PDA

View Full Version : Contest Announcment New London, CT 2013

CBQ
04-21-2013, 09:49 PM
The Best BBQ Chef Competition has been approved by the City of New London and KCBS (http://www.kcbs.us/events.php?year=&month=&id=4404). Mark your calendar for Sept 28 & 29, 2013.

This event has been an auto-qualifier for The Jack and The Royal for the last 2 years.

The organizer prefers to distribute applications via email instead of a web site. You can request an application via the organizer's web site:

Barbara J. Neff
Neff Productions
2 State ST
New London CT 06320

www.neffproductions.com (http://www.neffproductions.com/content/contact_event_coordinator_neff_productions_ct.asp)
(860) 443-3786

Pitmaster T
04-22-2013, 10:00 AM
I guess if they pay the money you can have an "auto-qualifier." I used to live and BBQ there.

BigBarry
04-23-2013, 10:57 PM
Any more details? Location? Not having a website for an event is a bit weird. Anyone else done this event? I love the idea of a ferry ride to a comp.

trohrs123
04-24-2013, 07:30 AM
FYI
Received this email from the organizer, Barbara Neff, that was sent to her from Kim Palmer BBQ Coordinator at the American Royal
Barbara –

Thank you for submitting contest information from The Best BBQ Chef Competition that was held in New London, CT September 29-30, 2012. Per the registration sheet, KCBS website and a phone call to you, this was a 2nd year event and there were 19 teams competing. Per American Royal qualifying criteria, there must be 25 teams competing in each event, unless it is a first year event, then the minimum number of teams is dropped to 15. Based on this information, the Grand Champion from this competition will not be invited to the 2013 Invitational Contest at the American Royal. For your information, I have attached the Invitational Qualifying Contest Criteria for the 2013 American Royal.

When you contact the Grand Champion with this information, you may want to mention they can still to participate in the Joe’s Open Contest, which is held the same weekend at the American Royal. This competition is open to anyone who wants to compete and spaces are given on a first come, first served basis.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Regards,

Kim Palmer
American Royal
BBQ Contest Coordinator

Ackman
04-24-2013, 07:32 AM
That was my first competition. It is along the waterfront. Only issue was that across the road, there were three bars that were having a contest as to who could blast their techno music the loudest until closing at 2 AM

CBQ
04-24-2013, 08:58 AM
FYI
Received this email from the organizer, Barbara Neff, that was sent to her from Kim Palmer BBQ Coordinator at the American Royal
Barbara –

Thank you for submitting contest information from The Best BBQ Chef Competition that was held in New London, CT September 29-30, 2012. Per the registration sheet, KCBS website and a phone call to you, this was a 2nd year event and there were 19 teams competing. Per American Royal qualifying criteria, there must be 25 teams competing in each event, unless it is a first year event, then the minimum number of teams is dropped to 15. Based on this information, the Grand Champion from this competition will not be invited to the 2013 Invitational Contest at the American Royal. For your information, I have attached the Invitational Qualifying Contest Criteria for the 2013 American Royal.

When you contact the Grand Champion with this information, you may want to mention they can still to participate in the Joe’s Open Contest, which is held the same weekend at the American Royal. This competition is open to anyone who wants to compete and spaces are given on a first come, first served basis.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Regards,

Kim Palmer
American Royal
BBQ Contest Coordinator

Tim,

You should question that. Kim is overlooking something. AR Rules (http://www.kcbs.us/news.php?id=532) state that if there is only one sanctioned contest in a state, then you only need 15 teams. This was the only sanctioned 4 meat contest in CT in 2012, and the only one scheduled prior to the AR cutoff of July 30th 2013. You need to point that out to them, because it doesn't even occur to people from Kansas City that there might be states with only one contest. :becky:

That certainly applies to The Jack as well. Smokin' at the Ballpark in Maine became a qualifier last year with only 16 teams, because the winners of the other two contests in Maine auto qualified elsewhere, so Jack Daniels considered this to be the sole contest in Maine. (Lakeside auto qualified by winning RI, and 3Eyz by winning farking everything. (More than 7 GCs in a season auto qualifies you for The Jack))

Q Haven
04-24-2013, 11:19 AM
We cooked this contest last year. It was definitely interesting. The teams were spread out all along the New London waterfront, which is bordered by train tracks and the city bar district. For you Long Islanders the Orient Point ferry lands right at the site. It was just KCBS with no grilling, so the contest itself was fine. Tim that sucks about the Royal, I hope it is reversed.

