PDA

View Full Version : wGrill is ready. wireless thermoter with WIFI,

woodpelletsmoker
04-21-2013, 05:33 AM
http://allchinas.com/wgrill/wgrill.jpg
http://allchinas.com/wgrill/wgrill1.jpg
http://allchinas.com/wgrill/wgrill8.jpg
wGrill:Thermometer with WIFI for BBQ, view by iPhone, iPad, Notebook,and PC.

#1:dual probes, shown alternatively Probe #1 and #2,
#2:Optional shown in F or C.
#3:Low and High temperature alarm beep, and beep enable/disable button for neighbor friendly
#4:with built-in Li battery recharging circuit. Battery is not included.
#5:AC/DC adapter is included
#6:manual http://allchinas.com/wgrill/wgrill-manual.doc
#7:Price $78, free mail.

woodpelletsmoker
04-21-2013, 05:52 AM
$58 offer is good for:
Amigatec,
arne,
bcbbq
Big Ace
ChrisH
criffaaa1,
DanReSQman,
daveinwestmont,
deepsouth
Don Marco,
Freddy j,
gigantor,
Gore
Hedgeley,
HolySmoke
JOMANCHU
Midnight Smoke
Mornin' Wood
opp493
pixcolor
Pole D,
rcbaughn,
Ron_L,
Scottacious
Sherifftruman,
tcoop4899
Toronto
Triple T BBQ

woodpelletsmoker
04-21-2013, 05:55 AM
2. For all of my old customers of DOG, WOLF, TIGER, LION, FOX, RHINO,ELEPHANT, if you post detailed reviews of these controller(s) in other BBQ forums including Q-talk, you will get a FREE wGrill. You need only to pay shipping cost of $20. Review shall include when you buy it, how many times you used it, pros and cons, and must include photographies of the controller, your pit and your smoked food.

3. Five ID's here have win total free wGrill and free shipping, who posted detailed reviews with photographies here.

4.For other new buyers of wGrill, if you post reviews in Q-talk and other BBQ forums with stories and photographies, I will refund you $39. If you post IP address of wGrill for 4 weeks, visitors can check it online via Internet, I will refund you $58.

5. BBQ-Brethren.com is so helpful, I am planning to donate a few pieces to this great site. total free. Dear web master please contact me when wGrill is ready if have interest in it.

6.I want to donate some pieces to BBQ competitions also, but has no idea yet. Any suggestion please.

woodpelletsmoker
04-21-2013, 05:58 AM
If you are from Uk, Australia and USA, you can buy from eBay http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140959937534#ht_866wt_692
Please click Buy-It button and wait for my revised invocie before payment.
There are special mailing service for Uk, Australia and USA, which usually take 1 to 2 weeks

For buyers from other countries, please place order by payment directly via paypal. and shipment will be SAl, which will take 3 to 5 weeks

woodpelletsmoker
04-21-2013, 06:45 AM
There are 5 ID's posting reviews in depth about my controllers/burners.
Please contact me for free wGrill.

pixcolor
04-21-2013, 10:59 AM
Ordered. I am anxious to see the final product, but the pictures look real nice. I like the plugs you are using. It would be nice if you used the same case for all the units, dog, wolf, etc. with the same plugs on all of them. And once you have done this, don't change it every time you make more, or make a new one.

Ron_L
04-21-2013, 11:16 AM

#1:dual probes, shown alternatively Probe #1 and #2,
#2:Optional shown in F or C.
#3:Low and High temperature alarm beep, and beep enable/disable button for neighbor friendly
#4:with built-in Li battery recharging circuit. Battery is not included.
#5:AC/DC adapter is included
#6:manual http://allchinas.com/wgrill/wgrill-manual.doc

Looks good! Can it be equipped with two food probes instead of one pit probe and one food probe?

Also, do you think I could run two of those on the same network? Is the IP address configurable? How about the Wifi parameters (SSID, WEP, etc.)

colonel00
04-21-2013, 11:35 AM
Looks good! Your post about the 5 ID's is blank.

In regards to the specs, how much power does it need? I ask because I might be interested in running it off of the same battery I run my two Tiger units off of. Can you explain a little more about the Li battery recharging circuit? I am assuming that you can connect a battery while this is plugged in with the adapter to allow for use and charging at the same time?

Edit: Nevermind. I see in the manual that it requires 9V and you say only two types of batteries are allowed.

woodpelletsmoker
04-21-2013, 11:39 AM
yes I can send 2 meat probes.
One computer can link to one wGrill.
If there are a few wGrills at same place when competiting, you can simply give different name to each wGrill.
Regarding access wGrill to Internet, it is up to each buyer. We do not offer any support.
But we guarantee direct talk between wGrill and Computer. No setting is needed.

woodpelletsmoker
04-21-2013, 11:45 AM
wGrill uses different voltage as Tiger.
When you use re-chargable battery, you must need a charger.
wGrill just ingrates charger into its ciucuit board.
You do not need separate charger.
iGrill and wGrill are really battery eaters.
2 batteries can power the wGrill for 3 hours.
With built-in charger, you just plug AC/DC adapter, it will power the wGrill and at the same time charge the batteries. If any AC power offer, the battery will be used as backup for 3 hours.

Ron_L
04-21-2013, 11:52 AM
If there are a few wGrills at same place when competiting, you can simply give different name to each wGrill.
Regarding access wGrill to Internet, it is up to each buyer. We do not offer any support.

OK... Just to make sure that I understand...

1. The IP address is fixed?
2. Is the Wifi ad hoc mode only? No configuration of SSID? Wep?

I want to put it on my wireless network so I can access the WGrill and the internat at the same time. Ad hoc mode would mean that my computer (or iPhone or iPad) wouldn't be able to be on the internet at the same time.

Amigatec
04-21-2013, 04:34 PM
I just bought mine, I'll wait for the invoice to pay.

I also would like 2 meat probes.

Teamfour
04-21-2013, 04:47 PM
Now that is a great looking unit! Congrats on the major step-up on your product line. Is there a trick to getting on the $58 list?

Toronto
04-21-2013, 07:47 PM
2. For all of my old customers of DOG, WOLF, TIGER, LION, FOX, RHINO,ELEPHANT, if you post detailed reviews of these controller(s) in other BBQ forums including Q-talk, you will get a FREE wGrill. You need only to pay shipping cost of $20. Review shall include when you buy it, how many times you used it, pros and cons, and must include photographies of the controller, your pit and your smoked food.

Do I qualify for this?

woodpelletsmoker
04-21-2013, 08:05 PM
IP address can be changed by user.
Wifi has SSID Wep
yes you can talk to wGrill and also access Internet at same

Toronto
04-21-2013, 09:38 PM
Now that is a great looking unit! Congrats on the major step-up on your product line. Is there a trick to getting on the $58 list?

That list was formed from the original wGrill thread, people who posted in it and showed interest in the unit made the list.

woodpelletsmoker
04-22-2013, 12:15 PM
Can anyone post a photo of iGrill and Maverick ET732 probe
wGrill probe is armoured with braided SS and silicone.
wGrill probe has 3 wires.

Usually cheap probe has 2 wires and without armoured silicone.
I simply do not know iGrill and Maverick ET732

Will work for bbq
04-22-2013, 03:14 PM
That list was formed from the original wGrill thread, people who posted in it and showed interest in the unit made the list.

Dang it, I always miss-out on all the cool promo deals.

Wood I'd like to order one with the standard 2 probes plus one extra meat probe for more flexibility, how can I do that when checking out at the e-bay link?

