PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Masters In May Fremont Wi

Kave Dweller
04-23-2013, 08:44 AM
Who's bringing a snow shovel and carharts?

BBQ Church
04-23-2013, 09:04 AM
Hopefully no snow shovels needed but we'll be there with this new cooker:

http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu155/mcerchiara/20130420_183848.jpg

sweetracks
04-23-2013, 10:39 AM
I've trying to find a snowmobile strong enough to pull my trailer. Hopefully some of that crap melts. Can't wait

Stoke&Smoke
04-23-2013, 11:54 AM
How much snow is there right now? We are looking forward to it, but still have a lot of work to do getting the trailer de-winterized and ready to get up there!

do0d
04-23-2013, 01:34 PM
I'm ready!! I was out playing with the smokers this past weekend in the 30's with snow falling wondering how the more southern teams will like the weather :) There is no snow on the ground and temps are supposed to climb into the 60's this weekend with 70's predicted next week. If that holds we may finally have a spring up here!

sweetracks
04-23-2013, 02:57 PM
How much snow is there right now? We are looking forward to it, but still have a lot of work to do getting the trailer de-winterized and ready to get up there!

I don't think they actually have any on the ground...the keep getting dumped on though. Forecast looks nice and should melt it all away.

Parruthead
04-23-2013, 06:50 PM
Yeah! It should be really nice next weekend while I sure the heck hope it is. Because I'm coming to my first comp and going to hang out and check out the scene. Only snow I have in my yard is where the tree's block the sun and where the snow banks had been.

JUST SMOKIN'
04-23-2013, 09:28 PM
Snow is all gone, 70's by weekend. Next week 60's and 70's, come on Josh are you trying to talk yourself out of it? That new stoker will work just fine. And, by the way.......don't forget my new Sweetracks T-Shirt 2XL. Thanks Buddy :clap2:

Tim Schopp
TIM'S FULL BELLI DELI

OSHKOSH,WI

JOS WATER SMOKER
3 CORD WOOD
AND A YELLOW THERMAPEN

sweetracks
04-24-2013, 06:22 AM
I'm not talking myself out of anything Tim. It's going to be a beautiful week next week. 2XLs are supposed to arrive at my house by the 2nd. They are going from the front step to the truck.

Thermal Mass
04-24-2013, 08:33 AM
This may sound silly but...
We plan on coming up as spectators. We have never been to a true comp before.
I realize teams will be very busy until turn in. When would be the best time as a spectator to get the most from the event?
I check out the event site and it appears to be competitor focused, no details for parking admission, vendors, etc.

Thanks!

Stoke&Smoke
04-24-2013, 08:37 AM
Most any time Friday, as long as you don't bother folks in the middle of setting up. Friday evening most teams kind of socialize. Saturday can be a bit hectic but once turn-ins are over many teams will chat with you.

We're actually thinking of coming up Thursday afternoon/evening so we can get settled in and have plenty of time to set up and such Friday AM

Thermal Mass
04-24-2013, 09:23 AM
Thanks, kind of what I figured.
We went to a BBQ event in Ohio (Cleveland I believe) about 10 years ago. That event was very public oriented-food vendors, beer, entertainment, etc. It sounds like Masters is hard core comp and not really an entertainment type venue?

Either way we want to check it out.
I will bring my lurker hat. :mrgreen:

sweetracks
04-24-2013, 10:28 AM
We went to a BBQ event in Ohio (Cleveland I believe) about 10 years ago. That event was very public oriented-food vendors, beer, entertainment, etc. It sounds like Masters is hard core comp and not really an entertainment type venue?

I know we do things that aren't always normal :crazy: but we don't mind people hanging around Saturday morning and even during turn-ins. Our canopy has a couple nice windows that I always do our boxes in front of. I'm usually open to answer questions and such while I'm doing boxes. Feel free to stop by whenever. Look forward to meeting you.

Kave Dweller
04-24-2013, 02:51 PM

I thought I read somewhere that they were going to let us give out samples, so 230ish on sat might not be too bad if your looking to sample.

We are also thinking about coming up thursday night, are there any decent priced golf courses around for a friday morning round? If I have all day friday with nothing to do I will end up drinking and thinking too much, which usually leads to change of plan, which is usually a fail.

Thermal Mass
04-24-2013, 03:06 PM
I thought I read somewhere that they were going to let us give out samples, so 230ish on sat might not be too bad if your looking to sample.

We are also thinking about coming up thursday night, are there any decent priced golf courses around for a friday morning round? If I have all day friday with nothing to do I will end up drinking and thinking too much, which usually leads to change of plan, which is usually a fail.

Not sure on the golf course thing, but Freemont is known for white bass fishing and should still be good then... Wisconsin offers a 3 day licence.

