PDA

View Full Version : judges at pork in the park!

Goddahavit
04-22-2013, 12:18 PM
I'll be the first to admit i do not often give judges the credit, and often give them all the blame, lol

Anyway, I just wanted to say I had the most constructive feedback via comment cards from this competition ever.

I received 3 cards, and i first thought I poisioned someone, but after reading and thinking about them, I found it extreemly helpful.

I even got a card about something positive so i really appreciated that one:-o

So if im one to blame judges, I want to be one to say thanks for the time they took to comment. I hope I can make use of the information.
:clap2:

Thanks!

Alexa RnQ
04-22-2013, 12:34 PM
Most excellent post. We don't often hear appreciation for comment cards, and it's entirely deserved when we all know the system makes provisions but doesn't push them much.

Slamdunkpro
04-22-2013, 12:41 PM
I received 3 cards, and i first thought I poisioned someone, but after reading and thinking about them, I found it extreemly helpful.

Wish I'd have gotten one for the 4-4-4 I got when the other scores were all a mix of 9's & 8's with one 7.

K-Train
04-22-2013, 01:35 PM
Wish I'd have gotten one for the 4-4-4 I got when the other scores were all a mix of 9's & 8's with one 7.
WTF? That is way off

HawgNationBBQ
04-22-2013, 01:58 PM

No farkin way. That blows.

jmoney7269
04-22-2013, 02:10 PM
So what did the cards say? You know someone is gonna ask :mrgreen:

jmoney7269
04-22-2013, 02:14 PM
Did a cookoff a few months ago and got six 9's and two 1's on my chicken and screwed me out of a GC, made me place 17th in chicken. I was mad about that one! Probably some old timer that tried to twist the leg bone when nobody was lookin!

Slamdunkpro
04-22-2013, 02:17 PM

WTF? That is way off

No farkin way. That blows.

With no comment card it really makes you wonder. When I rep MABA events I've seen numerous cases of 9's not getting closed in at the top and looking like 4's, so many that we seek that judge out just to verify that they really meant FOUR and not NINE. Maybe all this happened and they meant 4, but in that case I'd like to know why.

BTW Mike, this was on ribs.

Goddahavit
04-22-2013, 02:23 PM
ouch, well i guess you know what score was dropped...

I am not saying all 106 judges were on the A game, I didnt agree all the cards, or the scores, but I sure do appreciate knowing where the score came from.

Just Pulin' Pork
04-22-2013, 02:35 PM
We got a comment card this past Saturday on chicken. The judge wrote it because he/she gave us a 6 on taste. It was a very fair comment card and as a cook we appreciated the solid feedback.

SDAR
04-22-2013, 06:27 PM
Did a cookoff a few months ago and got six 9's and two 1's on my chicken and screwed me out of a GC, made me place 17th in chicken. I was mad about that one! Probably some old timer that tried to twist the leg bone when nobody was lookin!

I've never been to a Texas comp that hands out scores. That would be cool though. I've always thought they should.

sdbbq1234
04-22-2013, 07:24 PM
Wish I had received a comment card for our ribs that was 6 5 5. Dang, I thought the taste and tenderness was some of the best I had done. As far as appearance, well, I know what I did wrong there. But, only having 2 racks to pick from............

wallace

TheJackal
04-22-2013, 10:05 PM
Do you guys get comment cards often? I think we only received a comment card at one competition and that was 5 years ago at Hudson Valley. We've received 4's in brisket when all other scores were 7, 8, 9s with no comment cards. We've received a 2 in an ancillary category where the rest were 6+ with no comment card. The only comment card I ever remember was in ribs where they pulled back a good 2-3" almost like a beef rib and the comment was 'nice presentation' or something to that effect.

Jorge
04-23-2013, 09:06 AM
With no comment card it really makes you wonder. When I rep MABA events I've seen numerous cases of 9's not getting closed in at the top and looking like 4's, so many that we seek that judge out just to verify that they really meant FOUR and not NINE. Maybe all this happened and they meant 4, but in that case I'd like to know why.

BTW Mike, this was on ribs.

You can request a copy of your cards if you'd like to find out.

ModelMaker
04-23-2013, 09:32 AM

If you received two 1's then your entry was DQ'd for some reason and DQ's can only be authorized by a Rep (KCBS) who then reports the reason to the cook. If this really happened then chances are since it was only one judge, that person may not have gotten a sample.
Ed

Jorge
04-23-2013, 09:33 AM
If you received two 1's then your entry was DQ'd for some reason and DQ's can only be authorized by a Rep (KCBS) who then reports the reason to the cook. If this really happened then chances are since it was only one judge, that person may not have gotten a sample.
Ed

You are assuming that it was a KCBS contest.

Slamdunkpro
04-23-2013, 10:09 AM
You can request a copy of your cards if you'd like to find out.
I know, but if it was really 4's I still won't know why and if the writing is iffy there's no way to correct it now (think hanging chad). Best to just press on and whine about it on the internet.

ModelMaker
04-23-2013, 10:32 AM
You are assuming that it was a KCBS contest.

Hence the KCBS in parentheses (you 'ol cramudgin)
Ed

Jorge
04-23-2013, 10:33 AM
Hence the KCBS in parentheses (you 'ol cramudgin)
Ed

Hello pot, have you met kettle?:mrgreen::mrgreen:

RangerJ
04-23-2013, 01:01 PM

Not to thread Hijack since it was a positive one...

But like SDAR said, I've never seen a Texas contest give back any scores or cards, what sanctioning body was this?

Bentley
04-23-2013, 01:56 PM

Any judge that would give that score and not be compelled to write why has no business sitting at any KCBS judging table.

Crash
04-24-2013, 04:19 AM
We received a 988 on a rib score at our last KCBS comp. We also got a comment card that said "rib was dry, possibly overcooked". Still finished in the bottom half of the field.

It's the little things in a bad cook. :)

chickenchoker
04-24-2013, 06:09 AM
we never get comment cards