Amigatec
04-22-2013, 04:37 PM
OK here are both probes, the meat probe and the pit probe

woodpelletsmoker
04-22-2013, 08:10 PM
That probe is 2 wires.
Seems no silicone armoured. am I right

woodpelletsmoker
04-22-2013, 09:06 PM
I understand some of you are waiting for feedback by first buyers.
The promotional price of $58 is for the first buyers.
$58 offer will be ended May 15th. I expect feedback ready by then

daveinwestmont
04-22-2013, 09:15 PM
Wang - can you confirm that this is the battery needed for the unit?
http://www.batteryjunction.com/14500.html

I'm assuming we need two of these batteries.

woodpelletsmoker
04-23-2013, 12:47 AM
Wang - can you confirm that this is the battery needed for the unit?

I'm assuming we need two of these batteries.

Yes it is. You need 2 pieces.
You do not need charger.

Is it made in China or made in States.
In China many batteries is smaller than claimed capacity
I use Japanese battery

Amigatec
04-23-2013, 04:42 AM
If you change the network setting, do they change back, or are they stored in memory?

Amigatec
04-23-2013, 04:43 AM
That probe is 2 wires.
Seems no silicone armoured. am I right

I don't think they are, the probes can't handle a lot of heat.

woodpelletsmoker
04-23-2013, 05:46 AM
If you change the network setting, do they change back, or are they stored in memory?

stored in memory.
but can do default setting at any time

Toronto
04-23-2013, 12:02 PM
The Maverick probes are designed to fail after a few uses(3-5 approximetely), I assume this is the manufacturers way of to ensure on-going profits. I have had no experience with the iGrill so I cant comment on the quality of their probes.

Your probes are a lot thicker and more heavily shielded.

Will work for bbq
04-23-2013, 01:56 PM
I bought one last night, can't wait to try it out. :becky:

Mark Warren
04-23-2013, 02:13 PM

I am assuming anything with a browser can view this, any WiFi enabled smartphone any tablet any operating system.

Am I correct?

Toronto
04-23-2013, 04:00 PM
I am assuming the same thing, any browser thats capable of accepting ip addresses should work, the major browsers will probably all be supported.

woodpelletsmoker
04-23-2013, 06:01 PM
I am assuming the same thing, any browser thats capable of accepting ip addresses should work, the major browsers will probably all be supported.

YES. IE Chrome Firefox and more

woodpelletsmoker
04-23-2013, 06:02 PM
I am assuming anything with a browser can view this, any WiFi enabled smartphone any tablet any operating system.

Am I correct?

you are right

stl-rich
04-23-2013, 06:47 PM
Is there any real difference between the meat probe and the grill probe or can they be used interchangeably?

Toronto
04-23-2013, 06:56 PM
They can be used interchangably. Besides the size and shape there is no difference between the two.

woodpelletsmoker
04-23-2013, 07:03 PM
Is there any real difference between the meat probe and the grill probe or can they be used interchangeably?
They are interchangeable.
Pit probe is 50mm long, or about 2"
Meat probe is 150mm long, or 6", with a sharp point

woodpelletsmoker
04-23-2013, 07:06 PM
ATTENTION PLEASE: American, Australia, and UK Buyers.

Please place order via eBay link given above.
There is special mailing service for the 3 countries, which usually takes 1 to 2 weeks.
This special mailing service is good only for eBay transaction.

Buyers from all other countries can make payment directly via paypal.
But Mailing is SAL, which usually takes 3 to 5 week

woodpelletsmoker
04-23-2013, 07:07 PM
They can be used interchangably. Besides the size and shape there is no difference between the two.

had upgraded

Toronto
04-23-2013, 07:08 PM
had upgraded

What was upgraded?

I assume these are the default settings?

address:192.168.10.10
Password:1234567890123

Amigatec
04-23-2013, 07:31 PM

There is special mailing service for the 3 countries, which usually takes 1 to 2 weeks.

I think I ordered directly from eBay and not the link provided. Do I still get the special shipping?

Amigatec
04-23-2013, 07:34 PM
stored in memory.
but can do default setting at any time

Good I use different settings.

I plan to post a reply showing how to connect it to the Internet. I already have 2 servers that are connected, and working fine. I already have the changes made on my end, just waiting for the wgrill to arrive.

I will post the URL to the wGrill when I get it.

woodpelletsmoker
04-23-2013, 07:55 PM
I think I ordered directly from eBay and not the link provided. Do I still get the special shipping?

You did right way

Mark Warren
04-23-2013, 07:59 PM

woodpelletsmoker;

I am not sure how fast you can make these (I am talking about if thousands were ordered at once) but have you ever thought about putting them up as a Kickstarter Project?
http://www.kickstarter.com/

Kickstarter is a community driven medium for small businesses and inventors and artists to showcase to the world what they have. It works like this;

You make a short Video demonstrating your product, attach it to a goal - lets say you want to raise $20,000 dollars to have enough to lower the production cost.

Now people that watch your intro video and like it decide they want one. You have an special Kickstarter price - lets say it is the same price as you have for us here now the $78 and tell them that after the project is over future sales of the item will be 20% more.

Now if enough people click to back the project (pre-order one at the $78 price) to meet your goal, your project will be funded and everyone at that time will have their credit card charged and you get the money. You will send out surveys to each person getting their mailing address and when you have them built you ship them out.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jakehimself/the-10-year-hoodie-built-for-life-backed-for-a-dec

This is a link to a project I just got in on, there goal was to raise $50,000 and they raised over a Million. I am one of the 9,226 people that pre-ordered one of these hoodies. Did I do it because I thought it was a good deal? Hell NO, they are expensive. I did it because I believe in a few of the ideals it represents - I quality product built to last - putting people back to work in tough times - American Made (no offence here I just want to create jobs back in the states it doesn't mean I don't buy whatever I am searching for wherever it is made).

Am I thinking you will be another Million dollar project? No you item is ment for a specific audience. However I do believe this item selling at $78 on Kickstarter can break the $20,000 goal line in the 30 day time frame.

I hope you will look into it as I hope my Brethren here also check out the Kickstarter community in their spare time to see what project people are trying to get off the ground without the help or hindrance of the Big Banks.

I want to add one thing -> when and if you make this into a Kickstarter Project; Don't just show it as a BBQ only item but show how versatile it can be in the Kitchen Oven - You will open this up as gift's from Men to there wives all across this entire planet. Then you may have a Million Dollar Project on your hands. Trust me I know this community and they will eat up any tech they can give to their spouse that she will actually love.

Thanks for reading this.

Amigatec
04-24-2013, 01:44 AM
The wGrill could also be used in the oven, like when you are roasting a Turkey for Thanksgiving, or anything else that takes several hours, meatloaf, pot roast etc.

woodpelletsmoker
04-24-2013, 01:51 AM
How many you brethren ever hear "Kickstarter Project". If none knows it, how can it work. I did not know it before anyway.

Normal price of wGrill is $58+20=$78.
If you buy 10 pieces, total price is $580.
If you are an active BBQ man in your area or BBQ competition, you can resell to others at $78. Is this offe appealing
Same offer is for DOG package, retail price of DOG, 10 CFM fan, AC/DC adapter, Fan adapter A or C, $99. If you buy 10 pieces, total price is $580, you can resell at $99.

woodpelletsmoker
04-24-2013, 02:01 AM
The wGrill could also be used in the oven, like when you are roasting a Turkey for Thanksgiving, or anything else that takes several hours, meatloaf, pot roast etc.
wGrill can be used for beer brewing.
wGrill can also be used for your home, warehouse, greenhouse when your are on vocation far away. If temp at these places is away from normal range, it tells you something must be wrong.
wGrill can be upgraded to measure water content of soil and humidity of air at small extra cost. Question is demand.

Amigatec
04-24-2013, 02:54 AM
I currently use the Growtronix system to run mine. I can control it over the Internet. It is very versatile, but it can be pricey. This is one of the 2 Internet accessible system I run on my home network.

