PDA

View Full Version : New to Smoking from Newark, Ca

Jr2bail
05-18-2013, 11:46 PM
Hello everyone...

I currently use a 3 burner gas grill made by BBQ Galore. I have been wanting to learn the art of smoking for quite some time and have been considering purchasing a smoker. I found the Brethern site during my search for tips on what kind of smoker to pick up...tons of great info here by the way; but after perusing the forums, and a few trips to various stores, I have only added to my indecision as to what I really want in a smoker.

I initially set my eyes on a pooper type set up my parents use due to the set it/forget it factor; but just can't justify the expense considering my indecision and being at the entry level of this hobby. After a considerable amount of time perusing the forums I had settled on the 22.5 WSM; that was until I found the forum on smoking with a Weber Kettle. I just so happen to have a 22.5 Kettle proudly sitting in my patio. I have not used it in a few years due to laziness on my part since I started relying on the gasser.

Tomorrow I intend to smoke ribs and chicken (chicken to please my daughter who does not care for beef), using the one of methods I learned today. Any tips for cooking both at same time would be appreciated. Once I get a few good smokes in with the kettle I will be better informed as to what type of smoker I really want....at least I hope so!

Enjoy a Happy Sunday tomorrow.

Mark Warren
05-19-2013, 12:10 AM
Coals to one side and the meat to the other - no direct heat until the end of the cook. Welcome to the forums and enjoy your day tomorrow.

Kenn007BBQ
05-19-2013, 04:22 AM
yep what warren said! welcome to the forum too. i started smoking on my generic 22.5 weber grab the food grates with the hinges for faster refueling and buy two thermometers. 1 for monitoring the temp in your cooker and one for checking temps for your food

TY~DY
05-19-2013, 07:44 AM
Welcome, from Naples, FL!

Bob S
05-19-2013, 08:05 AM
Welcome to the Brethren!

PaPaQ
05-19-2013, 08:17 AM
Welcome!

bluetang
05-19-2013, 10:25 AM
Welcome, come on in, take your shoes off and sit a spell.

R2Egg2Q
05-19-2013, 01:50 PM
Welcome aboard neighbor! I think you have a good plan there to get used to smoking on your kettle before deciding on another cooker.

Jr2bail
05-19-2013, 04:54 PM
Well I have one hour left on my smoke and it sure smells delicious! I am using the Asian recipe posted by PatioDaddio and the Kettle set up landarc suggested. Thanks for sharing your wisdom, much appreciated fellas. I will report back with pictures and comments after the eatin begins.

Hope everyone is having a great Sunday! :icon_smile_tongue:

Jr2bail
05-19-2013, 04:56 PM
Did as you suggested Ken 007 and Marc....and all is going well so far. Thank you!

Jr2bail
05-20-2013, 09:51 AM
Ribs and chicken finished in 3 hours. Looked great with nice smoke ring and tasted even better. Got great reviews from the fam so all went well. I tried to attach a pic but the system did not let me....I believe because I am a new user to the brethren. Anyhow, appreciate the warm welcome and friendly advice. I look forward to more cooks.

Have a great week Brethren!

DriverWild
05-21-2013, 09:47 AM
Welcome! You're on your way.