PDA

View Full Version : Decent Q joints in Sonoma/Napa/SF Cali area?

TIMMAY
04-22-2013, 10:37 AM
Going to visit a buddy in CA later this week, I figured I should ask if there's any decent Q restaurants around the Sonoma, Napa, and San Francisco areas.

EDIT... Hell, I guess we could say anywhere there and in between too.

Smoothsmoke
04-22-2013, 10:39 AM
http://phatmattsbbq.com/ seems to get great reviews.

Ron_L
04-22-2013, 11:43 AM
Phat Matts is good and run by Brethren!

Smoothsmoke
04-22-2013, 11:44 AM
Maker sure to try some Cioppino.

el_matt
04-22-2013, 12:01 PM
Phat Matts is a good one. Make sure you try the chocolate covered bacon.

Matt

SmokinJohn
04-22-2013, 03:55 PM
Phat Matts is a good one. Make sure you try the chocolate covered bacon.

Matt

1. You had me at bacon
2. Wouldst thou be the matt of mention? :becky:

landarc
04-22-2013, 04:04 PM
Phat Matt's is a good one, in Oakland.

Memphis Minnies in San Francisco, I am hearing good things about HiLo BBQ and SouthPaw BBQ, but, have not been to either one.

In Napa, there is BarbersQ, it has been a couple of years, but, it is good.

To be honest, if I was in Napa, and wanted to eat, I would skip the BBQ and go to The Ox Bow Market and graze like a starving cow. The pastrami sandwich at 5-Dot Ranch is amongst the best pastrami I have had anywhere. Pica Pica does these stuffed Arepa that are incredible. The charcuterie at Fatted Calf is exceptional. To be honest, I cannot remember a trip to Napa in the last 5 years, that I didn't make a visit there. Hog Island always has great oysters and chowder.

landarc
04-22-2013, 04:10 PM
My favorite stops for food in Sonoma are also not BBQ, I honestly can't think of a single place. But, I love Russian River Brewing's Pub, Third Street Ale Works is also good stuff, especially if you like beer, those two places, you want to go to. You can stuff in Lagunitas and that would make one heck of a great bender.

I love to wander around Healdsburg, but, usually just grab a sandwich at the Oakville Grocery. They have an occasional special of a roasted duck pastrami that was wonderful. Dry Creek General Store is just as good.

Rub'n Wood BBQ
04-22-2013, 05:06 PM
Not BBQ, but Hurleys in Yountville is a good place to grab a drink(s) and some critical mass fries - that was a fav of mine when I lived in the Valley. Bounty Hunter BBQ in napa is good, nice wines there.

Groundhog66
04-22-2013, 07:24 PM
I wouldn't waste my time at Phat Matt's, I'd try to hook up with some local Brethren for some quality Q.

landarc
04-22-2013, 07:49 PM
I don't have a yard to offer, but, if someone with a yard is up for it, that is the best way for Timmay to get some great BBQ

TIMMAY
04-22-2013, 08:47 PM
Phat Matt's is a good one, in Oakland.

Memphis Minnies in San Francisco, I am hearing good things about HiLo BBQ and SouthPaw BBQ, but, have not been to either one.

In Napa, there is BarbersQ, it has been a couple of years, but, it is good.

To be honest, if I was in Napa, and wanted to eat, I would skip the BBQ and go to The Ox Bow Market and graze like a starving cow. The pastrami sandwich at 5-Dot Ranch is amongst the best pastrami I have had anywhere. Pica Pica does these stuffed Arepa that are incredible. The charcuterie at Fatted Calf is exceptional. To be honest, I cannot remember a trip to Napa in the last 5 years, that I didn't make a visit there. Hog Island always has great oysters and chowder. I kinda figured Q in that area takes a back seat to the foodie/wine nerd (I mean that as a complinemt, I am a beer nerd) crowd and the style of food served.

My favorite stops for food in Sonoma are also not BBQ, I honestly can't think of a single place. But, I love Russian River Brewing's Pub, Third Street Ale Works is also good stuff, especially if you like beer, those two places, you want to go to. You can stuff in Lagunitas and that would make one heck of a great bender.

