PDA

View Full Version : Not trusting my thermometers

manbearpig
04-22-2013, 06:38 PM
I'm getting different readings from my thermometers .Guru vs. quick read .Mostly concerned with brisket. I just switched to a Butchers injection from Myron Mixons injection. Do the Phosphate injections change your temp. pull times or probe feel. I thought I produced a pretty good product at the Washington Mo. comp. but judges thought otherwise. Any thoughts?

MikeJ65
04-22-2013, 07:06 PM
Brisket will become tender and different IT's so it is best to not worry about temp. I would not read too much into your tenderness scores unless they are well below your taste scores. It just seems like judges are very reluctant to give you an 8 or 9 on tenderness if they didn't like the taste.

colberto
04-22-2013, 08:51 PM
You should try a boil test on your thermometers. If nothing else, it will give you an idea of the one that is most accurate.

CBQ
04-22-2013, 10:05 PM
I'm getting different readings from my thermometers .Guru vs. quick read .Mostly concerned with brisket. I just switched to a Butchers injection from Myron Mixons injection. Do the Phosphate injections change your temp. pull times or probe feel. I thought I produced a pretty good product at the Washington Mo. comp. but judges thought otherwise. Any thoughts?

Butchers won't change the readings on a thermometer, nor make a difference on the probe test (which is how you should be cooking your brisket anyway) but it can change the pull time and the temperature profile over the course of a cook. Meats after the stall seem to climb faster with a phosphate injection vs. those without, so you have to pay closer attention the first few times you do it, as it will be ready at a different time than a non-injected brisket.

Quick read isn't that quick, leave it in for ten seconds and see what it says. As another poster says, place the sensors in boiling water to see how close they are. The Guru and The Stoker allow you to adjust the probe calibration if they aren't reading correctly during the boiling water test.