CBQ
04-24-2013, 11:35 AM
FYI: I sent a suggestion to the organizer about ice and water. There is ice being sold one block away from the contest, a short walk. They now have a water source on the piers, so people bring 100 ft of hose and a Y connector, we can all have running water at the event. She will be adding that information to the application.

deez butts
04-24-2013, 12:23 PM
FYI: I sent a suggestion to the organizer about ice and water. There is ice being sold one block away from the contest, a short walk. They now have a water source on the piers, so people bring 100 ft of hose and a Y connector, we can all have running water at the event. She will be adding that information to the application.

Mike from Que and a Half Men went under the pier and hooked themselves up for water and then hooked us up off of them. He said there are hookups every so many feet under the pier so that when boats come in they can hose off or something like that.

trohrs123
04-24-2013, 01:21 PM
Tim,

You should question that. Kim is overlooking something. AR Rules (http://www.kcbs.us/news.php?id=532) state that if there is only one sanctioned contest in a state, then you only need 15 teams. This was the only sanctioned 4 meat contest in CT in 2012, and the only one scheduled prior to the AR cutoff of July 30th 2013. You need to point that out to them, because it doesn't even occur to people from Kansas City that there might be states with only one contest. :becky:

That certainly applies to The Jack as well. Smokin' at the Ballpark in Maine became a qualifier last year with only 16 teams, because the winners of the other two contests in Maine auto qualified elsewhere, so Jack Daniels considered this to be the sole contest in Maine. (Lakeside auto qualified by winning RI, and 3Eyz by winning farking everything. (More than 7 GCs in a season auto qualifies you for The Jack))
Chris
I called and sent an email pointing that out. Just not sure how or why I know the qualifying criteria better than they do.
She responded that the AR board and KCBS will look into it.
whatever that means
Tim

Scottie
04-24-2013, 05:29 PM
Never have cooked CT....

trohrs123
05-07-2013, 07:22 PM
Update:
Received email from Kim at American Royal:
Tim –
Thank you for your patience.* I needed to run the situation by my Competition Committee for official review.
When we visit KCBS.us, we see the following contests in Connecticut for our qualifying period:
09/01/12
to
09/02/12
Blues, Views and BBQ (Competitor's Series) Westport, CT
KCBS Reps: LESLIE LOVELY, DON LOVELY
CBJ Percentage: 100%
Grand Champion: I.Q. Bbq
Results In Number of Teams: 23 High Score: 649.7144
09/29/12
to
09/30/12
The Best BBQ Chef Competition New London, CT
STATE CHAMPIONSHIP
Contact: Barbara Neff Phone: 860-443-3786. bj@neffproductions.com
KCBS Reps: KEN DAKAI, KATHIE DAKAI
Prize Money: $4600.00 CBJ Percentage: 93%
Grand Champion: Stubborn Bull BBQ
Results In Number of Teams: 19 High Score: 665.1430
07/12/13
to
07/13/13
Backyard BBQ Bash Cook-Off (CANCELLED) Bethel, CT
[CANCELLED]
Contact: Bobbi Jo Beers Phone: 203-743-6500. bobbijo@bethelchamber.com
KCBS Reps:
Results not in.
Where we see the Backyard BBQ has been cancelled, their website indicates Blues, Views and BBQ was a KCBS sanctioned event during our qualifying period.* Per our requirements, a state with only one contest can send a Grand Champion to the Invitational, as long as they have a minimum of 15 competing teams.** The KCBS website indicates Connecticut has had two events.
I have copied Barbara Neff on this email as well.* If either one of you feel we have made an error, please contact me.
Thank you,
Kim Palmer

I called kcbs and they stated that the Blues Views and BBQ contest in Westport was a KCBS sanctioned event even though the categories were ribs, chicken, dessert, chefs choice.
So I continue to hold hope that we will get an invite, but not looking good. Not only was KCBS not helpful but was actually annoyed with me for asking.
To be continued......

CBQ
05-07-2013, 09:54 PM
Wow. Westport counts as a contest? It's a backyard contest, not a 4 meat event. No teams cooked there in 2012 that I recognize from the NE/NY pro circuit. I wonder if the winner even knows that they can get into the Royal Invitational?

The KCBS web site, by the way, says: "The Competitors Series Contest is not eligible for the American Royal or the Jack Daniels World Championship. In addition, teams who participate in a Licensed Contest will not receive KCBS Team of the Year points." Apparently not!

