PDA

View Full Version : How much parsley to buy?

cpw
05-06-2013, 10:17 AM
We're doing our first KCBS contest this weekend, so I've never had to buy garnish before. How much parsley should I buy if the plan is to do the typical "putting green" style box?

Thanks!

Balls Casten
05-06-2013, 10:24 AM
Good parsley = 4 to 5 bundles
Bad wilted parsley = 10 bundles

first contest .. first time building a box get extra it will cut your time in half.

RX2006JE
05-06-2013, 10:24 AM
i use about 3 heads per box just to have enough good pieces to pick through

mobow
05-06-2013, 10:32 AM
two or three bundles per box

Untraceable
05-06-2013, 10:54 AM
buy it all so the other local teams are SOL

hogzgonewild
05-06-2013, 11:40 AM
I get 3 bundles per box.... But lately I've just been buying a 60 bundle case at Restaurant depot and splitting it with 3 other teams.....

Only costs us $5 a piece for 15 bundles!

fnbish
05-06-2013, 11:45 AM
I'm in the 2-3 bundles per box boat.

Wampus
05-06-2013, 11:53 AM
We buy 2 of the boxes of parsley at RD. I think each box has about 6 bundles? We usually only need one box, but sometime get into the second. I'm usually able to pick through and find some good ones.

cpw
05-06-2013, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the info. It looks like if I get a 12 pack, I should be good. We don't have restaurant depot around here, but my neighbor owns a restaurant, she's gonna hook me up.

Queology
05-06-2013, 12:03 PM
2 to 3 bundles per box depending on the quality of the parsley. Publix has the best quality locally.

cpw
05-06-2013, 12:32 PM
2 to 3 bundles per box depending on the quality of the parsley. Publix has the best quality locally.

I've noticed that Publix has the best around here as well.

big matt
05-06-2013, 12:40 PM
What I've done is made friends with the produce manager at our local store and he's even came out to a close comp and we gave him food..he orders an extra case for me to dig through..sometimes it's hit or miss on quality but we can always get a few good ones at least.seems to me at this time of year parsley usually gets pretty good..this last weekend I built one box and part of another with one bunch(broccoli head size)that's the best end of the spectrum..other times I've had to use up to about 5 bunches when it was really crappy.

tnjimbob
05-06-2013, 12:58 PM
I have found good parsley at Whole Paycheck (a.k.a. Whole Foods), but it costs quite a bit more than RD or a regular grocery store. However, they usually have large bunches, so I can get by with buying 4-6 of them and that is usually enough to make boxes. I think I paid $1.69 per bunch last time I bought parsley there.

K-Train
05-06-2013, 01:00 PM
Better to have too much instead of too little.

ckelly
05-06-2013, 02:53 PM
Generally running 2-3 bundles per box. Not all will get used but this gives you sufficient quantity to pick out nice tight leaves to be used.

ckelly
05-06-2013, 02:55 PM
Better to have too much instead of too little.

That and parsley is cheap so don't be afraid to buy a little heavy.

ViciousGame
05-06-2013, 05:41 PM
One well known competitor told me he uses 3 bunches of parsley & one head of romaine to build all four boxes. Now, I'm sure he uses 3 large bunches; however, that's cutting it too close for me. I used 8 bunches & 2 head last comp we did and we even used some for a 5th category at that comp. That amount seemed to work for us.

cpw
05-06-2013, 06:16 PM
One well known competitor told me he uses 3 bunches of parsley & one head of romaine to build all four boxes. Now, I'm sure he uses 3 large bunches; however, that's cutting it too close for me. I used 8 bunches & 2 head last comp we did and we even used some for a 5th category at that comp. That amount seemed to work for us.
Ya, I don't think I'll be going in there with 3 bunches of parsley. I'd end up without garnish in 3 of the boxes!

ViciousGame
05-06-2013, 07:24 PM
Ya, I don't think I'll be going in there with 3 bunches of parsley. I'd end up without garnish in 3 of the boxes!

He said he could build 4 boxes for only $4. I told him "wow, that's efficient...and cheap!" Then, his fiancé said, "I buy 4...just in case!" LOL

Butt Rubb'n BBQ
05-06-2013, 07:36 PM
Last contest I went to I bought 3 lbs and had enough left over to sod my yard.

discosuperfly
05-07-2013, 04:09 PM
We use maybe one bunch of parsley per box. We've been doing a Harry Soo/Pickled Pig method lately and it hasn't hurt our scores at all. It has shaved at least an hour off our box prep. There was a Youtube video of Harry's box class which he gives to rookie teams competing against him on Saturday mornings. Also, there is a Brethren thread (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-99299.html) about it as well...

Essentially, we take green leaf lettuce and cut into strips and throw it in the box until we get the desired height built up. Then we ring the outer edge with parsley, after we put the meat in the box we fill in any voids with more parsley. YMMV but it hasn't hurt us one bit.

Here's another helpful thread (http://www.bbqbackyard.com/forum/topics/presentation-techniques) for you showing various methods

big matt
05-07-2013, 04:31 PM
He said he could build 4 boxes for only $4. I told him "wow, that's efficient...and cheap!" Then, his fiancÚ said, "I buy 4...just in case!" LOL

They also get really good parsley..and have even had it shipped from Northern California..plus his boxes aren't putting greens either.

Stoke&Smoke
05-07-2013, 04:32 PM
cpw, we go about 2-3 bundles as stated before, but allow me to make a suggestion, especially if this is your first time out. Look at this link http://www.thepickledpig.com/forums/bbq-contests/3056-putting-greens-ii-magical-box-flip-method-transfer.html

Following this allows me to do the time consuming part ahead of time, and makes the time spent at the comp FAR more enjoyable. I've tried it twice so far with great success. And you can put your boxes together sitting on the couch at home days in advance!

cpw
05-11-2013, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. We ended up using 6 bunches, but they were all really nice. We also ended up finishing the boxes about an hour ago, while at the comp. just didn't have time to build them at home this week.

Crash
05-11-2013, 04:18 AM
He said he could build 4 boxes for only $4. I told him "wow, that's efficient...and cheap!" Then, his fiancé said, "I buy 4...just in case!" LOL
Now...who could that be??? :grin:

On another note...and keep in mind I am WAY out of the game.....heard a rumor that rosettes of green leaf are all the rage. It's just a rumor.

fnbish
05-11-2013, 05:13 AM

Is that with full putting greens on top of romaine or romaine on the bottom with parsley just around the sides of the meat? Would be hard if not impossible to fill 4 boxes with 3 bundles unless they were huge :razz:.