Muzzlebrake
04-30-2013, 04:44 PM
Very cool video!

Teamfour
04-30-2013, 05:04 PM
Loved it!

RangerJ
04-30-2013, 05:34 PM
Not sure I'd categorize it as a professional sport.

WannaBeBBQueen
04-30-2013, 06:45 PM
Who is it? Very cool.

Wampus
04-30-2013, 07:26 PM
SHIGGIN! :becky:

landarc
04-30-2013, 07:43 PM
If only I could actually move that fast

Muzzlebrake
04-30-2013, 08:32 PM

Not sure I'd call it the fastest either. Even with my frantic pacing and manic energy during turn-ins its still slower than a soccer game.

Still a cool video though........

jmoney7269
04-30-2013, 08:38 PM

And why not? Your competing against some of the best at times and some times not so much, its expensive and if you travel gotta have a pretty decent rig, some good pits that you know. Your fighting against the clock to put a product on the tables that most people wish they could cook. I dunno but I'm bout $50k deep in it, and I'm sure there are some that are 3-4x that for a really nice setup so yeah, I'm gonna go with the latter!
Nice video also!

haulin'buttbbq
04-30-2013, 08:42 PM
Another great video Jeff.

jmoney7269
04-30-2013, 08:44 PM
I also noticed the use of the cuisinart cek-40 bread knife blade rather than the carving blade. Anyone got any idea why? I still haven't pulled mine out of the sheath, I always use the carving knife for chicken. Does the other one cut better?

INmitch
04-30-2013, 09:08 PM
Sloooow that puppy down!! I wanna see that "180" box!!!!

fnbish
04-30-2013, 09:18 PM
And why not? Your competing against some of the best at times and some times not so much, its expensive and if you travel gotta have a pretty decent rig, some good pits that you know. Your fighting against the clock to put a product on the tables that most people wish they could cook. I dunno but I'm bout $50k deep in it, and I'm sure there are some that are 3-4x that for a really nice setup so yeah, I'm gonna go with the latter!
Nice video also!

Most definitions of "sport" include the words "physical activity". BBQ Competitions are absolutely a form of competing and takes a lot of skill to win. But they are not a sport, let alone a professional sport. Also I don't see how spending lots of money makes something a sport.

But to the OP that is a great video. Thanks for sharing :-D.

Fornia
04-30-2013, 09:27 PM
I'm still telling my wife it's an expensive hobby.

If I tell her it's a sport, she's gonna pack her bags! Ha!

Cool video!

Eggspert
05-01-2013, 12:19 PM
Love this video! It really gets me pumped up for the upcoming season. That 1.5 hour at a competition actually feels like it goes by that fast too.

Eggspert

RangerJ
05-01-2013, 06:10 PM
Nice video also!

Stop it.

Its not a professional sport as about 90 percent of the people who spend exorbitant amounts of money are not doing so as a permanent career. Many, competing in the "Pro" circuit will do so while dropping thousands and never get a call.

While you could decide to dance in some semantical grey area about compensation, there are very few PRO BBQ'ers....Yet.

southernstyle
05-01-2013, 08:30 PM
Very cool video

esselle
05-02-2013, 05:47 AM
Excellent Jeff.

Wampus
05-02-2013, 12:01 PM
Most definitions of "sport" include the words "physical activity".

Dunno.....when I finally get home and unloaded from the comps, I sure do feel like I've endured a WHOLE CHITLOAD of "physical activity".

In fact.....I often feel like I've been in a professional wrestling match!

:becky: :rolleyes:

HarleyGirl14226
05-02-2013, 02:23 PM

I always tell people that it's a sport... There may be running, and you can get injured. (and anyone who knows Kevin & I knows this to be true!)

:biggrin1:

fnbish
05-02-2013, 05:19 PM
Dunno.....when I finally get home and unloaded from the comps, I sure do feel like I've endured a WHOLE CHITLOAD of "physical activity".

In fact.....I often feel like I've been in a professional wrestling match!

:becky: :rolleyes:

Oh I hear ya. It can be tiring since it involves a lot of standing paired with lack of sleep (or lack of good sleep) for 2 days, but still not a sport :-P.

rookiedad
05-02-2013, 07:53 PM
great video. that stuff looks great! how did you do in the competition?
BBQ is a sport!!! maybe not a professional sport, but a sport just the same!

