PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix to Nashville and Memphis

Desert Dweller
05-10-2013, 01:33 PM
Alright boys and girls, I need some suggestions. Going to leave Phoenix (Mesa) and head up through the White Mountains to I-40, then it's I-40 straight to Nashville. I am looking to hit as many GREAT bbq joints as possible. We will be two days going and returning home, and 10 days split between Nashville and Memphis. HELP!

1MoreFord
05-10-2013, 08:24 PM
There's a thread or two about this already so a little search will go a long ways to fill out some opinions but I'll start.

Little Rock area. There's the original Whole Hog Cafe on Cantrell Rd., Sim's BBQ and it's mustard sauce on S. Broadway, and Lindsay's Hospitality House bbq on Curtis Sykes Dr in N. Little Rock off I-30. Both are best visited for lunch.

Then there's Nick's in Carlisle though I like their catfish better'n their Q.

You really need to pay attention to this part for the detour past the construction on 40. Take the 183 exit off I-40 at Carlisle and travel south to Hwy 70 past Nick's and then take 70 to the east thru DeVall's Bluff stopping there to eat at Craig's BBQ. Just ask GTR 'bout this place. After Craig's continue east on 70 until you reach Brinkley where you get back on 40.

In Memphis I can only recommend Central BBQ on Central - not their other location.

Gus' Chicken, Germantown Commissary, and the BBQ Shop are on my to do list. IMO Rendezvous and Interstate are only worth going to so you can say you've been there.

Don't forget to take the detour on the way home too so you won't risk getting sitting in traffic for hours on 40 in the case of a wreck on 40 in the construction zone.

MJ_Tenn
05-12-2013, 10:13 PM
While in Nashville it's got to be Jack's BBQ at 416 Broadway . It's close to the Ryman and the food is fantastic!!

Desert Dweller
05-12-2013, 11:08 PM
Appreciate the pointers. Keep the suggestions coming please.

BB-Kuhn
05-14-2013, 03:49 PM
I'm going to Nashville next week on a motorcycle trip - heading to Jack's!!!

cameraman
05-14-2013, 06:40 PM
Jacks may be the the best bbq downtown, but the best bbq in middle TN is Martin' (http://martinsbbqjoint.com/)s, down the road in Nolensville and soon to be in Mt. Juliet. It's all that and then some.

deguerre
05-16-2013, 04:07 PM
Jacks may be the the best bbq downtown, but the best bbq in middle TN is Martin' (http://martinsbbqjoint.com/)s, down the road in Nolensville and soon to be in Mt. Juliet. It's all that and then some.

Heck. Email them and they'll even give you directions! The sent me a google map within just a couple hours when I asked a year or so ago.