It can be difficult to setup, I have people email me and ask how I set mine up to work over the Internet.

http://growtronix.com/store/

Toronto
04-24-2013, 04:15 AM
How many you brethren ever hear "Kickstarter Project". If none knows it, how can it work. I did not know it before anyway.

Normal price of wGrill is $58+20=$78.
If you buy 10 pieces, total price is $580.
If you are an active BBQ man in your area or BBQ competition, you can resell to others at $78. Is this offe appealing
Same offer is for DOG package, retail price of DOG, 10 CFM fan, AC/DC adapter, Fan adapter A or C, $99. If you buy 10 pieces, total price is $580, you can resell at $99.

Ive backed a documentary on Kickstarter before. Its an option if you want to launch something to gauge interest and receive initial funding.

You must meet certain criteria in order to quality for a Kickstarter campaign, im not sure what they are but I do know they do not allow everyone to have one.

Teamfour
04-24-2013, 06:22 AM
Kickstarter is worth looking into.

woodpelletsmoker
04-24-2013, 06:34 AM
Ive backed a documentary on Kickstarter before. Its an option if you want to launch something to gauge interest and receive initial funding.

You must meet certain criteria in order to quality for a Kickstarter campaign, im not sure what they are but I do know they do not allow everyone to have one.

Interesting to hear. I never heared Kickstarter before in China.

I am a chinese in Beijing,China.
Frankly I can hardly understand this site fully, nothing to say I can manage a project by my self. It is beyond my ability.
Would someone here like to work with me as a partner.
Say my DOG package, normal price at $99. if you can sell $5800 in 30 days, my kickstarter price would be $58. As a partner, I will pay you $1000 for every $5800 order. Competitors of DOG package is Auber, Nano, IQ110. Their prcie is $130+. and technically DOG is the best too.
If it works, we can do wGrill same way too.

woodpelletsmoker
04-24-2013, 07:39 AM
I find a thermometer link http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/robocat/thermodo-the-tiny-thermometer-for-mobile-devices?ref=live
8,776 backers,
$336,018
pledged of $35,000 goal

wGrill shall have much more practical usage than a toy.

Mark Warren
04-24-2013, 09:33 AM
29 Kickstarter Projects from the City of Beijing,China.

http://www.kickstarter.com/discover/cities/beijing-chn

I would see if one of the project there would partner with you - They setup the project and you do your thing and hopefully you both get rich.

It's what I would look into.

Mark Warren
04-24-2013, 10:35 AM
It looks like I found something similar to what you have on Kickstarter already

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1480486408/icelsius-wireless-the-ultimate-sensor-monitoring-s?ref=category

Their Goal is set to $100,000 so I assume they don't have them made already like you do - if your Goal was not set that high but more like $20,000 I think it will work at that level if you do a good video.

Toronto
04-24-2013, 12:19 PM
Interesting to hear. I never heared Kickstarter before in China.

I am a chinese in Beijing,China.
Frankly I can hardly understand this site fully, nothing to say I can manage a project by my self. It is beyond my ability.
Would someone here like to work with me as a partner.
Say my DOG package, normal price at $99. if you can sell $5800 in 30 days, my kickstarter price would be $58. As a partner, I will pay you $1000 for every $5800 order. Competitors of DOG package is Auber, Nano, IQ110. Their prcie is $130+. and technically DOG is the best too.
If it works, we can do wGrill same way too.

If it is something you are interested in I would suggest finding a team that can do professional quality video/pictures. You will notice on Kickstarter the successful campaigns all have excellent introductory videos explaining the idea and how you can contribute.

Kickstarter was designed for inventors/creative people to connect directly with their audience and request funding to get an idea off the ground. Your Dog and wGrill have already been created so I dont think they would qualify for a Kickstarter campaign but a new product or idea probably would.

Mark Warren
04-24-2013, 12:26 PM
Your Dog and wGrill have already been created so I dont think they would qualify for a Kickstarter campaign but a new product or idea probably would.

Many Kickstarter Project are complete fully working models that the individual cannot afford to manufacture unless they get a minimum of so many thousand units made. So their goal is solely based on a minimum quantity the Manufacturer has set them to. I think he can get away with it.

It is certainly worth a try to group with someone from his own area that has already gone through the process and see if they can swing it.

deepsouth
04-24-2013, 12:39 PM
regarding kickstarter, i have backed a music project on there.

also, i just placed my order over ebay. i did not notate it on the particular transaction, but i would like two meat probes rather than one and one.

thanks!

Redleg71
04-24-2013, 01:11 PM
Did I miss something... What is the DOG package?

Toronto
04-24-2013, 01:22 PM
Did I miss something... What is the DOG package?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Programmable-Digital-Temperature-Controller-for-Wood-Charcoal-Smoker-Grills-BBQ-/140937774925?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item20d08bc74d

Amigatec
04-24-2013, 04:29 PM
When will it ship?

Amigatec
04-25-2013, 05:57 AM
What the advantage of the 3 wire over the 2 wire probe?

woodpelletsmoker
04-25-2013, 07:58 AM
What the advantage of the 3 wire over the 2 wire probe?
more accurate.

woodpelletsmoker
04-26-2013, 08:13 AM
Someone in other site says that he trusts iGrill than wGrill.
For your information iGrill is MADE in CHINA too.
here is the link of iGrill OEM factory in China http://detail.china.alibaba.com/offer/1143999119.html?spm=b26110380.2192293.5782105.69

VA-Dave
04-26-2013, 08:31 AM
Wood,

Just my own personal curiosity, but are you using an FPGA or a DSP for your algorithm?

Dave

Hedgeley
04-27-2013, 07:00 PM
Wood,

Just my own personal curiosity, but are you using an FPGA or a DSP for your algorithm?

Dave

Say WHAT?

Hey WoodPelletSmoker - do you consider Canada part of the USA for shipping? I'm kinda hoping so.... Would like to know please
Thanks

VA-Dave
04-27-2013, 07:12 PM
Say WHAT?

Hey WoodPelletSmoker - do you consider Canada part of the USA for shipping? I'm kinda hoping so.... Would like to know please
Thanks

Your post title is "Techno Geek Question" and you give me a thumbs down for asking a legitimate question.

Shipping must be a real challenge where you live.

Maybe you should consult some experts on shipping?

Canada is pretty hard to ship to. You know, with the lack of coast's and all.

Dave

woodpelletsmoker
04-27-2013, 07:13 PM
Say WHAT?

Thanks
The special shipping services are reached by China post Group with American, Australia and UK post systems. This special mail is only for eBay transaction and parcel weight under 2kg. Canada post does not have such cooperation with China Post Group.
Normally I send air and land mail(SAL), which takes 3 to 5 weeks, and can not be tracked on line.
This special service takes 1 to 2 weeks and can be tracked online.

VA-Dave
04-27-2013, 07:33 PM
Woodpelletsmoker,

You still haven't answered my question.

Dave

woodpelletsmoker
04-27-2013, 07:46 PM
Woodpelletsmoker,

You still haven't answered my question.

Dave
I am a small home based business, and I can not afford to any development in north American.

Mark Warren
04-27-2013, 07:48 PM
Wood,

Dave

I am a small home based business, and I can not afford to any development in north American.

Just trying to bring the world together.

VA-Dave
04-27-2013, 07:58 PM
I thought WPS was the designer of this controller, obviously, I was mistaken.

Not to say it's inferior, but I thought he would be a direct contact.

Dave

landarc
04-27-2013, 08:05 PM
Perhaps if you explained what your motives are in asking such a technical question, he would respond, currently, it seems like you are just trying to disparage his product and work.

I very much doubt that anyone who is selling these computerized units are the pure designers of the units, instead, I would bet they are repackaging products and components to suit our specific needs.

VA-Dave
04-27-2013, 08:34 PM
Perhaps if you explained what your motives are in asking such a technical question, he would respond, currently, it seems like you are just trying to disparage his product and work.

