PDA

View Full Version : BBQ Brethren t-shirt goes round the world

WannaBeBBQueen
05-01-2013, 10:36 AM
Phil being presented the shirt (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piz6bq2cxnY)
The final leg of our oddesy.

Dear Phil,

It all started during the auction for Carmella...

I doubt if you remember, but there was a bidding war between Rookie’48 and me for 5 BBQ Brethren tee shirts. You hooked us both up with shirts.

When I got the shirts an idea came to me that it would be cool to get as many of Brethren to sign one as we could, so I reached out to the Mods in October 2008 to see if they were on board, and not surprisingly, they were.

I started sending out PMs to get the ball rolling, and apparently got reported to you by folks thinking I was spamming them. The Mods came to my defense and let you know they were keeping an eye out for me. Thanks guys!!

The response from the Brethern and Sistern to this caper was great. This shirt has been mailed all over the country, to bashes, comps, and even out to Hawaii. In some cases it was the reason brethren got together. A lot of people have worked locally to get folks in their area together to sign. Thanks everyone!

I thought we lost this shirt in the mail more than once, but it always turned up. I originally thought we could get this done by Christmas, then maybe one of the comps in NY…. Of course, we never said Christmas of what year.

So here we are, 4 and a half years later this shirt has come to its final stop.

It’s not much, but just a way for us to say Thank You, for all you do to keep the site going.

Lynn-Michele aka LMAJ

Meat Burner
05-01-2013, 11:25 AM
That was way cool. It's been so long since it was at my house it's hard to remember. I have a photo of it somewhere. Thank you all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Countryhb
05-01-2013, 11:41 AM
Woo hoo! That is one well-traveled shirt. Was it really 4 1/2 years ago???

WannaBeBBQueen
05-01-2013, 11:44 AM
That was way cool. It's been so long since it was at my house it's hard to remember. I have a photo of it somewhere. Thank you all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey can you post the photo? That would be great.

LMAJ
05-01-2013, 12:00 PM
Woo hoo! That is one well-traveled shirt. Was it really 4 1/2 years ago???
Yep. Long time coming.

Stoke&Smoke
05-01-2013, 12:01 PM
I think I signed that thing twice. Wilkat brought it to my house one day, and then the next year Coz passed it to me. Couldn't find the original sig, so signed again! That thing is probably worn out without ever having been worn!

Ron_L
05-01-2013, 12:04 PM
Phil has sleeves! :-D

Thanks for the video!

When it opened in YouTube I chuckled at the first suggested video in the list. Check out the screen shot below.

bbqbull
05-01-2013, 12:24 PM
I am fine with it being here!

spicewine
05-01-2013, 12:25 PM
You'll never guess who drew the arms for the "Reach Around" :rolleyes:

Big George's BBQ
05-01-2013, 12:46 PM
Very nice Thanks Lynn and Thanks Julie for the Video

LMAJ
05-01-2013, 01:03 PM
And how drunk were you when you did it??? :wink:

willkat98
05-01-2013, 01:03 PM
When it opened in YouTube I chuckled at the first suggested video in the list. Check out the screen shot below.

Um, Ron.

When it opened for me, the first result in yellow was tailored to my recent search patterns.

So, what the hell you been searching?

Ron_L
05-01-2013, 01:17 PM
Um, Ron.

When it opened for me, the first result in yellow was tailored to my recent search patterns.

So, what the hell you been searching?

Phil's columns, of course.

Brauma
05-01-2013, 01:35 PM
Pretty cool. If pics could be posted of the shirt in its final version, that would be great!! I haven't seen it in a few years myself.

Congrats Phil. We love ya, baby!

Neil
05-01-2013, 02:57 PM
Great job LMAJ!! :thumb: :clap: :clap: I was expecting Phil to go down to one knee when I saw him in that jersey. :biggrin:

LMAJ
05-01-2013, 06:41 PM
I posted a BUNCH of pics I took of the shirt the last time I had it - which was over a year and a bunch of signatures ago - but it gives you an idea of what it looks like...

http://s332.photobucket.com/user/LMAJ/library/Phils%20Shirt?sort=3&page=1 (http://s332.photobucket.com/user/LMAJ/library/Phils%20Shirt?sort=3&page=1)

nucornhusker
05-01-2013, 08:10 PM
Very cool. I wish I could have been a part of this cool gift.

BBQ_MAFIA
05-01-2013, 09:56 PM
It was really cool to be there when Phil received the shirt.

Carmela and my family will always be grateful to all of you.

Arlin_MacRae
05-01-2013, 10:49 PM
I can't farking believe it's been that long in the making.

Boss, if everyone who's lives you've made better could sign that, it would be a black shirt.

SALUTE!

Arlin

LMAJ
05-02-2013, 10:16 AM
Very cool. I wish I could have been a part of this cool gift.

We had to have a cut off or we would have never gotten the shirt to Phil based on how many new members find this great site daily!

deguerre
05-02-2013, 10:40 AM
Way cool. Bravo y'all. Bravo.