I love to wander around Healdsburg, but, usually just grab a sandwich at the Oakville Grocery. They have an occasional special of a roasted duck pastrami that was wonderful. Dry Creek General Store is just as good. Already have RR and Lagunitas on the itinerary, also gonna check out Monk's Kettle in SF

I don't have a yard to offer, but, if someone with a yard is up for it, that is the best way for Timmay to get some great BBQ
This is true, but I dunno... Maybe I need to keep that Q joint adventure for when I can make it to Lockhart. No doubt there is a whole lot of other top shelf places to eat in the Napa area, so its really not a huge deal.

landarc
04-22-2013, 10:43 PM
Monks Kettle is an excellent choice

brownkw
05-09-2013, 10:52 AM
I enjoyed Phat Matt's both times I went when I was out in SF for training. Another place to check out would be Gorilla BBQ in Pacifica. http://www.gorillabbq.com/

deguerre
05-09-2013, 11:17 AM
Hmmmmm...OP was 4/22, "later this week" I dunno, but I'm thinkin' it's a done deal now. I would like to know where you went Timmay and did you get pics?

TIMMAY
05-09-2013, 12:23 PM
Well... Yea... I did eat at a bunch of places... None of em were BBQ. Lets see... We did the Monk's Kettle for lunch when I showed up, Sol Food, Bottega, The Goose and Gander, Russian River Brewing, Hana Sushi... And I don't remember the rest... Every single place we ate at was either on the food network, or should have been. I had a $400 trip budget, and I blew that in two days!!! I have to go through my pics and see... I have a couple different ones from various places.

One thing I did learn from this trip... My body really dislikes wine. I did not get intoxicated all that much, but sampling wine all day did not aid in digestion. Dont get me wrong... The wine tasted GREAT, but I really hated the bubble guts at the end of the day.

landarc
05-09-2013, 12:55 PM
The wine here is really acidic, tears you up. I can only do one or two wineries a day.

I love Bottega, a great place. Monk's Kettle for beer food, none better.

How did you like Russian River?

deguerre
05-09-2013, 01:01 PM
The wine here is really acidic...

Sounds like the beginnings of a good vinegar.

TIMMAY
05-09-2013, 01:05 PM
Honestly I did not like their sours at Russian River. I like a milder flanders red type sour like Rodenbach. Their sours are too funky for me, too much sweaty locker room funk. The place was packed like sardines, kinda took away from the relaxation. Did their beer sampler, that was nice. Also had some munchies off the menu. Their IPA's were good recipes, but I have been IPA'ed out for the past few weeks.

Changing it up a hair... Have you ever tried Charbay's R5 whisky? Its distilled from Racer 5 IPA. I got to try that, Charbay's brandy, and tequila at Sol Bar. We split the roast pork for lunch, and it was not all that good. I can make better pork at home. I am not much of a brandy drinker but that Charbay brandy was GREAT!!! no wonder, the stuff is $300 a bottle. Their port was really good too. Had that straight from the barrel, they had not bottled it yet.

TIMMAY
05-09-2013, 01:06 PM
Sounds like the beginnings of a good vinegar.
I would not use it as vinegar... The oak presence really smacks you in the face with some of the reds...

landarc
05-09-2013, 01:09 PM
I have not tried that. Will have to look out for it. I do like Racer 5, although it is hard to imagine all that bitter works in a distilled drink

TIMMAY
05-09-2013, 01:14 PM
The hop flavor in the whisky is unlike anything I have ever tasted. The alcohol by itself covers up the bitternss, and you can taste the depth of the different malts used in the beer, and the hop flavor was a... candied pine taste and aroma. Not really overpowering, but you know its there. I would bet that most folk that take pride in drinking traditional whiskys would not like the flavor. I loved the change of pace. Gotta save for a bottle, its $80. Oh yea forgot to mention you need to try the aged R5. They sell it straight up like white lightning, and aged.

landarc
05-09-2013, 01:16 PM
That sounds interesting too. There is so much stuff going on out here, it is impossible to function and keep up on the beer and booze scene. I do try.

TIMMAY
05-09-2013, 01:59 PM
Yup. I did not know I was a port lover till I tried it. Specifically white port. Got a bottle from Praeger Port Works and Kaz Winery. That Kaz Winery had to be the smallest winery we went to, I think he said they do 600 cases a year. They are so low key, he hand wrote the label on my bottle with a gold paint pen!

I think the best meal I had though was the rigatoni and braised rabbit at Bottega. I could eat that once a week for the rest of my life. Also had the strawberry tart with basil ice cream for dessert. Basil ice cream??? WOW!!! That really knocked my socks off. We also had the molten cake -which I thought was great- but the basil ice cream blew the molten cake away!

landarc
05-09-2013, 02:02 PM
Yeah, that Bottega is pretty amazing, went there on a major pig out, and nothing was a miss. I think the chocolate molten cake is hard to make spectacular, although I have an excellent version in SF.