YokeUp
05-03-2013, 02:35 AM
great video. that stuff looks great! how did you do in the competition?
BBQ is a sport!!! maybe not a professional sport, but a sport just the same!

Glory to God, I did well, I came in 3rd and had 4 calls which is a huge success in my eyes. As far as all this discussion about it being a "Sport".... Just let me tell you... I played College football at San Jose State, I know "SPORT".... Competition BBQ is SPORT. There is all the preparation, practice, training to get ready. There is the travel, setup and on-site prep that takes place and there is strategy for the event. You are held to specific time requirements and have to deliver your product within them. Rules apply and dis-qualifications are applied when rules are broken. It is physical, it is demanding, both physically and emotionally.

It is Professional. You have to expend a good deal of money to participate including supplies and travel costs as well as entry fees. Prize money is awarded, which in, and of itself, makes it a professional endeavor. Pro BBQ is similar to both Rodeo and Golf. You gotta pay to Play. If you consider both of those activities "hobbies", well, we will just agree to disagree.

BBQ has been a sport since the days of the Old Testament. The Levites (which I am certain, I am a decendant), were the first true pit masters! if you don't get that one.... go read your bible.. God bless ya!:clap2:

Muzzlebrake
05-03-2013, 01:09 PM
I happen to love the sport/not a sport debate, it certainly makes for a good late night round the pit discussion. Personally I side on the sport side. If bowling, fishing, billiards, chess and air rifle shooting can be a sport why not cooking?

Still an uber cool video. Next time can we please keep the sauce bottles out of the way? Hard to shig around them! :becky:

cpw
05-03-2013, 03:12 PM
Still an uber cool video. Next time can we please keep the sauce bottles out of the way? Hard to shig around them! :becky:

My thoughts exactly!

RangerJ
05-03-2013, 04:36 PM
A sport with the most out of shape, overweight, half way to cirrosiss, nicotine smoking athletes? And physically demanding? Stop it...

I'll agree to disagree, or chat muzzlebrake up about it around a fire, with a beer and a dip in my lip.

fnbish
05-03-2013, 04:54 PM
I happen to love the sport/not a sport debate, it certainly makes for a good late night round the pit discussion. Personally I side on the sport side. If bowling, fishing, billiards, chess and air rifle shooting can be a sport why not cooking?

I actually like the debate as well. I highly doubt anyone here is going to change anyone's mind about which side there on. But to your point of "bowling, fishing, billiards, chess, and air rifle shooting" I see those as "games of skill" vs a sport that takes athleticism. They take skill, but not physical exertion. :blabla::boxing:

haulin'buttbbq
05-06-2013, 09:30 PM
Webster's definition of "SPORT"

"Noun
An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others."

Well, I guess it's a sport after all.

CBQ
05-06-2013, 09:50 PM
Most definitions of "sport" include the words "physical activity".

Like Poker? :becky:

(ESPN thinks that's a sport, and I don't see anyone at the WSOP unloading any trailers)

I think YokeUp made a good case for BBQ as a sport. Anyone who thinks there isn't physical activity involved should watch the last 30 seconds of a category turn in at the Royal.

Muzzlebrake
05-06-2013, 09:58 PM
Air rifle, sailing, trampoline and curling are all Olympic Sports................just saying

esselle
05-07-2013, 04:08 AM
A sport with the most out of shape, overweight, half way to cirrosiss, nicotine smoking athletes? And physically demanding? Stop it...

I'll agree to disagree, or chat muzzlebrake up about it around a fire, with a beer and a dip in my lip.
You never seen a British Darts player? :grin:

fnbish
05-07-2013, 08:04 AM
Webster's definition of "SPORT"

"Noun
An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others."

Well, I guess it's a sport after all.

Good point, but..................

I think there is quite a big distinction between "physical exertion" in something such as basketball, football, running, swimming etc that makes you tired/exhausted vs. not being fit like an athlete (or even semi-athlete) and becoming exhausted because someone is not in shape.

Just because someone becomes tired doing some random lifting, standing a lot in the heat/cold/rain over the course of a day and a half doesn't make something a sport.

Jorge
05-07-2013, 08:33 AM
It is Professional. You have to expend a good deal of money to participate including supplies and travel costs as well as entry fees. Prize money is awarded, which in, and of itself, makes it a professional endeavor. Pro BBQ is similar to both Rodeo and Golf. You gotta pay to Play. If you consider both of those activities "hobbies", well, we will just agree to disagree.