The Jack rules are different, has to be a 4 meat contest, so should still be an auto for you there. (...and people will cook New London because the Jack auto is what they really want...)

CBQ
05-07-2013, 10:00 PM
Um, let's stir the pot some more. These are the rules for the Royal Invitational. (http://i.saffireevent.com/files.ashx?t=fg&f=Sanctioning%20Body%20Criteria.pdf&rid=AmericanRoyal)

So...by these criteria....would NEBS grilling events qualify for the American Royal Invitational? Yes, NEBS says they sanction grilling, not BBQ, so it's a fine point, but what's the difference between a NEBS grilling event, and the Westport Chef's Choice and Dessert categories? That sort of stuff is right in the NEBS wheelhouse. NEBS has 21 sanctioned events this year, published rules, a scoring system, is a legal entity, etc. etc.

CBQ
08-12-2013, 10:14 AM
Updated Info for this contest...

The Best BBQ Chef Competition Sept 29
The City of New London is proud to host the state of Connecticut’s Kansas City Barbeque Society (KCBS) state championship for the third year in a row. Barbecue and grilling enthusiasts throughout the country will compete for top recognition in the State. The winner of the event will qualify to compete in the American Royal Barbecue in Kansas City.

The Best BBQ Chef Competition, where barbecue and grilling enthusiasts throughout the country will compete for top recognition in the State. Enjoy a BBQ competition where you can interact with the chefs while taking in the aromas of their grills, watch food demos from local restaurants and absorb the sounds of live entertainment.

Team info:
The Best BBQ Chef Competition Contest is sanctioned by the Kansas City Barbeque Society (KCBS). KCBS 2013 contest rules will be in effect.

KCBS contest entrance fee: $250

Meat Inspection- September 28

Cooks Meeting- September 28 at 4 pm

The 4 four categories will be judged in the following order:
Chicken Noon
Pork Ribs 12:30 pm
Pork 1:00 pm
Beef Brisket 1:30 pm

Awards Presentation 3 pm - Approximately

Sites are 10 x 30( larger space are available but are limited), Includes Electricity (20 amps)

All teams must adhere to Ledge Light Health District and New London Fire codes.

Total prize money $4,600.00

For an application to compete or to judge, email: bj@neffproductions.com

My comment: this probably isn't an auto any more, due to a new contest in Stamford, CT. It's still a 50/50 shot at the Jack though - and now you have to chance to see if you can take down Myron Mixon. (See my next post.)

CBQ
08-12-2013, 10:17 AM
Myron Mixon to Join
New London’s Best BBQ Chef Competition

New London, CT, August 6, 2013– Myron Mixon, the “winningest” man in barbecue will be participating in the New London, CT BBQ Competition; The Best BBQ Chef competition. The Competition is set to take place on Sunday September 29, 2013 stating at noon along the waterfront. The event is open to the public and will feature 25+ cook teams competing for the title of Best BBQ Chef.

Myron has won over 180 grand championships, 30 state championships, and 11 national championships. He has over 1800 trophies which he displays proudly in his home in Unadilla, GA. This October he is set to be inducted into the BBQ Hall of Fame at the American Royal in Kansas City, MO.

Myron is the host of BBQ Pitmasters on Destination America, and has released two New York Times Bestselling cookbooks; “Smokin’ with Myron Mixon” and “Everyday Barbecue.” He has also made appearances on The Tonight Show, The Late Late Show, Conan, ABC’s Good Morning America, NBC’s Today Show and QVC to name a few.

Most Recently, Myron has partnered with Waterford, CT based fabricator, Seconn Fabrication to launch his own line of barbecue smokers. His revolutionary water smoker design utilizes the benefits of steam and smoke to take you to a whole new level of barbecuing. Lead by Owner Rob Marelli, Seconn has a history of unmatched speed, precision, technical knowledge, was a former Fabricator of the Year and runner up for National Small Business of the Year. Together, Rob and Myron have formed Myron Mixon Smokers, and have created a kick-ass smoker for every BBQ enthusiast; commercial, consumer, and competition.

