PDA

View Full Version : How to pull pork faster

Smoke House Moe
05-27-2013, 10:22 AM
Just had my first "legal" catering gig last weekend. Everything went smooth, but the last thing that we were waiting on was the pulling.

I will not adulterate the pork by chopping.

There are many devices out their for faster pulling. What is the best? Bear claws, the pork puller, etc?

Thanks.

cpw
05-27-2013, 10:26 AM
I would imagine for pure speed, you'd want to look at the Ro-man pork puller. I've also seen someone use one of those paddles for mixing drywall mud. It took all of about 15 seconds to shred the entire butt.

nthole
05-27-2013, 10:48 AM
I have the Roman Pork Puller and can testify that it really does make 'pulled' pork. You CAN overdo it VERY FAST, but if you follow what he says and pulse it just a few times it does a great job and can go through a case of pork butts in a couple minutes. I only do two butts at a time and then dump into pans, two more, dump, etc. If you were using a really big cooler so that the meat wasn't too deep you could pull a whole lot at once if you wanted.

mikeleonard81
05-28-2013, 12:04 AM
I use bear claws and heat resistant gloves and Im at about 8 minutes a butt and I'm real picky though on what I want to sell. I would cry if I seen someone bite into grissle from one of my sandwiches!

cynfulsmokersbbq
05-28-2013, 12:14 PM
Hands.....

If you can get the butts done, let them rest for some time in the cambro while foiled, they will almost fall apart themselves, and the grissle and major fat is easy to pull out.

ssbbqguy
05-28-2013, 12:52 PM
Eight minutes and manual vs. 20-30 seconds. You have your answer and as said it doesn't take much to overdue. No comparison to the Ro-Man tool. Steve.

landarc
05-28-2013, 12:58 PM
Hard to beat the Ro-Man or similar device for speed. It isn't as precise as doing by hand.

FTR, I don't think chopping is adulterating pork. I prefer coarsely chopped pork for sandwiches.

cynfulsmokersbbq
05-28-2013, 01:30 PM
watching the youtube video of the roman pork puller it looks like he got very nice product.

For those that use it, do you pull the fat cap first? Are you able to pull chunks of grissel and the large chunks of fat from the product or does it grind them fine?

nthole
05-28-2013, 02:06 PM
I pull the fat cap and separate the chunks along the major veins of fat, pulling that out and throwing it away. So I usually end up throwing a butt into the cooler I use in about 5 pieces and then I hit it with the Roman.

Cack
05-28-2013, 02:33 PM
I guess I understand "why" you'd want one of those pork pullers, but to me, pulling the pork is park of what makes Qing so fun.

That thing just looked like pork murder.

Lake Dogs
05-28-2013, 02:45 PM
I guess I understand "why" you'd want one of those pork pullers, but to me, pulling the pork is park of what makes Qing so fun.

I completely agree, but I surely do see where nthole's hybrid methodology could be used.

For me, personally, and I'm getting ready to do another cook for 100 people who will eat twice (at least) each during the day), there's getting ALL the fat off, and the other part is leaving pieces large enough so that they have a small chance of still being moist 6 hours after being pulled...

I do it by hand, but I do understand that if you dont have enough help that a back-log can happen quickly. Hey, crack the whip! Tell 'em (them thar puller folks) to quit eatin' and pull some for the customers!!!

Pole D
05-28-2013, 02:58 PM
So he won't "adulterate" the pork by chopping but will use a drill to shred?

You should be able to pull it by hand really quick if its at the right temp.

mikeleonard81
05-29-2013, 12:11 AM
+1 on that pole D

redaub
05-29-2013, 12:44 AM

That pork was definately "adulterated"!! or maybe violated:shocked:

Smoke House Moe
05-29-2013, 10:37 AM
Correct, you can pull easily when it's the right temp...and still be on the same butt five minutes into. OR be on my third with a puller.
Cooking for self and family = hand pull
Cooking for masses = puller

***Found a blog that suggested using rotisserie spindles and the rotisserie claw as a puller alternative.
Luckily I had some extra's. Let's just say this will work just like the Ro-Man Puller, but I won't be $70 in the hole afterwards. Plus you have two (two spindles, two forks).

Jacked UP BBQ
05-29-2013, 01:59 PM
Roman pork puller breaks, I had a few. I cook and pull 700lbs a cook and its all done by hand. I am looking into a meat shredder though. They make machines specifically for pulling pork

Bamabuzzard
05-29-2013, 02:06 PM
Have a hot chick in front of you. You'll pull pork faster than you've ever pulled it before. :becky:

Lake Dogs
05-29-2013, 02:20 PM
Have a hot chick in front of you. You'll pull pork faster than you've ever pulled it before. :becky:
Who knows, perhaps she'll sample some and offer to help pull 'ya pork :doh:

PorkQPine
05-29-2013, 03:01 PM
For doing lots of butts you can't beat a Buffalo chopper.

bizznessman
05-29-2013, 05:31 PM
For doing lots of butts you can't beat a Buffalo chopper.

Made by Hobart. Not sure if I like the look of the final product. Looks a bit to "fine" to me. But it is fast. :wink:

LINK

landarc
05-29-2013, 05:52 PM
Always wondered what a Buffalo Chopper looked like inside the shroud

bwsy2k
05-29-2013, 08:35 PM
Would also highly recommend the Roman pork puller. I have 2 of them, worth there weight in gold.

Butt Rubb'n BBQ
05-29-2013, 09:54 PM
When I do large quantities of pulled pork at work I put in a mixer with the paddle attachment and it pulls it apart great and very quickly.

Jeff Therrell
05-29-2013, 11:28 PM
I hand pull all of mine at about 150 degrees and I can pull all the fat out and have it in the pan in 3 minutes. I pull 3 to 4 cases a day on the trailer. I make every piece of meat the same no matter who is eating it.
Thanks, Jeff
Sweetfire BBQ

jestridge
06-03-2013, 09:32 AM
Duah , your hands

Sauce Dog
06-04-2013, 12:18 AM
Bear claws work well when shredding bark. Nothing wrong with chopped…ever had BBQ in the Carolinas? They know a thing or two about it :mrgreen:

BigBellyBBQ
06-06-2013, 06:01 AM

you have to think about fun if you only have to do one or two butts, but preppiing 20 butts by hand is not fun, and the back really starts to ach..

bluzieq
06-06-2013, 06:58 AM
I use bear claws and heat resistant gloves and Im at about 8 minutes a butt and I'm real picky though on what I want to sell. I would cry if I seen someone bite into grissle from one of my sandwiches!ditto,bear claws are great.I too want every bite to wow people,not just "yeah,its good".