Not necessarily looking for samples; although always a bonus, just needed to know if a cooler was necessary... Don't want an ornery tribe.:boxing:

Kave Dweller
04-24-2013, 03:34 PM
Not sure on the golf course thing, but Freemont is known for white bass fishing and should still be good then... Wisconsin offers a 3 day licence.

Not necessarily looking for samples; although always a bonus, just needed to know if a cooler was necessary... Don't want an ornery tribe.:boxing:

Firm believer in the theory that you can never have enough in the cooler.

Thanks for the fishing idea.

Parruthead
04-24-2013, 04:03 PM

There are a few not sure if there open but I'll get some names for you and shoot you a pm with contact info for them.

JUST SMOKIN'
04-25-2013, 05:46 AM
I agree with SWEETRACKS. If you came just before noon Saturday, you could watch the most intense part of the event....turn-in. Just stand back and watch! After we turn in a few pieces we give the spectators samples, if they eat enough we don't have to package and carry home! Free food, great action to watch. But, yes this year is a competitor based event. Not that we don't want spectators, just we want the spectators to get involved in BBQ, not a craft show, car show or other than BBQ. I personally haven't vended because of all the permitting and/or health department BS in different venues. Come and eat free if you like come to the awards at 4:00 and cheer us on.

Tim Schopp
TIM'S FULL BELLI DELI

Coz
04-25-2013, 05:03 PM
I agree with SWEETRACKS. If you came just before noon Saturday, you could watch the most intense part of the event....turn-in. Just stand back and watch! After we turn in a few pieces we give the spectators samples, if they eat enough we don't have to package and carry home! Free food, great action to watch. But, yes this year is a competitor based event. Not that we don't want spectators, just we want the spectators to get involved in BBQ, not a craft show, car show or other than BBQ. I personally haven't vended because of all the permitting and/or health department BS in different venues. Come and eat free if you like come to the awards at 4:00 and cheer us on.

Tim Schopp
TIM'S FULL BELLI DELI

I want some samples...

sweetracks
04-26-2013, 06:01 AM
The Weather Channel's extended forecast looks like some colder air will be moving back into the area next weekend. Don't forget the extra booze to take the chill off :wacko:

Kave Dweller
04-26-2013, 08:11 AM
Anyone have the list of what site we are all on?

Stoke&Smoke
04-26-2013, 11:15 AM
Anyone have the list of what site we are all on?

It's in this thread http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152350&highlight=Masters&page=10

But I'll save you the trip

2 SKINNY COOKS 71
5 FINGER BBQ 169
ALL AROUND PIGTAILS PORK 57
BADGER BBQ 261
BARABOO QUE 263
BBQ PITS & SPITS 170
BIG DADDY'S BBQ 164
BREW-B-Q BBQ 159
BREWTOWN SMOKERS 253
CHEF'S GONE GRILLING 157
CRASH TEST SMOKERS 58
CROIX VALLEY SAUCES 160
DOVI PT CREW 61
FAT ANDY'S BACKYARD BBQ 163
FOUNDING FATHERS BBQ 59
FOX RIVER BBQ 155
FREEMAN BROTHERS 173
iANIC BBQ 259
JURASSIC PORK 168
GETTIN' PIGGY WITH IT 256
GREEN EGGS & BAM 252
HEAD'S RED BBQ 152
KAVE DWELLERS 60
KEN'S BURNT ENDS 166
LUCKY'S QUE 172
MAC ATTACK BBQ 171
MEAT, SMOKE & TIME 257
MOOSE'S BBQ 72
QUAU BBQ 153
SLUG BUG BBQ 162
SMELL MY PITS 262
SMOKE INFUSION 56
SMOKEY & ONE-ARMED BANDIT 161
SMOKIN ACES CRAPSHOOT 154
SMOKING KARPS 254
SWEET RACKS & SMOKIN BUTTS 156
THEBBQSUPERSTORE.COM 158
THE SMOKIN' C'S BBQ 167
SMOKIN JOE'S 911 BBQ 251
TIM'S FULL BELLI DELI 51
T-MAC SMOKERS 260
TIPPYCANOE BBQ 174
TWO LITTLE PIGS BBQ 255

sweetracks
04-26-2013, 11:35 AM
Just a quick plug and reminder that this event is a part of the Great Lakes BBQ Association's Team of the Year program. Make sure you sign up at GLBBQA.com so you don't miss out on points!

Rich Parker
04-26-2013, 12:29 PM
A high of 46 degrees and a chance of rain. Woohoo!!!

Stoke&Smoke
04-26-2013, 01:09 PM
A high of 46 degrees and a chance of rain. Woohoo!!!