Barbara J. Neff
Neff Productions
2 State ST
New London CT 06320
Sailfest - Executive Director
New London City Dock Master
www.neffproductions.com (http://www.neffproductions.com/)
(860) 443-3786

Cue's Your Daddy
08-12-2013, 02:18 PM
Are the sites really 10 x30? or is that a typo.

trohrs123
08-12-2013, 03:05 PM
caved in and signed up today

Sledneck
08-12-2013, 03:30 PM
Are the sites really 10 x30? or is that a typo.
yes they are all along the edges of the pier. lousy contest,real lousy money but in a state where you get a 50/50 Jack draw

Sledneck
08-12-2013, 03:34 PM
caved in and signed up todaysome caving pffffft

CBQ
08-12-2013, 05:31 PM

Well, you DID GC it last year. :becky:

Personally, I think it will be fun to take on Myron.

I think it's an interesting venue. Maybe a little weird, but interesting. You can get more space if you ask the organizer - especially if it's wider vs. deeper.

By the way, the big money Smoke on the Water production in Atlantic City is the same setup....shallow but wide sites along the AC boardwalk. They are 20' deep there, but if you want more space you have to go wide.

CBQ
08-12-2013, 05:34 PM
yes they are all along the edges of the pier. lousy contest,real lousy money but in a state where you get a 50/50 Jack draw

Since it's on a concrete pier, you can't get fined for burning the grass, which is my new entry criterion for low money events. :becky: The prize pool is also more than 50% larger than that "other" contest in another 50/50 state.

Slamdunkpro
08-12-2013, 07:24 PM
We might wander up depending on what happens at Sam's this weekend.

Muzzlebrake
08-12-2013, 07:25 PM
More importantly, how do you feel about $200 first place category? :shocked:

:becky:

you get a 50/50 Jack draw

Is that the draw of this contest? Does Myron competing there actually make a difference in anyone's decision to compete there or not? I'm not asking to start chit, I'm really just curious.

What is it with CT contests that they always seem to be last minute, pay little and shrouded in secrecy? Is there something in the water that prevents them from planning, promoting and paying out like the majority of other contests that happen during the year?

trohrs123
08-12-2013, 07:48 PM

Is that the draw of this contest? Does Myron competing there actually make a difference in anyone's decision to compete there or not? I'm not asking to start chit, I'm really just curious.

What is it with CT contests that they always seem to be last minute, pay little and shrouded in secrecy? Is there something in the water that prevents them from planning, promoting and paying out like the majority of other contests that happen during the year?

For me the draw is the 50/50 shot for Jack 2014
Also, with SAMs club out for me and a trip to TN coming up I want to stay in "BBQ shape" too many weeks off is not good for me...the presence or absence of Myron is of no importance
You and I did quite well in DC vs Myron, Tuffy and Johnny Trigg:becky:

Sledneck
08-12-2013, 08:08 PM

What is it with CT contests that they always seem to be last minute, pay little and shrouded in secrecy? Is there something in the water that prevents them from planning, promoting and paying out like the majority of other contests that happen during the year?the jack draw is the only thing good.

Myron? Yawn. I hear paul kirk is also competing there as well :tongue:

Stamford had good payouts. He was in the 90 days for stamford but bobs other contests have always been announced a year in advance.

As far as other contest paying out? We got $500 for rgc in rhode island . That was pathetic. They take in close to $14k in entry money there.

Muzzlebrake
08-12-2013, 10:21 PM
As far as other contest paying out? We got $500 for rgc in rhode island . That was pathetic. They take in close to $14k in entry money there.

Yeah they are another low payout, but they are or were the last 2 years an auto to The Jack so I can see what the draw there is, Cannonlady. :becky:

CBQ
08-13-2013, 08:50 AM

For me: it's an hour from my house, I won my first GC there and got to the Jack with it, and Myron is one of many people I have taken a class from - so yes, I do want to see if I can beat him.

New London did announce very early this year, so the organizer is learning. She is used to dealing with vendors and doesn't really get why teams want to know all these things vendors don't care about, but she is genuine and it's a real contest with a proclamation.

Not that I'm ruling out the water theory. :becky:

Muzzlebrake
08-13-2013, 12:08 PM
So I'm trying to tread lightly and not turn this into a lets bash this contest thread so lets keep that in mind. In fact if I were not going to be in KC on the 29th I would seriously consider signing up for this.

I get what makes its a draw for you Chris, Sled still thinks he's the King of CT ( a title he held for a long time!) what surprises me is Tim going back after just last year being victim of the "CT Auto", an outspoken opponent of low payouts who prefers a Kiss Cruze and AC over the Jack and Royal.

