PDA

View Full Version : How many sanctioning bodies are in Texas?.And which one is the most creditable

big matt
05-14-2013, 08:33 AM
I know TX has a bunch of different bodies but which one is the best and most respected...my guess would be IBCA since they also do comps outside of TX..just wanted a little light shed on why there are so many?

hcj3rd
05-14-2013, 10:16 AM
Politics is the reason. IBCA and Texas Gulf Coast are probably the most prominent. They both have almost identical rules. Both organizations have problems making significant changes due to old school vs new. I think Texas Gulf Coast has a chance to become the leading one in Texas. They are a smaller organization which makes them more nimble and adapt to changes more easily. This is only my opinion and I am sure there are others out there.

Westexbbq
05-14-2013, 10:18 AM
I believe it is because the state is so big and there are so many contests on any given date that it made sense to have more than one. Also could be a regional thing to try and keep things relatively close by geographically. I am sure a current native Texan will chime in soon to clarify.

http://stolenmomentscooking.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/texas.jpg (http://stolenmomentscooking.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/texas.jpg)

Central Texas Barbeque Association (http://www.ctbahome.com/) – “CTBA was formed to establish fair and equal guidelines for all competitive BBQ cooks who insist on well-run and organized barbeque cookoffs. The Central Texas Barbeque Association is a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting barbeque – barbeque cooking, Bar-B-Que contest, B-B-Q eating, BBQ whatever – and having a good time while doing so. No matter how you spell “BARBEQUE” it is the hottest thing going. The CTBA was founded in 1992 with 10 members and grew to over 100 in less than a year.”
Lonestar Barbecue Society (http://www.lonestarbarbecue.com/) – “The Lone Star Barbecue Society exists to foster and promote the furthering and appreciation of the State Food of Texas – BBQ! The Lone Star Barbecue Society sanctions competition BBQ cookoffs, and provides fair rules and fair judging for all contestants who participate.”
Texas Gulf Coast BBQ Cooker’s Association (http://www.tgcbca.org/) – “The purpose of the organization is to develop, strengthen, encourage and maintain equitable barbecue cooking competitions; and, to further support the organizing and promotion of barbecue cooking competition for charitable and/or non profit purposes. Our membership is composed of anyone interested in the purpose of encouraging and supporting the improvement of judging, organizing and promoting barbecue cook-off events. TGCBCA’s main objective is to insure a fair and equitable judging for all competitive cookers at a TGCBCA sanctioned event.”

big matt
05-14-2013, 10:41 AM
I believe it is because the state is so big and there are so many contests on any given date that it made sense to have more than one. Also could be a regional thing to try and keep things relatively close by geographically. I am sure a current native Texan will chime in soon to clarify.

http://stolenmomentscooking.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/texas.jpg (http://stolenmomentscooking.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/texas.jpg)

Central Texas Barbeque Association (http://www.ctbahome.com/) – “CTBA was formed to establish fair and equal guidelines for all competitive BBQ cooks who insist on well-run and organized barbeque cookoffs. The Central Texas Barbeque Association is a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting barbeque – barbeque cooking, Bar-B-Que contest, B-B-Q eating, BBQ whatever – and having a good time while doing so. No matter how you spell “BARBEQUE” it is the hottest thing going. The CTBA was founded in 1992 with 10 members and grew to over 100 in less than a year.”
Lonestar Barbecue Society (http://www.lonestarbarbecue.com/) – “The Lone Star Barbecue Society exists to foster and promote the furthering and appreciation of the State Food of Texas – BBQ! The Lone Star Barbecue Society sanctions competition BBQ cookoffs, and provides fair rules and fair judging for all contestants who participate.”
Texas Gulf Coast BBQ Cooker’s Association (http://www.tgcbca.org/) – “The purpose of the organization is to develop, strengthen, encourage and maintain equitable barbecue cooking competitions; and, to further support the organizing and promotion of barbecue cooking competition for charitable and/or non profit purposes. Our membership is composed of anyone interested in the purpose of encouraging and supporting the improvement of judging, organizing and promoting barbecue cook-off events. TGCBCA’s main objective is to insure a fair and equitable judging for all competitive cookers at a TGCBCA sanctioned event.”

Very well put..thank you for some details.so it's kinda like the book Texas Legends of BBQ in some respects..TX BBQ is such a melting pot of culture and styles of cooking at least from what I've read..as far as comps go are all of these different bodies doing the same type of cook offs and meats..chicken,spares and brisket with no garnish?

big matt
05-14-2013, 10:56 AM
Another question..which contest is the biggest and most prestigious in Tx..I know about HLSR is there another or is that the one?

CivilWarBBQ
05-14-2013, 02:42 PM
I'm assuming you intend to cook a contest in Texas?

The reason I ask is that the IBCA not exactly respected here in Georgia. There was only a single event sanctioned by that organization in our state, and it did not have a very good reputation.

A lot of the perception of a sanctioning body comes from the performance of the people Repping contests in an area. I'm sure inside of Texas you would have more choice of Reps and have better luck getting good ones than in the wilderness outside the Republic.

Hawg Father of Seoul
05-14-2013, 04:25 PM
I like IBCA. Even at two first year events, it went off great.

