PDA

View Full Version : Dream BBQ class

PapaBearsHickoryPit
05-09-2013, 10:36 AM
If you could take the class of your dreams what would it be. For those that have taken a class which one blew you away with the results. Doing my research now so I have plenty of time to save up!!

fnbish
05-09-2013, 10:42 AM
Any class that gets me results :razz:. I took the Swamp Boys/3Eyz super school earlier this year and it was worth every penny. So either of those teams are great and I highly recommend. The results we are getting now are much much gooder :becky:.

K-Train
05-09-2013, 10:47 AM
I took Chris Harts class. Since taking it I've had two contests and two top 10's. Before his class zero top 10's. Was well worth it. If I could take another I'd go to Trigg's just to hear his stories.

PapaBearsHickoryPit
05-09-2013, 11:04 AM
I wonder if they will offer another 3eyz/swamp boys class next year. I bet that one was awesome!

deguerre
05-09-2013, 11:07 AM
Actually, you know, I'd really like to take moocow's UDS class.

Mister Bob
05-09-2013, 11:09 AM
I've been to Rod Gray's (from Pellet Envy) class in KC and 3 Eyz and Swamp Boys class in FL, and both were great. My scores improved dramatically after Rod's class.

3 Eyz / Swamp Boys class was this spring and I haven't competed since, but I can tell you in was a great class with very detailed information on methods, time and temp, meat sources and recipes too. Recipes provided by 3 Eyz only, Rub was a little tighter with his, but all in all an excellent experience and well worth it in my honest opinion.

Kave Dweller
05-09-2013, 11:12 AM
I had zero calls in three comps before swamp boys, 4 calls in my only comp since. . . I'd say i picked up some pointers, granted I was a newbie newbie, but when your lucky enough to finish like that, can't argue the result of the the class. Plus I enjoyed the class.

fnbish
05-09-2013, 11:56 AM
I wonder if they will offer another 3eyz/swamp boys class next year. I bet that one was awesome!

Yeah it was great that their schedules matched up. Prior to the class we had only ever cracked the top 10 overall twice in about 25 competitions during my first 2 years of competing. We did our first competition in Feb of this year (our 3rd year) and that finish was mediocre at best.

Then we took the class in March and in the the 3 competitions since we were 5th, 3rd, and 10th overall with some good chicken calls in the mix too (along with other calls). We still have a long way to go to keep getting better as practicing what is learned is very important, but both Rub & Dan and Chris have my endorsement.......for what it is worth :loco:.

Lake Dogs
05-09-2013, 01:10 PM
Dream Class: Myron Mixon's

2nd Choice: Melissa and Pete of Yazoo's Delta Q

JD McGee
05-09-2013, 01:21 PM
We have taken Paul Kirk's, Johhny Trigg's, and Tippy Canoe / Big T'Z "Cornfed Cookin' Class...all were outstanding and helped raise our scores significantly. Our next class will probably be Rod Gray or Myron Mixon unless TrueBud is having one...lol!

cpw
05-09-2013, 01:28 PM
I'd love to do the 3 eyz/Swamp Boys class.

Big Ugly's BBQ
05-09-2013, 01:31 PM

Thanks everyone for the kind words and feedback. Although we dont have anything planned or discussed as of yet, ya never know, we just might try to do it again next year......

We had as much fun as our students did, and the weather is soooo much nicer down there that time of year...........

We are having a class in June, if anyone is interested, at the BBQ Guru World HQ's......

Timmy Mac
05-09-2013, 03:27 PM
Couple question's to ask? Do you want to cook hot and fast or low and slow? Do you want to learn how to cook a whole hog? Do they cook on the same smoker as you? Also does location of the class matter? Do you want a hands on class?

Fat Freddy
05-09-2013, 03:52 PM
I recently took Cornfed Cooking BBQ Class(Tippy Canoe and Big Tz). I learned many things and many ideas. It was nice 2 different cooks saying how they cooked on 2 different cookers( Though Ryan would also talk about when he used a WSM so I guess 3 cookers) and with some meats 2 different temps. Right now it is too early to tell how I will do longterm but I did recently team up with another person who took the class and we won Grandchampion at the unsanctioned but 100% CBJ's contest Frostbusters that fellow Brethren Smokehouse 72 puts on in Colo, Iowa. We got 1st chicken 2nd ribs 1st pork and 1st brisket and we tried many of the techniques we learned in the class

sdbbq1234
05-09-2013, 04:13 PM
We went to Myron's class 2 years ago. That was before we had entered our first comp. so, everything we learned was somewhat new. This forum and watching BBQ shows on TV provided a huge background before going to his class. Some of the things we learned, I still cannot replicate here, but that is my problem. We still do use some things in our cooking now.

We went to the Swamp Boys / 3-Eyz super school this year. While we learned a bunch of things from both teams, we are using more tricks/tips from the 3-Eyz team. My biggest problem implementing those is related to not paying attention to details, trying to change schit at the last minute, and just my own anxiety. :oops:

All three teams have proven success, I think we all will agree.

But for now, the winningest team around is 3-Eyz guys. They are consistent, very methodical and organized in all their approach. That is not to say other teams are not, but I just think their way of doing things from purchasing meats all the way to turn in (including box building, and presentation; very important!), seems smooth and streamlined.

