PDA

View Full Version : Question for those with a Toy Hauler rig

Garrett
05-07-2013, 03:48 PM
I've got a Fleetwood Gearbox with a 12' garage, my plans are to have the ramp out flat with my stumps clone and UDS sitting on it when doing comps. I'm wondering how do you folks that set up this way support the ramp with all that weight on it. I have jack stands and some blocking that I plan to use, but wondering if I need the cables that attach from ramp to back of camper.

Also if you use the jack stands, how many and where do you place them for best support and to prevent damage to ramp hinges or the ramp?

Ron_L
05-07-2013, 03:56 PM
The ramp on our TH is designed to support 2500 lbs, so the 600 lbs or so that I put on it at a comp is well below those specs. I use three jack stands at the end of the ramp, one on each of the rubber bumpers that are on the ramp to protect it when it is on the ground (if that makes sense). I have seen others who use aircraft cable of chain to support the ramp but I haven't looked into this. I do like the idea since setup is easier. No messing with the jack stands to get it level.

Jabber
05-07-2013, 04:45 PM
We use jacks and cables.Our cables have turnbuckles so you can adjust.If you make the cables yourself make sure you check how much weight that your cables and turnbuckles and connectors can hold.Don't go cheap,with several people and the cookers you could have 1500 lbs in no time.

Garrett
05-07-2013, 04:56 PM
^^^^ This is why I got to thinking about it today I'm not sure the weight rating on mine cause I bought it used. This morning I went with my brother to look at new ones and I asked the salesmen about supporting the ramp. He came up with all kinds of stuff not really trying to sell anything that they had just shooting ideas at me. Thanks for the responses so far. I haven't competed using it yet just trying to prepare for it.

dhuffjr
05-08-2013, 08:42 AM
Sounds like a lot of real estate with the trailer+ramp down. You might want to consider the contests you'll be doing and any site size limits. The contests up my way more and more are charging more for extra space and a large trailer with the ramp down wouldn't fit even in the 'extra space' sites.

Another aspect I would consider is the inside environment. We bought our trailer for multiple reasons but heat and air are a big factor. Having the cookers under or just next to cover is also a good thing. You might want to consider rolling the cooker outside and setting it up near the side door and have an canopy tent of some brand or other set up.

CivilWarBBQ
05-09-2013, 06:06 AM
The best approach I've seen is to carry a 4x4 covered with carpet. You run this beam under your ramp door supported by adjustable jackstands to spread the load and protect the door.