PDA

View Full Version : Where to go in Austin?

medeloach
05-20-2013, 06:42 PM
Got two nights there for a work conference. Suggestions? I looked on Yelp and there appear to be MANY options...

gruene smoke
05-29-2013, 01:20 PM
Well, if you got a couple of hours to stand in line go to Franklin's. They open at 11 but people start lining up at 9am. If you want dinner and the whole 'experience' go to The Salt Lick in Driftwood (dont go to the Round Rock or Airport locations). TSL gets a backlash that places get after they become SO successful and it's really popular but its still REALLY good.

My personal recommendation is if you have the time go to Lockhart. It's a short drive on 130 (85 mph speed limit) and visit Kruez's, Smitty's, and Blacks

javahog2002
06-01-2013, 06:22 PM
Iron Works is in downtown Austin. If your conference is there, its a good lunch spot.

jcinadr
06-18-2013, 03:34 PM
Green Mesquite has been on Food Networks DDD (I barely remember eating there a long time ago - but think they do a turboQ, not necessarily my favorite style - personally I prefer the owner's restaurant Schultz Beer Garden (not bbq though)). Time permitting, the traditional Austin road trip BBQ is the Salt Lick in Driftwood (have not been in years, known for its all you can eat plate which is now over $20). That said, in Austin proper Franklin's is the newest hippster place to be (good BBQ, but now now trending). I used to enjoy Ruby's (not to be confused with Rudy's) and Berts (burnt down) near UT. House Park is another older place nearish the Capital that I have no complaints about. 2 that I have not eaten at are Stubb's (known for their music on Red River, nearish to the Capital) and Iron Works.

House Park used to only be open till they sold out - usually made it through lunch. Franklin's supposedly does not make it through lunch, you better be in line before the door opens if you want to get any.

+1 for Lockhart. Likewise many will recommend Elgin (had some good mutton there). Both are also traditional Austin road trip BBQ. Last time I tried Lockhart we were running a bit late (7ish in the evening) and selection was VERY limited (sorry but I don't recall the names with the places in Lockhart).

fwiw, saw a UDS inside Sugar Shack near UT a year or so ago. They were not open at the time, so did not get to try their Q.