I appreciate the fact that the contest was scheduled early but now under 60 days out and there is no readily available information about payouts, attendance, a website or FB page about it anywhere I can find. There is however an email blast announcing that Myron is cooking there.

So looking at the information available, what would bring a team out to a pier during hurricane season for a contest that is known for low payouts, not having a website/advertising/social media presence and provides no information other than to promote Myron cooking and partnering with a local business.

It's not just this contest, I had a very similar experience with the Staten Island contest and the filming of Pitmasters and CT has just always seemed to have struggled to put together a good solid contest with some longevity that teams have locked into there schedule. I don't think low payouts, restricted information or scheduling and announcing the contest 90 days on the same day of a long standing contest is going to help change that.

Are we all just that hungry for a contest or is this just me bitchin-n-moaning? I would love to have good solid contest in CT and want to support efforts to establish but I haven't had reason to do that for at least the 3-4 years.

trohrs123
08-13-2013, 12:34 PM
So I'm trying to tread lightly and not turn this into a lets bash this contest thread so lets keep that in mind. In fact if I were not going to be in KC on the 29th I would seriously consider signing up for this.

I get what makes its a draw for you Chris, Sled still thinks he's the King of CT ( a title he held for a long time!) what surprises me is Tim going back after just last year being victim of the "CT Auto", an outspoken opponent of low payouts who prefers a Kiss Cruze and AC over the Jack and Royal.

I appreciate the fact that the contest was scheduled early but now under 60 days out and there is no readily available information about payouts, attendance, a website or FB page about it anywhere I can find. There is however an email blast announcing that Myron is cooking there.

So looking at the information available, what would bring a team out to a pier during hurricane season for a contest that is known for low payouts, not having a website/advertising/social media presence and provides no information other than to promote Myron cooking and partnering with a local business.

It's not just this contest, I had a very similar experience with the Staten Island contest and the filming of Pitmasters and CT has just always seemed to have struggled to put together a good solid contest with some longevity that teams have locked into there schedule. I don't think low payouts, restricted information or scheduling and announcing the contest 90 days on the same day of a long standing contest is going to help change that.

Are we all just that hungry for a contest or is this just me bitchin-n-moaning? I would love to have good solid contest in CT and want to support efforts to establish but I haven't had reason to do that for at least the 3-4 years.

true true and true
but what else am i going to do? stay home and work on the honey do list? :crazy:
NO WAY...

CTSmokehouse
08-13-2013, 09:34 PM

There are efforts in CT to establish a well run BBQ Contest....FYI,

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Cut-n-Que
08-14-2013, 12:43 PM
This was just posted. Still no breakdown of the prize pool

http://www.downtownnewlondonassociation.com/portfolio/thebestbbqchefcompetition/

Sledneck
08-14-2013, 01:05 PM
Myron should put up some prize money for all the advertising he's getting ;)

Slamdunkpro
08-14-2013, 04:24 PM
Anyone know where to get an entry form?

trohrs123
08-14-2013, 05:53 PM
Anyone know where to get an entry form?

Follow link on kcbs to Barbara's web site and shoot her email and request one...the web site listed has nothing to do with the contest...just email her

chipb22
08-14-2013, 06:43 PM
I sent my entry in last week and received an email the other day that Mr Mixon will be competing.

Sledneck
08-14-2013, 09:43 PM
:rolleyes:Jesus Christ is cooking new London

CBQ
08-14-2013, 10:51 PM
true true and true
but what else am i going to do? stay home and work on the honey do list? :crazy:
NO WAY...

Polish the frogs? [In Tim's case, not nearly as kinky as it sounds.]

Cue's Your Daddy
08-15-2013, 05:39 AM
:rolleyes:Jesus Christ is cooking new London

Not as big as Myron....

So Tim polishes frogs and gives away happy endings.

trohrs123
08-15-2013, 08:43 AM
Not as big as Myron....

So Tim polishes frogs and gives away happy endings.
that's it!!! I want my happy ending back!! :wacko:

Cue's Your Daddy
08-15-2013, 09:19 AM

You can have a happy ending if you help me with Brisket....

trohrs123
08-15-2013, 11:17 AM
You can have a happy ending if you help me with Brisket....

clean out your PM box!!

Muzzlebrake
08-15-2013, 11:21 AM

How would go about giving back a happy ending? :hand:

trohrs123
08-15-2013, 11:38 AM
How would go about giving back a happy ending? :hand:

:wink:

scm1226
08-15-2013, 11:45 AM
Can anyone say woodpile???

