PDA

View Full Version : Pulled pork for 100

J&B'sBBQ
05-03-2013, 08:48 AM
We have cooked for a Memorial Day event the last two years, but we have not been the only meat provider in the past and they want us to be that this year :). Since I've never cooked for this many people, I need some help!

I've heard to expect 50% yield from a pork butt and I've heard 60% yield, so I'm not really sure what to expect. This will be a self serve setting. What would be the expected yield from a butt for cooked meat? How many lbs per person should I cook for with it being self serve? I'm just trying to figure out how much un-cooked meat I'll need.

jestridge
05-03-2013, 09:14 AM
Cook 8 should be plenty

hamiltont
05-03-2013, 09:44 AM
Cook 8 should be plenty
Or 65-70 lbs. uncooked weight. Small buns will reduce the waste too. Plus it never hurts to have a little extra JIC....

themidniteryder
05-03-2013, 10:23 PM
I figure an 8lb uncooked gives 4lbs cooked. At 4oz serving thats 16 servings per butt.. So 8 butts would give you 128 servings +/-. Smaller buns give the appearance of a heftier sammie (Jeez look how much meat they pile on there!!!) and that is good marketing.

J&B'sBBQ
05-04-2013, 12:14 PM
Or 65-70 lbs. uncooked weight. Small buns will reduce the waste too. Plus it never hurts to have a little extra JIC....

Thanks! This gives us the information we needed.

sfisch
05-04-2013, 01:02 PM
Lots of good info there, any will give you enough.
The rule of thumb I use is 4 sandwiches to 1 pound of cooked meat. So if I was cooking for 100 sandwiches, I would need 25 lbs of cooked meat or 50 lbs of uncooked meat.
Since this is a self serve event, people will take more than if you had someone handing out the sandwiches so I would up it to around what hamiltont suggested.
Good luck.

J&B'sBBQ
05-06-2013, 08:25 AM
Thank you to everyone for their input! Since food is being put out at 3pm and it is self serve (as well as having music/fun well into the wee hours of the night) I think we'll go on the high side of the quantities suggested.

This info will be very useful for the future as well if we do any more events :)