I very much doubt that anyone who is selling these computerized units are the pure designers of the units, instead, I would bet they are repackaging products and components to suit our specific needs.

I'm sorry you feel that way Bob. My curiosity was genuine. I know what IC's are typically used for these circuits and I thought WPS had an intimate knowledge of their uses.

My intent was not to disparage anyone from purchasing this item, WPS seems to stand behind his product and I thought that maybe we had something in common.

Dave

woodpelletsmoker
04-27-2013, 08:39 PM
If it were my hobby I would be more than happy to discuss any technical in deep.
But it is my rice bowl, I will answer all questions about performance and operation

Hedgeley
04-27-2013, 08:39 PM
[QUOTE=VA-Dave;2462473]Your post title is "Techno Geek Question" and you give me a thumbs down for asking a legitimate question.

Look. bud. I apologize for the thumbs down. I also apologize if you miscontrued the sarcasm, but most of us don't have a clue what the heck you were talking about. I guess you were trying to find out some technical info that interested you.

Most of us are just trying not to poison our guests with undercooked meat.

Perhaps your question would have been best served with a PM.:confused:

VA-Dave
04-27-2013, 08:42 PM
If it were my hobby I would be more than happy to discuss any technical in deep.
But it is my rice bowl, I will answer all questions about performance and operation

It's what I do for a living, but I would love to take it offline and compare notes my friend.

Dave

landarc
04-27-2013, 08:43 PM
Dave, it seemed like you were challenging him, and I do not want to think the worst of anyone. Clearly, it was a question he didn't want to answer. Early on when WPS first came here, it seemed there was a lot of resistance to his product, was hoping we weren't going down that road again.

I am sorry for the offense. Now what I want to be known for.

VA-Dave
04-27-2013, 08:54 PM
Dave, it seemed like you were challenging him, and I do not want to think the worst of anyone. Clearly, it was a question he didn't want to answer. Early on when WPS first came here, it seemed there was a lot of resistance to his product, was hoping we weren't going down that road again.

I am sorry for the offense. Now what I want to be known for.

Bob - You're a straight shooter and I admire that, and respect your opinion. I wasn't here early on for WPS's product.

I am a geek though, and was hoping to have some dialogue with him.

No harm, no foul sir.

Dave

woodpelletsmoker
04-30-2013, 07:51 PM
Youtube is blocked in China, I can not upload video to it.
If you buy a wGrill, if you upload a 5+ minutes video of review to youtube, and post on 3 famous BBQ forums, I will refund you. I need 10+ videos. First come first win. This offer will keep good till cancelation

NVNJ
05-03-2013, 12:07 PM
Sorry if I'm a little late to the party but I would like to get in on this for the $58. How do I go about this and where do I pay?

woodpelletsmoker
05-03-2013, 07:48 PM
Sorry if I'm a little late to the party but I would like to get in on this for the $58. How do I go about this and where do I pay?

No $58 any more.
Normal price is $78.
I would like to get feedbacks from $58 before I start to sell $78

daveinwestmont
05-04-2013, 08:57 AM
Wang - I received my Wgrill yesterday. It arrived perfectly wrapped and undamaged, thanks!!

I noticed in the instructions you stressed an unprotected li-ion 14500 battery. I've read a tremendous amount about the li-ion batteries and have a question. Will a protected battery work? There seems to be a fair amount of talk about managing li-ion batteries and the risk for gassing and fire if the batteries aren't properly managed during the charging process. Does your circuitry manage this and will it manage with a protected battery cell.

Additioanally it appears that the protected batteries are more readily available.

woodpelletsmoker
05-04-2013, 09:09 AM
WOW you are No.1
There is built-in charging circuit inside the wGrill.
The battery is protected by wGrill.
You can not make the battery double protected if you buy protected battery.

daveinwestmont
05-04-2013, 09:24 AM
WOW you are No.1
There is built-in charging circuit inside the wGrill.
The battery is protected by wGrill.
You can not make the battery double protected if you buy protected battery.

But is a protected battery accepable??

woodpelletsmoker
05-04-2013, 10:00 AM
But is a protected battery accepable??
no, you must use a bare battery

woodpelletsmoker
05-04-2013, 10:00 AM
you can use ac/dc adapter only

deepsouth
05-04-2013, 10:05 AM
i'll put this link on this page in case people missed it on the first. i just received four batteries from these guys. very fast shipping.

Toronto
05-04-2013, 10:52 AM
The "protection" that Wang keeps mentioning is often refereed to as a BMS or Battery Management System. What it is essentially is a chip that controls the amount of electric each battery is storing, this is to ensure even discharge/recharge of the battery which results in a longer battery life.

If I am following correctly, Wang has built a BMS into the wGrill so one is not needed on the battery itself. Having two BMS's will be detrimental to your battery since you cannot have two things managing it at the same time without adverse effects.

Think of it like an orchestra with two conductors, it just doesnt work.

Toronto
05-04-2013, 11:12 AM
Just a thought for Version 2, most cooks usually take between 4, 8 and 12 hours. When in battery mode only can you add a delay that will allow the battery last for 4 or 8 or 12 hours?

Have the wGrill only send info every 5 minutes(more or less) to ensure the battery last for the entire cook. I think you mentioned earlier in the thread two fully charged batteries will only last for 3 hours since the wGrill is a high drain unit.

woodpelletsmoker
05-04-2013, 03:41 PM
The "protection" that Wang keeps mentioning is often refereed to as a BMS or Battery Management System. What it is essentially is a chip that controls the amount of electric each battery is storing, this is to ensure even discharge/recharge of the battery which results in a longer battery life.

If I am following correctly, Wang has built a BMS into the wGrill so one is not needed on the battery itself. Having two BMS's will be detrimental to your battery since you cannot have two things managing it at the same time without adverse effects.

Think of it like an orchestra with two conductors, it just doesnt work.
yes you are right

woodpelletsmoker
05-04-2013, 03:42 PM
Just a thought for Version 2, most cooks usually take between 4, 8 and 12 hours. When in battery mode only can you add a delay that will allow the battery last for 4 or 8 or 12 hours?

Have the wGrill only send info every 5 minutes(more or less) to ensure the battery last for the entire cook. I think you mentioned earlier in the thread two fully charged batteries will only last for 3 hours since the wGrill is a high drain unit.

You can program the time interval to send signal.
Default is 3 seconds

Toronto
05-04-2013, 05:07 PM
You can program the time interval to send signal.
Default is 3 seconds

TT=0 is defaulted to 3 seconds

So, each unit is equal to 3 seconds?

i.e. 10 = 30 second delay?

woodpelletsmoker
05-04-2013, 05:27 PM
There are two probes and one showing window.
the Window shows temperature of probe #1 for TT second and then probe #2 another TT seconds.

Parameter UT is time interval to send signal

Toronto
05-04-2013, 08:49 PM
I see, I didnt see any UT in the manual you have up, only TT.

I think ill understand it better once ive had a chance to play around with it, I hope I can get it before Mothers day to try out.

woodpelletsmoker
05-04-2013, 10:12 PM
I see, I didnt see any UT in the manual you have up, only TT.

I think ill understand it better once ive had a chance to play around with it, I hope I can get it before Mothers day to try out.

Sorry all Canadian buyers will receive much later, hopefully later of May.

Amigatec
05-05-2013, 05:53 AM
Mine arrived yesterday as well, but I haven't made down to the PO to pick it up yet. I'll do that today.

woodpelletsmoker
05-06-2013, 01:08 AM
How many of you monitor by smart phone
and how many of you monitor by PC or a laptop

I am thinking next generation of wGrill, the zGrill
I am thinking to use ZIGBEE, a really battery saver.