SDAR
05-14-2013, 05:32 PM
I may be wrong, but I think the "reps" are the organization generally a charity putting on the cooks. There are head judges assigned to territories like the panhandle.

Cmikes
05-14-2013, 06:04 PM
I like CTBA better than all of them. Never cooked a TGCBCA. Not a big fan of LSBS, because you have to cook spare ribs and chicken halves. They'll also throw your brisket out if it isn't sliced within a certain thickness. CTBA allows any thickness on the brisket, any type of chicken, and spares or baby backs. So long as you have X amount of bite sized pieces in your turn in tray plus a show piece. The most prominent cook off in Texas is probably Meridian. HLSR is kind of a joke, because they compare your brisket score to rib and chicken scores. I don't feel it a very fair judging system.

CivilWarBBQ
05-15-2013, 12:39 AM
I may be wrong, but I think the "reps" are the organization generally a charity putting on the cooks. There are head judges assigned to territories like the panhandle.

Yes, I believe you are correct. IBCA calls the person who represents the sanctioning body "Head Judge". KCBS calls them "Rep". Different nomenclature, same job.

JS-TX
05-15-2013, 01:11 AM
Another question..which contest is the biggest and most prestigious in Tx..I know about HLSR is there another or is that the one?

I haven't been around the comp scene too long, but I can tell you there are several big comps in TX hosted by IBCA, Tx gulf coast and LSBS. Meridian and the SA stock show rodeo are pretty huge. I'm not sure if any one of them is more prestigious than the other. To pull out a win at any huge comp. is obviously an accomplishment. As mentioned IBCA (the biggest), Tx gulf coast and LSBS all have similar rules and turn-ins. CTBA is different, never cooked one before either. Houston live stock comp is not sanctioned and they go by their own rules.

SDAR
05-15-2013, 10:47 AM
For instance...I've got a competition this weekend in Amarillo that is the same event every year. It is called Homer's Backyard Ball. It is a big one, probably 80-100 teams each year. It is a beneft for Make A Wish foundation and the head judge is assigned to this territory from IBCA and has been for several years.

The accomodations/entertainment are from the event organizer. The competition is organized by the head judge.

bruno994
05-15-2013, 10:52 AM
Several good points made above. I have cooked TGCBCA (once) and IBCA 6 times, except for the saucing and cropping rules (TGCBCA allows it), both are pretty much the same. LSBS and CTBA are too far away from me to travel to any of their cooks, which leads us to another point of why Texas has so many sanctioning bodies, sheer size. On any given weekend in Texas, there could be at least 10 different IBCA cook offs, with anywhere from 300 to well over 400 teams cooking (total) in those events (any other states with that number?). Texas also has the Go Texan events in a number of different counties across the state that lead up to the HLSR.
As far as most prestigious, HLSR (even with crazy rules), San Antonio Rodeo, Humble Rodeo, Meridian, Grand Prairie to just name a few.

jmoney7269
05-15-2013, 11:43 AM

IBCA is probably the most known. I like them all but my my favorite is CTBA. I like the bite sized pieces and showpiece. We got mad skills on making a beautiful full box that is juicy like a muffugler! The Houston rodeo doesn't pay 1 cent for winnings, so it's a no go for me. I would say the meridian state championship would be the most prestigious to win in Texas

big matt
05-15-2013, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the replies guys..man there are more than I thought!.I guess it really comes down to who you ask which one is best and all have valid reasons as to why.Texas truly is its own world when it comes to bbq and it 's very interesting to me..out here it's all KCBS mostly with some IBCA sprinkled in here and there..and this brings me to my next question with all of those different bodies how is the best cooker in TX determined?.I'd say Johnny is the most well known and has won the Jack twice and is nationally known but he's mainly a KCBS cook..who is the most dominant inside Tx the last 15 years?

Candy Sue
05-15-2013, 01:48 PM
Yes, I believe you are correct. IBCA calls the person who represents the sanctioning body "Head Judge". KCBS calls them "Rep". Different nomenclature, same job.

Only if you are saying both the "head judge" and "contest rep" are officials administering contest rules. Jobs and work required is very different between KCBS and Texas sanctioning groups.

Cmikes
05-15-2013, 02:02 PM
Big Matt, I'm not sure how they would figure the best cooker in Texas. For a few years I thought it would be cool for all sanctioning bodies to send their top 5-10 cookers to compete against each other for a true Texas Championship, I'm just not sure which channels it needs to go through to get it off the ground and going. Could have it at a centralized location such as Austin and use a 3rd party organizations rules such as KCBS so no one group has an upper hand.

Jorge
05-15-2013, 02:03 PM
I'd say Johnny is the most well known and has won the Jack twice and is nationally known but he's mainly a KCBS cook..who is the most dominant inside Tx the last 15 years?

Ronnie Wade comes to mind.

Edit: and he and Michelle don't do too bad cooking KCBS either.

big matt
05-15-2013, 02:48 PM
Ronnie Wade comes to mind.

Edit: and he and Michelle don't do too bad cooking KCBS either.

I was thinking about him too..when I talked to him at the KOTS last December he said he had 115 grands and I've heard he's already got 6 this year..incredible to say the least!