Geez Mr. Optomism, it's a week out, a lot could change!:boxing:

sweetracks
04-26-2013, 01:26 PM
Geez Mr. Optomism, it's a week out, a lot could change!:boxing:

Your right, I'm expecting snow. Michigan cookers love the snow! :clap2:

Stoke&Smoke
04-26-2013, 03:42 PM
Your right, I'm expecting snow. Michigan cookers love the snow! :clap2:

Spent the first 18 years of my life in MI, little snow won't hurt me, but I'd prefer 70's:grin:

Coz
04-26-2013, 06:25 PM
Let it snow !

JUST SMOKIN'
04-27-2013, 07:13 AM
I don't know about Michigan, but COZ can attest to the fact that we all bitch about a "cold" competition, but we spend all winter practicing in "bad" weather and then complain. Maybe that's why us Midwesterners have a hard time at our 1st comp of the year, we practice in garbage weather and when we finally get to a comp, the weather is nice and we are lost!

Trainwreck
04-27-2013, 03:34 PM
Can't wait to see everyone next weekend. Praying for nicer weather. Plan on just donating my money as I havent practiced near as much as I should have in the off sesaon.

sweetracks
04-27-2013, 04:16 PM
I don't know about Michigan, but COZ can attest to the fact that we all bitch about a "cold" competition, but we spend all winter practicing in "bad" weather and then complain. Maybe that's why us Midwesterners have a hard time at our 1st comp of the year, we practice in garbage weather and when we finally get to a comp, the weather is nice and we are lost!

I think you might be on to something there. But just so my bases are covered, I'm doing a dress rehearsal this weekend. Damn near 70 and not a cloud in the sky...absolutely perfect

do0d
04-27-2013, 04:48 PM
Yeah its beautiful out there today! Looking forward to meeting you guys too...should be a blast!

Stoke&Smoke
04-29-2013, 11:25 AM
Current forecast is looking wet, but not terribly cold! We're still looking forward to it!

Kave Dweller
04-29-2013, 12:52 PM
Started putting the pile together for loading the trailer weds. Amazed how much stuff I pulled out of the BBQ toolbox this winter that seemed to never get put back. Now the kitchen is empty and the box is back to full! Know I'm missing a buuuunch of stuff, but creating a list and checking things off just not my style.

Stoke&Smoke
05-01-2013, 11:25 AM
Seeing as how we bought ours (trailer) just last year, and only got to do 2 comps before I got sick, it's kind of like starting all over again! We're about ready for this one, and will streamline/tweak as we go on

The forecast is showing signs of improvement. Accuweather now says occaisional showers for Saturday, and Friday looks less bad than was forecast earlier this week.

Unfortunately, I'm behind schedule preparing due to work, so will likely be trimming everything but chicken onsite:mad: Oh well....used to always do it that way so not much new!

We're going to try and be on the road by no later than noon tomorrow

sweetracks
05-01-2013, 11:47 AM
Unfortunately we won't be hitting the road until 6 am (Wisconsin time) on Friday. Hope to be there by 1. The pile is ready to go, just need to grab a couple things from GFS. injections, rubs, and sauces are ready to go. Picking up meat tonight and trimming. Tomorrow we'll double check inventory, ice down some beer and wash / sort parsley. Can't wait to get on the road!

Thermal Mass
05-01-2013, 12:01 PM
Good luck to all!
Excited to check it all out and meet some real BBQ "Pros".:thumb:

Kave Dweller
05-01-2013, 04:07 PM
Think we are ready, we will see, in our typical fashion we are undecided if we are leaving tomorrow or friday am. We need a person of structure to help us.

Be a funny job posting, ISO strong willed person, preferably mean, who enjoys no salary and dealing with a couple of guys that can't make a decision, pay is zero, applicant must tolerate sleepless nights and irrational behavior of co-workers.

Thermal Mass
05-01-2013, 04:10 PM
Firm believer in the theory that you can never have enough in the cooler.

All things considered, it does not sound too bad? :mrgreen:

JUST SMOKIN'
05-02-2013, 06:02 AM
A couple of the host teams will arrive THURSDAY AFTERNOON. I have included at the bottom of this my cell number. If any teams need assistance (breakdown, direction, supplies, questions) feel free to hit me with a text or call, we will be happy to assist you. Looks like the weather may work in our favor. Wishing all teams a safe trip, and a fun and memorable MASTERS IN MAY !

Tim SCHOPP

TIM'S FULL BELLI DELI
OSHKOSH,WI

920 410 1897

Kave Dweller
05-02-2013, 12:39 PM
Carharts back out of the closet, heater in the trailer, sides for the tents are packed. May in wisconsin here we come.

Parruthead
05-02-2013, 09:20 PM
Carharts back out of the closet, heater in the trailer, sides for the tents are packed. May in wisconsin here we come.

Yesterday I was in shorts.. Today I turned on my furnace.....

See you all tomorrow afternoon!

do0d
05-02-2013, 09:29 PM
Haha ditto to what you both just said. Crazy! Looks like a cold wet night tomorrow, but a decent Saturday then. Seeya soon!