Amigatec
05-06-2013, 03:14 AM
Well the last 2 times I used my iGrill, I used the same batteries. The last cook was over 10 hours, and I didn't have any issues with it. Next time I use it I will using my iPad to monitor it. I've been using my iPod.

I also plan to do a side by side test with the iGrill and wGrill

Amigatec
05-06-2013, 03:15 AM
Well the last 2 times I used my iGrill, I used the same batteries. The last cook was over 10 hours, and I didn't have any issues with it. Next time I use it I will using my iPad to monitor it. I've been using my iPod.

I also plan to do a side by side test with the iGrill and wGrill

Jake the SSnake
05-06-2013, 09:20 AM
No $58 any more.
Normal price is $78.
I would like to get feedbacks from $58 before I start to sell $78I see they are at $98 +$20 shipping on Ebay right now. Is that the new price? I had just talked myself into one, but thats a big jump.

woodpelletsmoker
05-06-2013, 10:15 AM
I see they are at $98 +$20 shipping on Ebay right now. Is that the new price? I had just talked myself into one, but thats a big jump.

The only reason is that I do not want to sell wGrill now but still keep the eBay listing alive for next generation.

I am going to upgrade it to ZIGBEE instead of WIFI.

Jake the SSnake
05-06-2013, 10:26 AM
The only reason is that I do not want to sell wGrill now but still keep the eBay listing alive for next generation.

What is ZIGBEE?

Jake the SSnake
05-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Never mind, i googled it. I hope this doesnt complicate things or require any additional hardware/different routers?

woodpelletsmoker
05-06-2013, 10:39 AM
By two common batteries Zigbee can let you smoke 10 +times and each time lasts 10+ hours. But you need a small kit which is $20. Also Zigbee has long distance

Will work for bbq
05-06-2013, 04:15 PM
Just received mine today and so far I like what I see looks to be well made the thermo leads look very durable not only does it have braided steel cover but it is also coated. My Guru leads are just braided w/o any other coating which worries me sometimes when I clean them up.

Now for the technically challenged part. I can not for the life of me access the Wgrill. The link light is on steady red, when I look at the settings on my iPhone it sees Wgrill when I connect to it the red light goes out. I've tried entering the IP address into my browsers and just can't connect to it. :confused:

Toronto
05-06-2013, 06:40 PM
Just received mine today and so far I like what I see looks to be well made the thermo leads look very durable not only does it have braided steel cover but it is also coated. My Guru leads are just braided w/o any other coating which worries me sometimes when I clean them up.

Now for the technically challenged part. I can not for the life of me access the Wgrill. The link light is on steady red, when I look at the settings on my iPhone it sees Wgrill when I connect to it the red light goes out. I've tried entering the IP address into my browsers and just can't connect to it. :confused:

I assume you are using Safari?

Have you tried to access the wGrill with another device?

With the info you provided it seems that you were able to see the wGrill and connect to it but not access it.

Teamfour
05-06-2013, 06:49 PM

That is not a good business model and does not instill confidence on prospective customers.

Ron_L
05-06-2013, 07:01 PM

Did I just read that right? Several of us have bought wGrill and before we even receive them you're not going to make them any more?

woodpelletsmoker
05-06-2013, 07:25 PM
Ok if you guys like, I can keep WIFI and Zigbee together.
next production of wGrill with WIFI will be ready in 4 weeks
and zGrill with Zigbee will be developed in 8 to 12 weeks.

Amigatec
05-06-2013, 07:58 PM

I am having almost the same problem. I can connect it in adhoc mode most of the time, but I can not get it to connect in infra mode. I have tried just about everything I can to get to connect, but nothing.

woodpelletsmoker
05-06-2013, 08:25 PM
To access a WIFI equipment to Internet via a router needs IT knowledge.
the controller LION has given me a big lesson. There are several discussions on the posts of LION about accessing WIFI equipment to Internet.
Still some successed. Other failed.
It is really up to each user.

But at least wGrill can be monitored from smart phone and computer as iGrill.
and WIFI has long distance than bluetooth.
wGrill can be monitored by most operating sytem
iGrill for iPhone can not work with android.

woodpelletsmoker
05-06-2013, 09:02 PM
to avoid confusion as with LION, I tried not to say anything about accessing wGrill to Internet via a Router. It is a hiden and added feature for smart user.

I do promise WIFI and to be viewed by smart phone laptop PC.

moontz
05-06-2013, 09:36 PM
@woodpellet - any interest in integrating w/ the pit pal android app? would be quick for us to do if you are interested.

brian

Ron_L
05-06-2013, 10:04 PM

Amigatec and WWFB are not talking about accessing it from the internet. They are trying to use infrastructure mode to put it onto their own Wifi network. This is not accessing it from the internet.

I asked about this earlier in the thread and you told me that all of the setting were available. If the SSID and WEP can be configured and either the IP address can be set statically or the device supports DHCP, this should be no problem. It took me less than 5 minutes to set up my CyberQ Wifi for my home network. The ability to do this is the main reason I decided to buy the wGrill. Ad hoc mode is useless since it requires my iPhone or iPad to be on a dedicated network with the wGrill.

Looks good! Can it be equipped with two food probes instead of one pit probe and one food probe?

Also, do you think I could run two of those on the same network? Is the IP address configurable? How about the Wifi parameters (SSID, WEP, etc.)

OK... Just to make sure that I understand...

1. The IP address is fixed?
2. Is the Wifi ad hoc mode only? No configuration of SSID? Wep?

I want to put it on my wireless network so I can access the WGrill and the internat at the same time. Ad hoc mode would mean that my computer (or iPhone or iPad) wouldn't be able to be on the internet at the same time.

IP address can be changed by user.
Wifi has SSID Wep
yes you can talk to wGrill and also access Internet at same

the controller LION has given me a big lesson. There are several discussions on the posts of LION about accessing WIFI equipment to Internet.
Still some successed. Other failed.
It is really up to each user.

But at least wGrill can be monitored from smart phone and computer as iGrill.
and WIFI has long distance than bluetooth.
wGrill can be monitored by most operating sytem
iGrill for iPhone can not work with android.

woodpelletsmoker
05-06-2013, 11:07 PM
Obviously this v1 needs upgraded to V2 for advanced users.
I accept return and refund. I will pay shipping cost

daveinwestmont
05-06-2013, 11:07 PM
I played with the Wgrill yesterday and was able to pull it up on my windows vista laptop and my itouch- the screen is to small so not very useful. I tested it outside while I monitored it inside. Just used the ambiant temp outside to see how the two probes monitored the outside weather. They were within 1 degree of each other or the same. Range was OK but will try to mess with the placement as it was behind a brick wall and I didn't get a full 3 bars from the signal. I'm cooking tomorrow night and will give some additional insight.

woodpelletsmoker
05-07-2013, 12:02 AM
1.at least WIFI has longer distance than bluetooth
2."the screen is to small so not very useful.", can you send me a photography. It is clear enough on my laptop
3.I will develop zGrill, then Zigbee will have much long distance

woodpelletsmoker
05-07-2013, 12:08 AM
two probes can be calbrated by parameter pb1 and pb2

woodpelletsmoker
05-07-2013, 12:33 AM
http://allchinas.com/wgrill/screen.jpg
size of screen on my notebook 14"

woodpelletsmoker
05-07-2013, 12:34 AM
http://allchinas.com/wgrill/adhoc.jpg
http://allchinas.com/wgrill/adhoc.jpg

woodpelletsmoker
05-07-2013, 12:35 AM
http://allchinas.com/wgrill/infra.jpg
http://allchinas.com/wgrill/infra.jpg

Amigatec
05-07-2013, 02:44 AM

How do I send it back?

Amigatec
05-07-2013, 02:48 AM
size of screen on my notebook 14"

I get this screen, I can access it at 192.168.10.10 only. When I change to infrastructure mode, and change the IP address, the link light will come on go out and it just beeps. It has never connected to my WIFI network.