BBQ has been a sport since the days of the Old Testament. The Levites (which I am certain, I am a decendant), were the first true pit masters! if you don't get that one.... go read your bible.. God bless ya!:clap2:

I had a PRCA card (Team Roping) for a couple of years. It was an expensive hobby for me. You made one of the better agrguements I've read/heard though.

msavard
05-07-2013, 02:06 PM
:crazy: at the assertion that competition BBQ is a sport.

Rodeo? Sure.
Golf. Yes.
Poker? No.
BBQ? No.

sport
Noun
An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.

If cooking/prepping BBQ qualifies as "physical exertion" for you then you might want to re-evaluate how sedentary your lifestyle is. :grin:

jmoney7269
05-08-2013, 08:40 AM

Dunno bout you bubba, but this slightly overweight beer drinkin Texan can still run a 8min mile, can you? People are the way they are because they have the freedom to do what they like, and you not anyone else got the right to bust their chops for it. Now if they were on food stamps I could see some taunting, but I highly doubt that anyone on the traveling BBQ scene is on foodstamps

So anyone use the bread knife on the cuisinart cek-40? I was going to this weekend but didn't feel like gettin it back out once I cleaned it. Just used a chefs knife since I had a few ribs with crooked bones.

fnbish
05-08-2013, 09:58 AM
Dunno bout you bubba, but this slightly overweight beer drinkin Texan can still run a 8min mile, can you? People are the way they are because they have the freedom to do what they like, and you not anyone else got the right to bust their chops for it. Now if they were on food stamps I could see some taunting, but I highly doubt that anyone on the traveling BBQ scene is on foodstamps

The argument might have jumped the shark with the mention of foodstamps :doh:. I don't think he wasn't busting anyone chops for living a certain lifestyle, but instead pointing out the difference of well conditioned athletes vs beer drinking/not in shape folks.

For me a visual example helps to show my argument for why bbq competitions are not a sport (let alone professional sport). And yes I did try and find pictures that are far to each side for dramatic/comedic effect. I couldn't find one of me exerting lots of energy at a competition. No unloading smoker pics or lifting cooler pics are ever taken apparently. And I don't even think those little bursts of exertion at competitions amount to anything arguable for calling comps a sport :becky:.

Funny Picture Comparison (but realistic at the same time)
So I would have a hard time arguing that that the athleticism of these professional runner/sprinters is the same as................
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j395/fnbish69/run_zps3257ef61.jpg

...........someone drinking high life and making parsley boxes.
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j395/fnbish69/q1_zpsf064b5a7.jpg

Or I would have a hard time arguing that these 2 rugby players hitting each other with sheer athletic power...........
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j395/fnbish69/run2_zps90b5ea2a.jpg

.........is the same or can be compared equally (or even remotely) to someone say taking their 6th break of the day from sitting outside to lay on a bed and eat half a bag of white cheddar popcorn
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j395/fnbish69/q3_zps73b20429.jpg

RangerJ
05-08-2013, 10:39 AM
People are the way they are because they have the freedom to do what they like, and you not anyone else got the right to bust their chops for it. Now if they were on food stamps I could see some taunting, but I highly doubt that anyone on the traveling BBQ scene is on foodstamps

So anyone use the bread knife on the cuisinart cek-40? I was going to this weekend but didn't feel like gettin it back out once I cleaned it. Just used a chefs knife since I had a few ribs with crooked bones.

And I spent a good amount of time defending the rights and freedoms of those to do what they like and everyone's rights, myself included, to bust chops for it.

fnbish seemed to catch the nuances of my statement that you missed.

And.. well I don't know I've ever taunted anyone on foodstamps but thanks for letting me know if they were, then it would make sense.

Jorge
05-08-2013, 10:42 AM
And I spent a good amount of time defending the rights and freedoms of those to do what they like and everyone's rights, myself included, to bust chops for it.

fnbish seemed to catch the nuances of my statement that you missed.

And.. well I don't know I've ever taunted anyone on foodstamps but thanks for letting me know if they were, then it would make sense.

RIP is a sport, if you are part of the mafia. Just sayin.....

Lion Bout The Q
05-08-2013, 03:48 PM
those are some fine looking ribs