PDA

View Full Version : Wrong score

Disconnect
04-22-2013, 06:41 PM
I was going over our scores (and our card) from this weekend, and I just noticed. They mis-entered our ribs score. (Or it isn't our comment card.)

The card is clearly "856" (I can post a pic..) but the score sheet is "656".

It is a little late to do anything about it, but we had a bad enough time without losing 2 points to a typing error...

So I learned something new. If you get the opportunity to cross-check scores (also known as a comment card) DO SO, while you are still there and the reps are around..

Red Valley BBQ
04-22-2013, 07:50 PM
What were your other scores? The reason I ask is because the judges scores don't always get entered in the order they were sitting at the table.

DawgPhan
04-22-2013, 07:55 PM
I believe that the team number should be on both the sheet and the card. Do they match?

Ron_L
04-22-2013, 07:57 PM
Was this a KCBS comp? Are they giving out the score cards now? We have cooked in a long time so I'm curious.

Disconnect
04-22-2013, 07:59 PM
Good thoughts. (I didn't think to check the alt #..)

The alt # is the same on both.

The scores are 777,878,656, 887, 877, 767. Nothing else in there comes close except the 656..

(edit to add: I didn't get the original scorecard, I got a comment card with entry #, meat, cbj (y), the score (856) and the comment. It doesn't have a judge/seat number on it.

Ron_L
04-22-2013, 10:51 PM

The scores are 777,878,656, 887, 877, 767. Nothing else in there comes close except the 656..

(edit to add: I didn't get the original scorecard, I got a comment card with entry #, meat, cbj (y), the score (856) and the comment. It doesn't have a judge/seat number on it.

Ah... OK. Comment cards are typically the last thing the judge fills out for a category and they sometimes make a mistake putting the score on the comment card. That is not the official score. If you are concerned that an error was made contact the KCBS office and they can fax you copies of the official score card.

hogzillas
04-22-2013, 11:06 PM
The judge might've put the score wrong on the comment card when they filled it out & you actually did get a 656. You can email the reps & ask them to check to be sure what you did get as they should have the scores/cards to look.

Gowan
04-23-2013, 01:49 AM
Sometimes the judge puts the wrong box number on the comment card. I got one once showing scores unlike any I received for that category. Showed it to the Rep and they said it must have been meant for someone else and to just toss it.

Crash
04-23-2013, 03:37 AM
We had a 6 7 6 with no category selected at our latest KCBS event. We also had a 8 9 6 with the ribs category selected in the same event.

Not like it would have mattered with our terrible cook, but there was no 6 7 6 or 8 9 6 in any of the four categories from any of the 24 judges.

Judges make mistakes. Luckily, no harm done to our team.

Pappy Q
04-23-2013, 04:40 AM

If their was a mistake, I don't think it kept you from getting a call

VA BBQ PIRATES
04-23-2013, 06:36 AM
We too got a comment card that didn’t match at Salisbury. The team number is correct and the category was ribs. The score is on the card is clearly 665. Our lowest rib score was 876.

This has happened to us before & I caught it at the comp. Turns out in that case the card was right & the rep had entered the wrong scores on the score sheet.

We were so far down the pack that any errors wouldn’t have affected us but it kinda makes you wonder how often errors are made and where those errors occur. I don’t mean to take away anything from anyone who got calls or the reps. Just thinking out loud.

bignburlyman
04-23-2013, 07:11 AM
What were your other scores? The reason I ask is because the judges scores don't always get entered in the order they were sitting at the table.

I judged Smokin Red Dirt in Enid OK last weekend and the reps said we were using the new score cards that will be used with the new KCBScore (if it EVER gets done). The cards had a place for the table number and seating position. The reps instructed the table captains that when the judges turned the cards in to sort them into seat position order. I don't know if the person who was inputting the scores kept them that way but that is how they were turned in.

Iamarealbigdog
04-23-2013, 10:59 AM
Also got a "Comment Card" that did not match up on our score sheet. This judge threw us under the bus most scores were 9/8/8 these and one 7/8/6

Comment was the "ribs were sweet, too sweet" and the score on the comment card was something like 8/6/7

I do not make candy ribs.... so not sure where that comment was from, box number was not ours

Disconnect
04-23-2013, 11:02 AM
The alt # didn't match the printout?

Sounds like the judging had some serious issues. I'm gonna ask for a copy of our cards, a couple of our scores might have been better than they reported. Nothing to do about it, but at least I can get my charts&graphs updated correctly.

Anyone know what the normal procedure is for getting copies?