PDA

View Full Version : July Road Trip/Ontario-Austin

smokainmuskoka
05-14-2013, 07:23 AM
My family is planning a road trip from home in Huntsville, Ontario, Canada to Austin, Texas. Our route has us crossing the border at Detroit and going south through Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky and Tennessee, then west through Arkansas and into Texas. We'll probably get as far as San Antonio.

I've been looking at food blogs and review sites for places to try (or avoid) along the way, but I think I trust the Brethren's opinion in this realm above all others.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Matt

brandonh1987
05-14-2013, 09:49 PM
You should change your route to Kansas City so you can have the BEST bbq in the world. If not, go to franklins in austin, tx.

smokainmuskoka
05-15-2013, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. Franklin's is on the list and a side trip through Lockhart. We may do a loop on the way home through KC. The route isn't 100% yet.

I've already been looking at existing threads that concern areas we'll be travelling through, not just posting a question out of laziness.

1MoreFord
05-15-2013, 07:19 PM
Read my post in here if you haven't already. You need to know about the detour at the least.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160602

smokainmuskoka
05-16-2013, 06:02 AM
1More - Thanks. I've been trying to look at thread with place names we plan to travel through, so I had seen your thread with the detour warning. I'll keep it in mind alonf that leg of our route.

gruene smoke
05-29-2013, 01:23 PM
If you're going to Franklin's line up by 9 am.

Since you are planning a side trip to Lockhart, stop buy City Market in Luling. That's my #1 BBQ joint in Texas.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
05-29-2013, 01:27 PM
If you're going to Franklin's line up by 9 am.

Since you are planning a side trip to Lockhart, stop buy City Market in Luling. That's my #1 BBQ joint in Texas.

Agree.

Bring food, water, a chair and wear Depends. That line at Franklin's is long and depressing once you see people cutting in line in front of you to join their designated place holder.

smokainmuskoka
05-30-2013, 06:44 AM
Franklin is closed for vacation except for the last full day we're in town(Saturday). Iwas thinking 8/8:30 for lining up.

I'm sure whatever I eat while we're there will be light years ahead of what's available to me locally(my backyard is pretty good though...).

Thanks for the suggestions.