QN
08-29-2013, 06:24 PM
Heard today they have 20 teams signed up. Will they get 5 more to make this a qualifier?

CBQ
08-29-2013, 07:38 PM
If they are up to 20 now, probably yes.

Ackman
08-29-2013, 07:48 PM
Wednesday she told me she had 21 paid--

PigxelPerfectBbq
08-30-2013, 01:26 PM
Im from CT and my entire family still lives in Storrs.... deciding if I should make the journey back to the east coast for the comp. Not that I plan on being GC but bigger payouts would give my wallet a little more incentive to front me the cash to get there and back haha

dr pearl
08-30-2013, 02:15 PM
Thinking about this if I don't get into Que By The Sea. Leaving for KC on Tuesday for Royal, so makes schedule a bit tight. Agree, bigger payouts would be a nice incentive. Sounds like there is room, so we'll see. Be a last minute call pending

CBQ
08-30-2013, 05:28 PM
Not that I plan on being GC

We didn't either, but that's where we got our first GC, a trip to the Royal, and the Jack. With 21 teams signed up, 2 "maybes" posting here..sounds like they will get to 25. Any contest with free beer at the cook's meeting can't be all that bad. :becky:

trohrs123
08-30-2013, 06:14 PM
We didn't either, but that's where we got our first GC, a trip to the Royal, and the Jack. With 21 teams signed up, 2 "maybes" posting here..sounds like they will get to 25. Any contest with free beer at the cook's meeting can't be all that bad. :becky:

Chris,
You have a real sweet spot for either this contest or for Barbara...hope the wife doesnt find out:biggrin1:

CBQ
08-30-2013, 08:34 PM
Chris,
You have a real sweet spot for either this contest or for Barbara...hope the wife doesnt find out:biggrin1:

Hey, it was our first GC, and yours too. :becky: Plus, since I am going anyway, 25 teams would be nice.

wjwheeler
09-02-2013, 07:43 PM
I hope to compete with Myron at this event, if scheduling permits. I've never been to CT.

Ackman
09-13-2013, 07:01 AM
Hello Teams,

Update:
As of today I have 25 teams!

I will be out of the office till Monday Sept 24. If you need any info I will be available by email.

Have a Great week, see you on Sept 28.

B
</SPAN>
Barbara J. Neff

JimmyDAL
09-15-2013, 08:44 AM
The Perfect Butt is in

Q Haven
09-15-2013, 04:44 PM
We are in, looking forward to seeing everyone!

QN
09-23-2013, 12:59 PM
Hope to see some old friends and meet some new ones this weekend. I'll be there sometime Saturday afternoon.

CBQ
09-23-2013, 01:04 PM
See everyone this weekend. Weather looking good so far, it just won't seem like New London without a 20mph wind :becky:

gsmith
09-25-2013, 12:45 PM
here's a link from the local paper about the event

http://www.theday.com/article/20130925/ENT02/309259983

wjwheeler
09-25-2013, 05:38 PM
I'll be there with Myron Mixon Smokers.com. I look forward to it!

wjwheeler
09-28-2013, 04:39 PM
What an awesome venue! The weather is great and the view incredible.

Slamdunkpro
09-28-2013, 05:01 PM
What an awesome venue! The weather is great and the view incredible.
Try to hit Paul's Pasta Shop (http://www.paulspastashop.com/) (Across the River in Groton) before you all leave.

rookiedad
09-29-2013, 06:13 PM
anyone got results?