Amigatec
05-07-2013, 04:38 AM
Also is DHCP for adhoc mode, or for infrastructure mode?

If its for infrastructure mode how do you find which IP address wgrill is using?

Here is what I have tried.

I switch to infra mode and change the IP address, net mask, gateway, and DNS to match my network.

I use WEP64 on my network and I add the key, I have tried WEP128 and tried your key as well. It also appears the wGrill is set for WEP128, because the key is 13 numbers in length. WEP64 uses 5 to 10.

I have tried changing the SSID to match my network. I have tried it with no SSID.

I tried changing the SSID on my network.

It also appears the DHCP in wGrill is assigning addresses when in infra mode as well, but its not using the address info I added.

When in adhoc mode it may or may not connect to my iPad or my Mac Mini. It has never connect to my wireless access point. The infra mode just doesn't work.

My othe wifi devices connect to my network fine.

Also when it does connect the link light goes out, and it does not assign any DHCP info.

Will work for bbq
05-07-2013, 11:08 AM
I assume you are using Safari?
Have you tried to access the wGrill with another device?
With the info you provided it seems that you were able to see the wGrill and connect to it but not access it.

Yes thanks, I was using Safari and Chrome at work. I was finally able to link with it at home both on my iPhone and my laptop but it was hit or miss with the connection.

I am having almost the same problem. I can connect it in adhoc mode most of the time, but I can not get it to connect in infra mode. I have tried just about everything I can to get to connect, but nothing.

Same here.

Amigatec and WWFB are not talking about accessing it from the internet. They are trying to use infrastructure mode to put it onto their own Wifi network. This is not accessing it from the internet.

That's correct Ron, in adhoc mode I have to disconnect if I want to surf the web. Also it would be awesome if it could be accessed on the internet, one of the things that I hoped I could do is monitor my beer fermentation temperatures from work.

@woodpellet - any interest in integrating w/ the pit pal android app? would be quick for us to do if you are interested.
brian

That would be awesome, the display on my iPhone is too small to really be useful it's not scaled down and you have to zoom and move the display around to make changes to settings. For that reason I don't think you can really compare it to iGrill, yes it is great on the PC. If I can figure out infra mode maybe I can get it to work with my Kindle.

to avoid confusion as with LION, I tried not to say anything about accessing wGrill to Internet via a Router. It is a hiden and added feature for smart user.
I do promise WIFI and to be viewed by smart phone laptop PC.

While I wouldn't consider myself a smart user I'm capable of figuring stuff out with some direction.

Ron_L
05-07-2013, 11:51 AM
Also is DHCP for adhoc mode, or for infrastructure mode?

If its for infrastructure mode how do you find which IP address wgrill is using?

Here is what I have tried.

I switch to infra mode and change the IP address, net mask, gateway, and DNS to match my network.

I use WEP64 on my network and I add the key, I have tried WEP128 and tried your key as well. It also appears the wGrill is set for WEP128, because the key is 13 numbers in length. WEP64 uses 5 to 10.

I have tried changing the SSID to match my network. I have tried it with no SSID.

I tried changing the SSID on my network.

It also appears the DHCP in wGrill is assigning addresses when in infra mode as well, but its not using the address info I added.

When in adhoc mode it may or may not connect to my iPad or my Mac Mini. It has never connect to my wireless access point. The infra mode just doesn't work.

My othe wifi devices connect to my network fine.

Also when it does connect the link light goes out, and it does not assign any DHCP info.

I don't have mine yet, so I haven't had a chance to play with it, but in looking at the screens that Wang posted, you should just enable Infrastructure mode, enter the SSID for you home network, enter the WEP key (assuming that your network supports 64 or 128 bit WEP and and ascii passkey, which is not always the case.) and the wGrill should join your network. This info is case sensitive.

Let's assume that this works. Next is the IP Address side of things. If DHCP Enable is checked any information entered in the boxes below that will be ignored and the wGrill will pick up the IP address info from your router. You should be able to determine the IP address that was assigned from your router's web UI.

If DHCP Enable is not checked then the device should use the information entered in the boxes below, and is those match your home network you should be able to reach the wGrill at the specified IP address.

If you've done all of this and the wGrill doesn't join your network and either pick up an address or use the assigned address, then there is a problem with the device.

Ron_L
05-07-2013, 11:52 AM
That's correct Ron, in adhoc mode I have to disconnect if I want to surf the web. Also it would be awesome if it could be accessed on the internet, one of the things that I hoped I could do is monitor my beer fermentation temperatures from work.

Once the device is on your home network and reachable there making it accessible from the internet is possible. All of that configuration does not involve the wGrill and is done on your router. The specifics os that config depends on the router brand and model.

deepsouth
05-07-2013, 01:12 PM
worst case scenairo on this for me is, i can't get any of that internet connectivity ish to work, but i'll still have a nice two probe thermometer, which i don't have now.

Amigatec
05-07-2013, 05:40 PM
The problem I was having was after changing the settings, it still wouldn't connect.

I'll try it again, I'm not a computer novice, but I believe the devise is defective.

Amigatec
05-07-2013, 07:19 PM
I have tried at again, and all I'm getting is the beep light stays lit, and the link light will stay lit for maybe. 30 sec, it then will beep, go out, come back on blink for a few seconds, light up. And repeats this process.

It never connects so the DHCP server never assigns any numbers to it. And nothing shows up in the router logs.

In adhoc it works fine.

I might add that I do not have batteries in the unit, I am running it off the power supply. I don't think that would affect it.

daveinwestmont
05-07-2013, 11:51 PM
1.at least WIFI has longer distance than bluetooth
2."the screen is to small so not very useful.", can you send me a photography. It is clear enough on my laptop
3.I will develop zGrill, then Zigbee will have much long distance

The screen on my Itouch is small and isn't very usefull.

woodpelletsmoker
05-08-2013, 12:49 AM
Dear all buyers,
I tested wGrill on my notebook, not on smart phone.
I did not realize size of graphing.
I will send you V2 in a few weeks.

Amigatec
05-08-2013, 07:08 PM
Here is a list of possible upgrades you might consider for future versions of WGrill.

1. Add a CAT5 port, there are several things this would be useful for. Easy configuration. In my case my smoker is close enough I can run CAT5 to it.
2. Upgrade via flash ROM, or by replacing a chip on the board. If CAT5 was included, it would make flashing the ROM easy.
3. Ability to export the graph data. IGrill does this in either PDF or CSV format.
4. Add email support. So you can get alerts when events happen. IGrill uses the mail app to do this,a program like sendemail would work fine. http://caspian.dotconf.net/menu/Software/SendEmail/
5. Preset temperatures. IGrill has this. They use presets for beef, pork, chicken, then use rare, medium, well, etc.
6. Settings for high and low temperature range. IGrill has this.
7. Maybe a hook to hang the wGrill from. IGrill has this.

As far as the WIFI settings,

1. Ability to change from WEP64 to WEP128, or turn it off. This will make it easier to test.
2. Maybe a way to use DHCP with manual IP address setting. OSX has this, and it works fine.
3. Maybe a way to interface this with your Lion controller, something as simple as a short data cable. Then the option in the network settings to switch this on.
4. Upgrade to 802.11n for better range.

I may be able to come up with so more later. As far as the rest, the probes are of much better quality than iGrill, and the case is much better looking.

deepsouth
05-10-2013, 09:16 AM
i got my wgrill this morning.

i'm at the office and not at home with my pc, but i went ahead and plugged in the wgrill and installed the batteries to be charging.

my iphone immediately found it and i used the '1234567890123' password and then went to 192.168.10.10 and BOOM... there is the graph and the two temp gauges at the bottom!!!!!

i was worried i wouldn't be able to read it remotely, but it worked out the box.

deepsouth
05-10-2013, 09:50 AM
one thing i've noticed is a slight hiss coming from the unit when plugged in.

edit: i unplugged it for about a half hour and plugged it back in and no hiss.

