View Full Version : Q'ing out of the home?

05-08-2013, 08:14 PM
Hey All,

Like almost everyone on this site, I get told often that I should "sell this stuff" because "it's unbelievable", "blah blah blah..."

Being a mart guy, I have read and read and read through this section of the forum and thus have no illusions of changing professions due to money, time, red tape, etc. But...

My question for you is this. Is there anything one can do out of his house that's BBQ (cooking) related? I realize that rules vary jurisdiction to jurisdiction and I suspect the answer is a resounding NO, but... I was just wondering and interested in the subject.


05-08-2013, 08:18 PM
Some states are now allowing certain types of food to be made in the home. Naturally, you would need to check your state.

05-08-2013, 10:57 PM
So would it be a state thing, or a county thing, or both? Not sure where to start looking?

Pyle's BBQ
05-08-2013, 11:14 PM
Start with your county Health Department. If they don't have jurisdiction, they should be able to tell you where to go.

05-08-2013, 11:20 PM
Will do. Thx.

06-01-2013, 11:29 AM
I bought an enclosed trailer, turned it into a mobile kitchen with sinks etc.
I then built a pavilion type shelter for my cookers and had it all inspected, got licensed etc. You will have to take the food safety class.

I believe its very hard to get a personal kitchen to pass, and not possible if you have pets.

Bbq Bubba
06-01-2013, 03:31 PM
Are you just looking at doing some occasional catering?

06-02-2013, 09:40 PM
In ohio I know a guy who was having his house built and wanted to do it out of his kitchen. The state told him that his WHOLE HOUSE had to be to code.

06-02-2013, 10:01 PM
In general, per the Uniform Building Code, any kitchen that is used to prepare food that is not served immediately and on premises must be to current local health codes. However, all part of the building that access the kitchen directly must meet those codes, not just the kitchen. That is a UBC code, and to my knowledge, all states use that code. However, California, and I believe a few other states allow for certain uses of home kitchens and over ride that sections of the UBC. If you must leave the kitchen structure to access the rest of the house, then you can use that kitchen.

But, it always comes down to the local County Health Department. Thus, Bryan was correct.