Slamdunkpro
09-29-2013, 06:21 PM
Overall:
1. ZBQ - 685.6456
2. STUBBORN BULL BBQ - 671.3484
3. SMOKIN HOGGZ BBQ - MA - 667.2916
4. MYRON MIXON SMOKERS .COM - 665.6460
5. Q HAVEN - 665.1548
6. RED NECK CAVIAR - 662.2632
7. TWO LITTLE PIGS BBQ EAST - 644.4572
8. Circle of Friends - 642.7084
9. 4 SMOKING GUYS - 638.8460
10. Performance Enhancing Pork - 636.5604
11. MILLER'S BACKYARD BBQ - 635.2800
12. DR. BUTTS BBQ - 633.5312
13. CHEFFIE EFFIE BBQ - 630.2172
14. The Four Drummies BBQ - 629.0512
15. THE PERFECT BUTT - 624.9832
16. Florida Skin and Bones - 624.4688
17. DECKLE Q - 622.7196
18. Big Rock BBQ - 618.2400
19. ACK-QUE - 618.1484
20. NL Fire - 616.6288
21. BIG HASE BBQ - 608.4800
22. NORTHERN BBQ BOYS - 606.1604
23. Smokin' Cattle Dog BBQ - 585.1312
24. TRIALS AND RIBULATIONS - 578.7884
25. THE GREAT HAMBINO - 485.6572
26. Danger Men Cooking - 450.3200
Chicken:
1. SMOKIN HOGGZ BBQ - MA - 177.7144
2. RED NECK CAVIAR - 175.4400
3. Q HAVEN - 171.4172
4. MYRON MIXON SMOKERS .COM - 170.8228
5. TWO LITTLE PIGS BBQ EAST - 169.6800
6. ZBQ - 168.5140
7. DR. BUTTS BBQ - 165.6684
8. The Four Drummies BBQ - 165.1084
9. Circle of Friends - 162.8340
10. Performance Enhancing Pork - 162.8000
11. NL Fire - 162.2856
12. THE PERFECT BUTT - 161.6800
13. STUBBORN BULL BBQ - 161.0856
14. 4 SMOKING GUYS - 159.4628
15. ACK-QUE - 159.3944
16. MILLER'S BACKYARD BBQ - 157.6800
17. Smokin' Cattle Dog BBQ - 156.0572
18. NORTHERN BBQ BOYS - 155.9656
19. DECKLE Q - 151.9084
20. CHEFFIE EFFIE BBQ - 150.8344
21. Florida Skin and Bones - 150.2056
22. Big Rock BBQ - 146.8688
23. TRIALS AND RIBULATIONS - 140.5484
24. BIG HASE BBQ - 139.3712
25. THE GREAT HAMBINO - 20.0000
Ribs:
1. ACK-QUE - 172.5484
2. ZBQ - 171.9772
3. Big Rock BBQ - 170.3200
4. DECKLE Q - 169.1084
5. RED NECK CAVIAR - 168.0116
6. Q HAVEN - 167.4172
7. CHEFFIE EFFIE BBQ - 165.1772
8. Circle of Friends - 165.1312
9. Florida Skin and Bones - 164.0116
10. STUBBORN BULL BBQ - 164.0000
11. TWO LITTLE PIGS BBQ EAST - 163.4288
12. BIG HASE BBQ - 162.2744
13. NL Fire - 160.5828
14. MILLER'S BACKYARD BBQ - 159.4056
15. THE PERFECT BUTT - 157.6572
16. THE GREAT HAMBINO - 155.4400
17. NORTHERN BBQ BOYS - 154.8232
18. 4 SMOKING GUYS - 154.2972
19. Performance Enhancing Pork - 153.7372
20. DR. BUTTS BBQ - 153.6800
21. MYRON MIXON SMOKERS .COM - 150.2288
22. SMOKIN HOGGZ BBQ - MA - 150.1828
23. TRIALS AND RIBULATIONS - 141.1316
24. Danger Men Cooking - 139.4056
25. The Four Drummies BBQ - 128.5488
26. Smokin' Cattle Dog BBQ - 126.2856
Pork:
1. ZBQ - 174.2972
2. STUBBORN BULL BBQ - 171.4056
3. TWO LITTLE PIGS BBQ EAST - 170.2628
4. SMOKIN HOGGZ BBQ - MA - 169.1200
5. MYRON MIXON SMOKERS .COM - 166.8800
6. RED NECK CAVIAR - 164.5600
7. MILLER'S BACKYARD BBQ - 163.3944
8. DECKLE Q - 162.8456
9. Florida Skin and Bones - 162.2628
10. 4 SMOKING GUYS - 161.6916
11. The Four Drummies BBQ - 161.6912
12. Q HAVEN - 158.8916
13. NORTHERN BBQ BOYS - 158.3200
14. THE PERFECT BUTT - 157.6572
15. Danger Men Cooking - 157.1428
16. Performance Enhancing Pork - 156.5372
17. Big Rock BBQ - 156.5256
18. BIG HASE BBQ - 156.0000
19. THE GREAT HAMBINO - 155.9772
20. ACK-QUE - 154.8228
21. Circle of Friends - 154.2172
22. CHEFFIE EFFIE BBQ - 153.6112
23. TRIALS AND RIBULATIONS - 150.2856
24. DR. BUTTS BBQ - 146.8000
25. Smokin' Cattle Dog BBQ - 146.2512
26. NL Fire - 141.7488
Brisket:
1. MYRON MIXON SMOKERS .COM - 177.7144
2. STUBBORN BULL BBQ - 174.8572
3. The Four Drummies BBQ - 173.7028
4. ZBQ - 170.8572
5. SMOKIN HOGGZ BBQ - MA - 170.2744
6. Q HAVEN - 167.4288
7. DR. BUTTS BBQ - 167.3828
8. Performance Enhancing Pork - 163.4860
9. 4 SMOKING GUYS - 163.3944
10. CHEFFIE EFFIE BBQ - 160.5944
11. Circle of Friends - 160.5260
12. Smokin' Cattle Dog BBQ - 156.5372
13. MILLER'S BACKYARD BBQ - 154.8000
14. RED NECK CAVIAR - 154.2516
15. THE GREAT HAMBINO - 154.2400
16. Danger Men Cooking - 153.7716
17. NL Fire - 152.0116
18. BIG HASE BBQ - 150.8344
19. Florida Skin and Bones - 147.9888
20. THE PERFECT BUTT - 147.9888
21. TRIALS AND RIBULATIONS - 146.8228
22. Big Rock BBQ - 144.5256
23. TWO LITTLE PIGS BBQ EAST - 141.0856
24. DECKLE Q - 138.8572
25. NORTHERN BBQ BOYS - 137.0516
26. ACK-QUE - 131.3828