Ron_L
05-12-2013, 11:08 AM
i got my wgrill this morning.

i'm at the office and not at home with my pc, but i went ahead and plugged in the wgrill and installed the batteries to be charging.

my iphone immediately found it and i used the '1234567890123' password and then went to 192.168.10.10 and BOOM... there is the graph and the two temp gauges at the bottom!!!!!

i was worried i wouldn't be able to read it remotely, but it worked out the box.

Yeah... That seems to work fine. Where folks are having problems is getting the unit onto an existing network.

Mine arrived during the week while I was out of town. I'm debating not even opening the box if a new version is coming out soon.

deepsouth
05-12-2013, 11:24 AM
Yeah... That seems to work fine. Where folks are having problems is getting the unit onto an existing network.

Mine arrived during the week while I was out of town. I'm debating not even opening the box if a new version is coming out soon.

i'm not real crafty like that anymore.

if v2 is much better, i'll probably give this to my dad (he doesn't even use a computer, so this would be perfect for him) and check out v2, although i'd still likely not connect it to my pc, opting for my phone which i have on me all the time or the ipad, which is usually just laying around unused.

Will work for bbq
05-13-2013, 10:55 AM
If anybody bought these batteries http://www.batteryjunction.com/14500.html check to make sure they are unprotected. I recieved mine on friday and it states on the battery that is has a protection circuit. Battery Junction confirmed this morning that the website is wrong.

woodpelletsmoker
05-13-2013, 11:02 AM
V2 will add build-in clock, and the graphing can be stored on your computer.

deepsouth
05-13-2013, 12:13 PM
If anybody bought these batteries http://www.batteryjunction.com/14500.html check to make sure they are unprotected. I recieved mine on friday and it states on the battery that is has a protection circuit. Battery Junction confirmed this morning that the website is wrong.

thanks for the heads up. i have them on the phone now.

pixcolor
05-13-2013, 02:27 PM
Has anyone in Western Canada received their order yet?

Pole D
05-13-2013, 02:35 PM
Since I haven't received mine I am hoping I'll be getting a v2. Strange that v2 would be developed before v1 was even sent out.

woodpelletsmoker
05-13-2013, 07:14 PM
Since I haven't received mine I am hoping I'll be getting a v2. Strange that v2 would be developed before v1 was even sent out.
V2 is expected to be ready in 8 weeks

Ron_L
05-13-2013, 08:24 PM
Do you have a list of the changes for V2?

daveinwestmont
05-13-2013, 08:30 PM

Thanks - I was going to order them for myself and Capt. Ron - I haven't gotten around to it yet. Does anyone have a source for the correct batteries???

deepsouth
05-13-2013, 08:46 PM
when i spoke to the battery junction people today, the lady advised me that they were uncertain if the description was incorrect or the picture was incorrect.

she said that the indented part on the battery would indicate that it would seem to be protected. the batteries i have have that indention. i'm sending my batteries back tomorrow.

*disclaimer: i know nothing about batteries.

Will work for bbq
05-14-2013, 10:31 AM
Thanks - I was going to order them for myself and Capt. Ron - I haven't gotten around to it yet. Does anyone have a source for the correct batteries???

These are the replacement batteries that they are sending me. http://www.batteryjunction.com/li14reaasi38.html

deepsouth
05-14-2013, 10:40 AM
These are the replacement batteries that they are sending me. http://www.batteryjunction.com/li14reaasi38.html

doesn't the top of that battery look the same as the other one?

i'm a bit confused as yesterday, i asked about which one would be proper and they didn't seem to know. ugh.

Will work for bbq
05-14-2013, 11:01 AM
doesn't the top of that battery look the same as the other one?

i'm a bit confused as yesterday, i asked about which one would be proper and they didn't seem to know. ugh.

I probably know less about batteries than you do but the guy I spoke with yesterday had to check with a supervisor and this is what he said was un-protected. Once I get them I'll post pictures of the actual battery

Ron_L
05-14-2013, 11:03 AM
Has anyone been able to get the wGrill to work on an existing wireless network yet?

Will work for bbq
05-14-2013, 11:08 AM
Has anyone been able to get the wGrill to work on an existing wireless network yet?

I tried but both my routers have wep modes but want HEX passwords and the Wgrill is ASCII so I gave up for now.

Toronto
05-14-2013, 03:03 PM
Has anyone in Western Canada received their order yet?

Im in Toronto and I got my notice from Canada Post on Monday, I still havent picked it up yet though.

pixcolor
05-14-2013, 10:37 PM
Im in Toronto and I got my notice from Canada Post on Monday, I still havent picked it up yet though.

Thanks for the reply. I guess mine shouldn't be too much longer.

Pole D
05-15-2013, 08:34 AM
I received mine two days ago but haven't had a chance to play around with it.

deepsouth
05-15-2013, 08:54 AM
so, where are you guys finding proper batteries for this?

can regular AA batteries work?

woodpelletsmoker
05-15-2013, 06:24 PM
regular AA batteries DO NOT NOT NOT work

daveinwestmont
05-16-2013, 09:45 PM
I probably know less about batteries than you do but the guy I spoke with yesterday had to check with a supervisor and this is what he said was un-protected. Once I get them I'll post pictures of the actual battery

Let me know how they work..

Will work for bbq
05-17-2013, 12:32 PM
Will do. Expected delivery for the batteries is Monday.

pixcolor
05-17-2013, 06:35 PM
Can it be used without batteries?

woodpelletsmoker
05-17-2013, 07:11 PM
Can it be used without batteries?
yes. AC/DC adapter works and is included

pixcolor
05-18-2013, 09:04 AM
It arrived. When I plugged it in all I got was an alarm. The battery light was on, so I assumed it was because there was no battery. However, by twisting the plugs where the probes plug in, I was able to stop the alarm, at least for a while, and get a reading on the display, until something moved again. Is it worthwhile for me to open it up and have a look?

Hedgeley
05-18-2013, 09:22 AM
It arrived. When I plugged it in all I got was an alarm. The battery light was on, so I assumed it was because there was no battery. However, by twisting the plugs where the probes plug in, I was able to stop the alarm, at least for a while, and get a reading on the display, until something moved again. Is it worthwhile for me to open it up and have a look?

Same thing happened to me. I tightened the connectors and the connections. Then I unplugged the AC/DC adaptor for about a minute, plugged it back in, and all was well.

woodpelletsmoker
05-18-2013, 09:30 AM
You need to push probe connector to full position.
the lesson is that I must change to a BIGGER connector of probe in next production

pixcolor
05-18-2013, 04:15 PM
I pushed and squeezed and got it to work for a few seconds while I held it. Otherwise not at all. What's the lesson for me?