BBQchef33
05-03-2013, 12:26 AM
Well, I WAS WAITING :mmph: to post about this.. for the right time.. like when i have it. :wink: The shirt is with a picture framer getting mounted in a double sided plexiglass frame (the kind they get jerseys mounted in). Since the signatures are on both sides, and i wanted the back to be visible also, it has to be custom made. So the plan was, when it gets back, I was going to take pics and post the story. So much for that. :oops:

It was quite the surprise.. and totally awesome. I've been collecting alot of memorabilia as we grow, BrdBBQ(Brians) teeth, that he left here after a bash, the infamous can of warm Schafer I handed TK when he was the first member to arrive at my home at Bash I. (Imagine driving 7 hours in July to the house of someone you never met and being greeted a warm can of bad beer.. It was a standing joke for years) Then theres the wet suit from bash 6.. KCquers photos...., the apron from my first Jack signed by all the teams.. and many awards we have received from various organizations that are hanging in the trailer.. but nothing compares to "The Shirt"..

i saw signatures from all over!.. from New England to Hawaii, Florida to Oregon.. When we got home, the wife and i sat and scoured over the whole shirt, and yet each time we went back, we see something else. I cant thank Lynn enough for doing this and to everyone who went thru the troubles to get it moved all over the globe. What a feat.. and to keep it going for 4 years is amazing... it really shows the brethren spirit.. and no matter how big we get, its still alive. Thanks to Lynn Michelle and everyone who kept it going! As soon as I get it back, I will post the photos.

Bbq Bubba
05-03-2013, 07:20 AM
SOOOO glad to see the shirt finally got to Phil!

I feel very lucky to have been able to sign that shirt 3 seperate times at 3 different events. Wasn't sure it would ever make it back to you!

The_Kapn
05-04-2013, 05:01 PM
Who is Phil?? 8)
What is a shirt?? 8)

When that came through here I was SO HONORED to add just a bit to it!

What a journey--what a guy!!!!!!

TIM

Divemaster
05-06-2013, 09:23 PM
You know, to be honest, I had forgotten about it. It's been what, 3 or 4 years now.

Of course I don't remember much of the Ohio Bash when we signed it.

Great job Guys!!!!!!!!

The Pigman
05-07-2013, 12:42 AM
Ohio bash?..... Was this at Ricks?????? Was Billy passing around the bottle that I don't remember????

You know, to be honest, I had forgotten about it. It's been what, 3 or 4 years now.

Of course I don't remember much of the Ohio Bash when we signed it.

Great job Guys!!!!!!!!

LMAJ
05-07-2013, 04:22 AM
Ohio bash?..... Was this at Ricks?????? Was Billy passing around the bottle that I don't remember????
Yep, the bash at Ricks.... I was worried about it that weekend and with good reason...:biggrin1:

bbqbull
05-07-2013, 04:16 PM
I believe I took the shirt to Ricks bash. LMAJ sent it to the house here.

deguerre
05-07-2013, 04:26 PM
Man. Wish I coulda been in on this. Can't wait to see the framed pics!

Jorge
05-07-2013, 04:26 PM

I got a good chuckle when I saw it in Little Rock!

LMAJ
05-07-2013, 05:30 PM
Yep Mike - it was you that took it there and watched over it and kept it safe!

I just looked at my email - I have at over 400 emails about this shirt... Verizon must love us!!!

txschutte
05-10-2013, 12:50 PM
I forgot all about that shirt.

4 1/2 years! WTG LMAJ!!

Stoke&Smoke
05-10-2013, 04:25 PM
I posted a BUNCH of pics I took of the shirt the last time I had it - which was over a year and a bunch of signatures ago - but it gives you an idea of what it looks like...

http://s332.photobucket.com/user/LMAJ/library/Phils%20Shirt?sort=3&page=1

Sadly a lot of names on that shirt we don't often see anymore!

LMAJ
05-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Sadly a lot of names on that shirt we don't often see anymore!
And there is at least one signature of someone who is no longer with us at all - Barbarian. So glad we got him to sign.

tish
05-13-2013, 04:46 AM
Wow, Lynn! Now that's an amazing effort! :hail:

LMAJ
05-13-2013, 06:55 PM
Thanks Tish, but it really was a team effort. Lots of people had a hand in this caper.

WannaBeBBQueen
05-14-2013, 07:50 AM
Thanks Tish, but it really was a team effort. Lots of people had a hand in this caper.

We may have helped but this awesome idea was all yours...lol. Fantastic job!!!:clap:

Harbormaster
05-17-2013, 04:58 PM
Truly outstanding!

Usually, I wind up forgetting I have the item that needs to be passed on. Glad I din't this time.

That shirt was pretty full when Pimpsmoke and I signed it in 2011 I think.

Glad it finally made it's way home.

And thanks for all of the pics LMAJ! WOW!

mmmmeat
06-22-2013, 10:07 AM
http://emob332.photobucket.com/albums/m329/LMAJ/Phils%20Shirt/DSC_0467.jpg?t=1367451519

http://s332.photobucket.com/user/LMAJ/library/Phils%20Shirt?sort=3&page=1

I found mine!! Thanks again Phil for everything!!! Glad this thing finally made it home

LMAJ
06-27-2013, 06:20 PM
Thanks Kevin - just saw this!!!!

nice picture of my chair.... :-P

jacob
07-02-2013, 12:12 PM
I found it a great honor to have been able to sign this shirt. It was right after my surgery I think. I believe It was Kapn that I got it from. Phil , I'll tell you now just it case I don't get the chance later. I had a special message put on the shirt, I had to have it done. You probably need a magnifier to ever find it. Any way I thought it would be an adventure as from time to time you might look for it. The message is from the heart and a huge thank you for every thing you have done that changed my life. Happy Hunting My Friend!

loco_engr
07-05-2013, 06:38 PM
I will be a CBJ at Am. Royal and plan on wearing my Brethren T-Shirt!
Don't know that many teams and the anticipated teams to be near 550, I
hope to track down somebody! :-P

thillin
07-07-2013, 03:24 PM
Glad to see the pics. Forgot where I even signed the thing.