CBQ
09-29-2013, 08:59 PM
Last week in Harvard we missed our brisket turn in, and got a DAL instead of the more likely RGC. (Only needed a 162 on the brisket for 2nd place.)

This week, due to some miss-communication, we missed something else. It's a good thing that KCBS isn't one of those "must be present to win" events. :becky:

(Ya, we won the contest and missed the awards ceremony. :oops:)

Was fun, and by far the best weather we have ever had for this contest. It was spectacular. Being on the water, it's either breathtaking or nasty, I guess.

Congrats to everyone that got a call - not that I would know. :becky:

Stubborn Bull and Smokin' Hoggz helped ZBQ show Myron Mixon that yankees can indeed make BBQ. (Actually Myron's line of smokers is made in CT, which is why he was there. I think they sold a few cookers too.)

Goddahavit
09-30-2013, 05:25 AM
i see the 25th team, in chicken is that some kind of dq? will this contest count as a qualifier?

Q Haven
09-30-2013, 07:06 AM
25 teams got scores for chicken so it should be fine.

wjwheeler
09-30-2013, 11:59 AM
Congratulations ZBQ. If we had to miss the Grand, I'm glad that a Jacks Old South cooking school graduate Granded.
Congratulations to all that got a call.
It was a great event. I look forward to next year.
Support a local Connecticut company and buy a Myron Mixon Smoker!

CBQ
09-30-2013, 12:11 PM
25 teams got scores for chicken so it should be fine.

Yes, they got a 20, which is still a score. Sent the paperwork to the Royal already, so let's see.

There were 26 teams, and you see 25 on the chicken list. One team got a 0, which I assume doesn't count, but the 20 does. I have no idea how you get a 0, as a late turn in is 20. (Know this firsthand :becky:) Maybe they didn't have chicken at meat inspection and told the rep they weren't cooking the category at all? Can't imagine what else it would be.

Punishing a GC winner because another team got a DQ would not be fair, and I don't think it works that way.

Dan - 3eyzbbq
09-30-2013, 12:45 PM
Congrats to all that walked. Especially Ack-Que with that big rib call :)

Guando
09-30-2013, 01:01 PM
Congrats ZBQ on the GC! Way to represent New England!

QN
09-30-2013, 01:39 PM
Yes, they got a 20, which is still a score. Sent the paperwork to the Royal already, so let's see.

There were 26 teams, and you see 25 on the chicken list. One team got a 0, which I assume doesn't count, but the 20 does. I have no idea how you get a 0, as a late turn in is 20. (Know this firsthand :becky:) Maybe they didn't have chicken at meat inspection and told the rep they weren't cooking the category at all? Can't imagine what else it would be.

Punishing a GC winner because another team got a DQ would not be fair, and I don't think it works that way.

You are correct. Only 25 teams turned in chicken. For some reason, one team did not turn in chicken at all so they got 0's in all criteia. It was not a DQ. It was a no entry at all. They told the reps they were not going to enter chicken. :confused: