match the quiet of a Honda.

CD

QTEX
05-27-2013, 07:10 PM
Agree the Hondas are so quiet.

bigdogphin
05-27-2013, 07:16 PM
FYI... Loud generators are very annoying and inconsiderate to those competing around you. Depending on your power need get a couple batteries and an inverter....

BBQ Bandit
05-27-2013, 09:08 PM
Champion now has a low noise inverter (honda clone).
Bought two of them a year ago @ $550 a piece shipped... capable to be tied in parallel as well.

Amazon.com: Champion Power Equipment 73531i 2000 Watt Portable Gas Inverter Generator: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Muzzlebrake
05-27-2013, 09:53 PM
Champion now has a low noise inverter (honda clone).
Bought two of them a year ago @ $550 a piece shipped... capable to be tied in parallel as well.

Amazon.com: Champion Power Equipment 73531i 2000 Watt Portable Gas Inverter Generator: Patio, Lawn & Garden (http://www.amazon.com/Champion-Equipment-Portable-Inverter-Generator/dp/B006JZS13S/ref=pd_sxp_grid_i_0_1)

I have had one of these for a couple of years now. I have had people actually comment on how quiet it is. You won't notice it at all during the day and at night while you can hear it, it won't keep you up or annoy the neighbors.

I forget what I paid but I'm pretty sure it was under $500 @ Sam's Club. The carb has a tendency to get clogged easily if you run regular gas. I started using premium with a little fuel treatment, should help,with that.

bignburlyman
05-28-2013, 08:17 AM
Is it possible to build some kind of sound dampening enclosure to put around the noisier generators? Something as simple as a large cardboard box with foam glued to the inside that would direct the sound up instead of out? I know you would have to have enough room for air to circulate to cool and vent exhaust but I always wondered if it would make a difference in the sound levels around.

QTEX
05-28-2013, 03:20 PM
I'm just wondering about a better quieter aftermarket muffler, have bought them for my dirt bikes and they make them for cars. Will add that I do agree totally on the loud generator being a huge annoying thing, have parked next to one plenty of times and hated it so I dont want to be that guy. Just didnt want to fork out the cash for something not used that much, will look into the above mentioned one and the least expensive honda too, like I said I only need it for one night light and a portable ac unit. I have already tried the inverter and deep cycle battery route, not good enough.
Thanks for the replys all.

QTEX
05-28-2013, 07:41 PM
Just came from Sams where they have the BlackMax 3000 watt with a Honda GC 190 engine for only $399.00. Anybody have feedback on that one?

Sawdustguy
05-28-2013, 08:08 PM
Just came from Sams where they have the BlackMax 3000 watt with a Honda GC 190 engine for only $399.00. Anybody have feedback on that one?

I may be mistaken but I do not think that is a quiet generator either.

sdbbq1234
05-28-2013, 09:06 PM
^^^^^^ +1

Check out the SAMs web site for this unit and compare to the other Honda EU2000i. It will be noisy at night.

I just wish I cold afford one of the EU2000i models.....

wallace

jmoney7269
05-29-2013, 08:10 AM
still loud
cut back on whatever you can to save some money for 2-3 months. no bbq practice, no comps, no traveling, no eating out and before you know it, you will have a honda 2000 IU. they are super nice. i have a husky with a subaru engine thats only 2250W and its twice as loud as my onan 5500. lol the onan actually uses less fuel under the same load. i know that the hondas can run like a week on a gallon of fuel lol