PDA

View Full Version : memphis in may

schmitty28
04-27-2013, 09:56 AM
hey brethren heading down to Memphis in may any thing I should check out or wouldn't want to miss first time going, (not cooking) is there anything I should take?

Wyley
04-27-2013, 10:06 AM
Take something to eat. Unless something has changed you can't get any from the teams.

The one time I went I bought $50 worth of tickets at the gate assuming I could trade those tickets for samples as I had been able to do at competitions back in SC where I was from. No luck with that. The tickets were only able to be used at a few vendors they had set up at the side of the event. There isn't anything much more frustrating than walking around seeing and smelling all of the BBQ and not being able to sample any of it.

I understand it would take a lot more meat to be cooked but I might be willing to travel a good distance to eat at a restaurant that I knew had good food because I had tasted it. But I'm not willing to do that based just on the fact that someone won a Grand Championship. My experience at Big Bob Gibson's is a testament to that. Luckily I was in Decatur anyway, I'd have been very upset if I'd made a special trip down there for it.

4ever3
04-27-2013, 10:44 AM
How bout taking pics for us slappys that have never been?

Have a great time!

Lake Dogs
04-27-2013, 02:00 PM
Take something to eat. Unless something has changed you can't get any from the teams.

The one time I went I bought $50 worth of tickets at the gate assuming I could trade those tickets for samples as I had been able to do at competitions back in SC where I was from. No luck with that. The tickets were only able to be used at a few vendors they had set up at the side of the event. There isn't anything much more frustrating than walking around seeing and smelling all of the BBQ and not being able to sample any of it.

I understand it would take a lot more meat to be cooked but I might be willing to travel a good distance to eat at a restaurant that I knew had good food because I had tasted it. But I'm not willing to do that based just on the fact that someone won a Grand Championship. My experience at Big Bob Gibson's is a testament to that. Luckily I was in Decatur anyway, I'd have been very upset if I'd made a special trip down there for it.

I'll never forget going to my first sanctioned BBQ cookoff. There was no peoples choice category and all there was to do was to stand back, watch, and smell those wonderful smells without being able to sample any. It can be frustrating, for certain. That's why when I work with organizers I always talk about their objective, and if it's to get people in "the crowd" involved they need Peoples Choice, but in such a way that they dont interfere with the contest itself. Some also allow competitors to vend. It is RARE that a competitor who vends does very well, because they're either paying attention to the competition, or they're paying attention to the vending; tough to do both.

Memphis In May is a bit like the Super Bowl. The teams there, on Saturday, have been there all week, most have been up all night or most of it, and have judges coming on-site in addition to the blind turn-in. Asking them to hand out BBQ while in the midst of the competition would be like asking an NFL player for an autograph between 2nd and 3rd down while at the Super Bowl; not going to happen. However, having competed in many MBN and MIM competitions, I'll tell you that if you'd hung around particularly to the competitors cooking shoulder or whole hog, after they found out they didnt make finals (usually around 2pm or so), they'll have PLENTY of additional BBQ that they'd be more than happy, usually, to give away... Ribs, even with 8 or 10 extra racks, baby backs just seem to find a home...

schmitty28
04-27-2013, 03:51 PM
will do on the pics also read they are looking for judges would be a great experience to judge a bbq comp. and take a tour in and out of the camps of a few teams read they do that there as well

Lake Dogs
04-27-2013, 04:38 PM
They're looking for judges in the ancillary categories on Thursday and Friday. Saturday, the big dance, 100% certified MBN/MIM judges, invitation only.

schmitty28
04-27-2013, 07:36 PM
yeah I signed up for it just for the experience the judging and doing the tour

TooSaucedToPork
04-30-2013, 12:07 AM
We have a Brethren Happy Hour in our tent every Thursday of Memphis in May.

go to this thread

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150371

and then read this

http://www.toosaucedtopork.com/guide-to-memphis-in-may-bbq-fest-a-k-a-mim-wcbcc/

TooSaucedToPork
04-30-2013, 02:34 PM
Brethren Teams at Memphis in May

http://www.toosaucedtopork.com/wp-content/gallery/memphis-in-may-2013/brethren-map.jpg

John Bowen
05-07-2013, 12:27 PM
I have had a schedule issue at work and will not be able to get up there until Saturday but still plan to go. Saturday is not as fun but I can still visit with folks.

deguerre
05-07-2013, 12:32 PM
You absolutely MUST visit Too Sauced To Pork. The absolute most kindly folk you would ever want to meet. I still have my "Swinebucks" wrist band from a couple/three years ago as a momento of their graciousness.

John Bowen
05-07-2013, 01:57 PM
Thanks - they were on my list.