PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Practice

JeffR
05-06-2013, 07:38 AM
Thought I would post a few pictures from my first attempt at chicken. Have been doing backyard ribs, but want to expand to the other categories and contest. Have cooked them all, but not with competition in mind.

The purpose of this was to practice trimming, the cook and flavor, not the presentation in a box. I wanted to get nice size Smart Chicken, but they were out so I had to settle for the "Family Pack" Only had two nice size one. Pointers would be appreciated.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-8rGyMkmNnK8/UYeiQjqmeaI/AAAAAAAAAUs/KNb7Usc9qWU/s912/IMG_0783.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-49pS-RjFlr4/UYeiSZLk6pI/AAAAAAAAAU4/iTVf4nSNm-o/s640/IMG_0787.JPG

fnbish
05-06-2013, 08:06 AM
Looks good for a first try. My first chicken turn in looked awful. The best advice I have is simply to keep practicing your trimming in general. Just trim a crap-ton of chicken :razz:. After doing it multiple times and seeing how the pieces look after they cook you will see where you can focus on trimming the pieces to look as similar as possible.

The skin might need to be a little bigger so it wraps a little underneath the chicken and covers the sides. It will shrink during cooking so leaving a little extra helps. Your color looks nice!

How was the bite through?

cpw
05-06-2013, 08:25 AM
Do you notice a big difference between smart chicken and regular family pack chicken?

JeffR
05-06-2013, 09:13 AM
How was the bite through?

Well it wasn't exactly bite through as it did pull off. The skin was extremely thick and fatty and I didn't scrape as I wanted to see what would happen if I didn't. The pull off was partially due to the skin being a little small. So not bite through, but also not gross where it was disgusting to eat.

JeffR
05-06-2013, 09:16 AM
Do you notice a big difference between smart chicken and regular family pack chicken?

Ive never used the Smart Chicken before, but it looks good in the package. Skin is nice and white and appears less fatty. I'm going back this week to get a rain check as they are on sale. The legs they had packaged looked like they came of a six legged chicken. All perfectly the same size.