For me, right now, I would attend a 3-Eyz school again as I lost all our notes from the first day at the super school somewhere in Central Florida........ And I just believe in going with a proven winner. :cry::cry::cry::oops::oops:

wallace

PapaBearsHickoryPit
05-09-2013, 04:45 PM
Thanks so much everyone for all of the replies. I'm a low and slow stick burner type of guy but never want to stop learning new techniques. I would love to do a 3 eyz class just not in the cards this year.

boogiesnap
05-09-2013, 06:22 PM
lakeside. the most dominant team, by far, 'round these parts, last couple years. OR whatever class mike took. :becky:

although, i hear rub does pretty darn well outside these parts.

boogiesnap
05-10-2013, 01:03 AM
^^^^
i wrote that wrong, should read "outside these parts of which i am most familiar" regarding rub.

pretty sure he'd do pretty darn OK inside these parts too given the the level of competition within his.

and i'd add, whatever class fatback joe took. :wink:

AUBBQ
05-10-2013, 08:59 AM
Rub’s class was excellent! I highly recommend it.
Our next class will probably be Pellet Envy’s or Dana Hills - Big Papa’s County Kitchen.

JPS11
05-12-2013, 09:31 AM
Rob posted on the Swamp Boys Facebook page Thursday that he is planning another Q school this summer.

LoneStar Smoke Rangers
05-12-2013, 10:34 AM
We have taken Paul Kirk's, Johhny Trigg's, and Tippy Canoe / Big T'Z "Cornfed Cookin' Class...all were outstanding and helped raise our scores significantly. Our next class will probably be Rod Gray or Myron Mixon unless TrueBud is having one...lol!

Or PigSkin!!! LOL!!!

jonboy
05-12-2013, 01:20 PM
Melissa and Pete of Yazoo's Delta Q would be a class i would attend if possible time and money wise.
jon

Ford
05-12-2013, 01:48 PM
How about Grey and Trigg. Oh wait I already took that class. Seriously for chicken mike Davis or iab30, ribs Trigg, pork mixon or Thomas Henry here in fl, brisket Trigg or quau. For all 4 from just one team 3 eyes, quau are probably it based on recent performance.

Edit: best ever dream class was USA smoke class in Houston in 2003. World champions were students. We teamed up and did hands on. One student now food network star. Another group are Royal and Houston livestock GC. We learned from James and Lola but also built lasting relationships with folks around the country.

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
05-12-2013, 02:26 PM
Dream Class? Easy. I'd hang out and cook with Pat Burke.

Shiz-Nit
05-12-2013, 04:10 PM
Dream class...

Note this is what you said a dream class!! 3 day class

Rod Gray
3 EZY
Swamp Boys
And yes Johnny Trigg along with the up in coming young guns !!

JT is getting up in age and one should take advantage if one has the chance to learn from the god father.....

MattG
05-12-2013, 07:20 PM
Dream class would be Trigg, 3 EYZ, Rod Gray, and Chris Hart. Can you say Super Class!

Dan - 3eyzbbq
05-13-2013, 08:29 AM
MY dream class would be Cool Smoke. I'd sign up immediately. Any location, any time.

Slamdunkpro
05-13-2013, 10:11 AM
MY dream class would be Cool Smoke. I'd sign up immediately. Any location, any time.
Cool Smoke + Paul Hess.:shock:

Podge
05-13-2013, 12:27 PM
Quau... He is what I would consider the best BBQ'er of the past 10 years.

J&B'sBBQ
05-13-2013, 01:01 PM
Rob posted on the Swamp Boys Facebook page Thursday that he is planning another Q school this summer.

I emailed with Rob a few times last month and he said he is doing one this summer, but needed to work out the details on when yet. That is the one we have on our list to do since it's local, reasonably priced, and I know people who have taken it that are winning :clap:.

Vince RnQ
05-13-2013, 01:05 PM
Quau... He is what I would consider the best BBQ'er of the past 10 years.

I couldn't agree more! Mike and Beth have proven time and again that they not only have what it takes to get to the top but to also stay there year after year after year. They're great cooks, great people and great friends!

The problem would be getting them to do a whole class!

Scottie
05-13-2013, 01:09 PM
He usually does 2 categories every year at the CSC class. If he doesn't cover it, he will talk about it. For those that know Mike, he likes to talk.... :-P

Vince RnQ
05-15-2013, 05:56 PM
He usually does 2 categories every year at the CSC class. If he doesn't cover it, he will talk about it. For those that know Mike, he likes to talk.... :-P

So, if we take the CSC class 2 years in a row, we'll get all four meats from both CSC and Quau, right?

Scottie
05-16-2013, 05:38 PM
You always get my 4. Mike does 2 and will talk about them all. Trust me, just to pick his brain in that kind of setting is worth it. While I like to have fun with Mike, he is a true badass on the circuit. I won't rank, but if Mike isn't in your top 5, you don't know how to count... and he does that year in and year out...

Wish he hung here. I'd talk some smack on him... :-P

Stoke&Smoke
05-16-2013, 05:55 PM
So, if we take the CSC class 2 years in a row, we'll get all four meats from both CSC and Quau, right?

How about u guys, Scottie, and Quau all combine for a class? I'd be on that quick!

Scottie
05-17-2013, 08:48 AM
There you go Vince. I could see you in Chicago, in shorts and crocs with about 2" of snow on the ground... :-P

And Mike and I are expanding the pork section of the class. Could you do the pork collar?

Vince RnQ
05-17-2013, 10:15 AM
There you go Vince. I could see you in Chicago, in shorts and crocs with about 2" of snow on the ground... :-P

That sounds like fun! If you think adding us to the instructor list would help raise more money for the foundation, we're in! I'll even wear the shorts and crocs!

And Mike and I are expanding the pork section of the class. Could you do the pork collar?

Sorry, you'll have to go one state west of here for that.