Will work for bbq
05-18-2013, 04:25 PM
My Tenergy batteries came today there is still a slight ridge on the battery but no mention of protection on the battery itself. Now for the bad, the battery on the plus side doesn't protrude out like a AA battery so when I install it into the Wgrill the battery doesn't make contact :mmph:

woodpelletsmoker
05-18-2013, 08:21 PM
My Tenergy batteries came today there is still a slight ridge on the battery but no mention of protection on the battery itself. Now for the bad, the battery on the plus side doesn't protrude out like a AA battery so when I install it into the Wgrill the battery doesn't make contact :mmph:

you can insert a small coin on it

woodpelletsmoker
05-18-2013, 08:22 PM
must be bad soldering on the connector, please open and check it.
In next production, I will change to a new connector

pixcolor
05-18-2013, 08:44 PM
must be bad soldering on the connector, please open and check it.
In next production, I will change to a new connector
I will see what I can do. I was able to remove three of the four screws, still working on the fourth. Looks like it's been in and out a few times, as though someone already tried to fix it.

pixcolor
05-18-2013, 10:23 PM
The problem is with both probes. Would a bad solder connection on one cause that?

woodpelletsmoker
05-19-2013, 12:23 AM
I mean bad soldering on probe connectors. You need only to check the probe side, not the wGrill itsself

pixcolor
05-20-2013, 10:31 AM
I mean bad soldering on probe connectors. You need only to check the probe side, not the wGrill itsself

Looks like you might be right. I opened up the plug, heated up the solder, and tried it. It seemed to work better, until I close up the plug again and it stops. I will next try a different plug.

pixcolor
05-20-2013, 10:20 PM
I put new plugs on and got it working, but then decided to have a look at the settings. Don't know if I changed anything, but now alll I get is ---1 as temp readings. Did I change something?

woodpelletsmoker
05-20-2013, 11:49 PM
please reset to default

pixcolor
05-20-2013, 11:50 PM
please reset to default

How?

pixcolor
05-21-2013, 10:05 AM
Left it off over night and when I turn it on it seems OK, for about 10 minutes, then it stops again. I think I'm ready to give up.

Ron_L
05-21-2013, 10:55 AM

Please let me know how I can return the wGrill units that I purchased for a refund.

My application is to connect these to my Wifi network and you assured me that this would be possible. The details of that conversation are here...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2472873&postcount=112

I have tried three different wifi routers (2Wire, Linksys and Dlink) and none of them support an ascii password for the WEP key and the wGrill does not support an open network (no security). So, it will not work on my wifi network, even if I added a second access point just for the wGrill. At least one other user has seen the same thing.

In addition, there seems to be issues with the availability of the batteries in the US. Even though the unit will run without batteries, if it requires batteries that we can't find, you may as well leave that capability off

One note for future versions... The cord on the wall adapter is way too short. It should be twice as long.

Hedgeley
05-21-2013, 11:21 AM
please reset to default

How?

refer to "manual" (such that it is)

Reset to Default

1, Turn off the power. No battery is inside
2, Press button of“<”and HOLD
3, Turn on the power, it will show“1” “2” “3”,then release button of“<“
4, Back to default

in case you haven't seen it here's the link

http://allchinas.com/wgrill/wgrill-manual.doc

Guess we're all beta testers.
Anyway, if it doesn't work as expected, you should return it.
BUT.... I really don't know if woodpelletsmoker understands the potential of this device. BBQ is one app, but think about those of you who go away for a bit and would like to monitor Temperatures of stuff on the internet. Like those of us in the Great White North who go away and hope that our furnace doesn't fail, and if it does, would like an alarm to alert us before the water pipes burst, and destroy our home.
This could be big business. I don't have the money, but I'd back it if I could. Perhaps Woodpelletsmoker could instead of selling these things to the bbq guys would say "hey - for $100 you get a unit to test and a piece of the action"

Just a thought.
Hedge

btw WPS - the manual is woefully inadequate for a potential retail customer. I'm guessing you're an engineer. You need someone to test this and write one for you.

Good luck.

pixcolor
05-21-2013, 01:04 PM
Reset and same thing. O.K for about 10 minutes then no temperature reading.

woodpelletsmoker
05-21-2013, 06:23 PM
we are working hard on V2.
Old buyer can either return and ask for refund
or wait for wGrill V2
V2 will add built-in clock, graphing up to 20 hours, and plug&play connecting to Internet.

Ron_L
05-21-2013, 06:37 PM
or wait for wGrill V2
V2 will add built-in clock, graphing up to 20 hours, and plug&play connecting to Internet.

What does plug and play connection to the internet mean? Right now V1 won't connect to an existing Wifi network. That's what most of us care about. If I can get it to connect to my wifi network I'm happy. I can get it onto the internet if I really want to.

In order to connect it to my home network without me having to add a second access point V2 would have to support WPA-PSK (TKIP) or WPA2-PSK (AES). I can add a second access point (but would prefer not to) but then V2 would have to support an open network (no encryption) or WEP 64 or 128 with a hex password.

Here is what the CyberQ Wifi supports.

WEP - Wired Equivalent Privacy. Supposed to give roughly the same level of security as a wired network. This was the original
security setting on wireless networks. In the CyberQ Wifi it must be a value containing the characters 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F
(hexadecimal value). WEP 40 requires 10 Characters, WEP104 requires 26 characters.
WPA - Wi-Fi Protected Access. Provides better encryption than WEP and also has user authentication.
WPA2 - a more secure version of WPA which provides "government grade" security. There are two versions of WPA2 - Personal &
Enterprise.
WPA AUTO – Automatically selects a WPA or WPA2 network
WPA or WPA2 PASS – Uses a pass phrase instead of hex values.
OPEN – No Encryption pass required.

The CyberQ Wifi works just fine on my network.

Toronto
05-21-2013, 06:43 PM
What does plug and play connection to the internet mean? Right now V1 won't connect to an existing Wifi network. That's what most of us care about. If I can get it to connect to my wifi network I'm happy. I can get it onto the internet if I really want to.

In order to connect it to my home network without me having to add a second access point V2 would have to support WPA-PSK (TKIP) or WPA2-PSK (AES). I can add a second access point (but would prefer not to) but then V2 would have to support an open network (no encryption) or WEP 64 or 128 with a hex password.

Here is what the CyberQ Wifi supports.

WEP - Wired Equivalent Privacy. Supposed to give roughly the same level of security as a wired network. This was the original
security setting on wireless networks. In the CyberQ Wifi it must be a value containing the characters 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F
(hexadecimal value). WEP 40 requires 10 Characters, WEP104 requires 26 characters.
WPA - Wi-Fi Protected Access. Provides better encryption than WEP and also has user authentication.
WPA2 - a more secure version of WPA which provides "government grade" security. There are two versions of WPA2 - Personal &
Enterprise.

The CyberQ Wifi works just fine on my network.

Based on his earlier post about V2 it should be based in ZIGBEE.

The ZIGBEE site has an FAQ that may be of use to you: http://www.zigbee.org/Specifications/ZigBee/FAQ.aspx (http://www.zigbee.org/Specifications/ZigBeeIP/FAQ.aspx)

Ron_L
05-21-2013, 06:48 PM
Based on his earlier post about V2 it should be based in ZIGBEE.

The ZIGBEE site has an FAQ that may be of use to you: http://www.zigbee.org/Specifications/ZigBee/FAQ.aspx (http://www.zigbee.org/Specifications/ZigBeeIP/FAQ.aspx)

And then a few posts later he said he would retain wifi.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2472681&postcount=107

Zigbee is absolutely worthless to me. There isn't a single device in my house that supports Zigbee, so I would require an external adapter for my laptop, iPhone and iPad.

If V2 only supports Zigbee then I want to return what I have for a refund. I may want to do that anyway, but Zigbee only support is a killer.

woodpelletsmoker
05-21-2013, 07:29 PM
I have given up Zigbee

pixcolor
05-21-2013, 11:33 PM
or wait for wGrill V2

I guess I'm a sucker for punishment, so I will wait for V2. Can you do something where we have the option of seeing large numbers instead of the dial?

pixcolor
05-21-2013, 11:43 PM
Will we still use the same batteries on V2?

woodpelletsmoker
05-21-2013, 11:46 PM
1.will use standard mobile phone battery.
question: which is most popular in north American
2.will use big numbers than dials

woodpelletsmoker
05-22-2013, 06:52 PM
I feel very sad and sorry that the designer of wGrill and all other controllers died suddenly on April 30. He was just in his late 30's. wish he is well with the God. All softwares have gone with him. wGrill just has a small bug and can not be fixed right now.
I am working hard to find new designers.
Please give me 4 to 12 weeks.

Ron_L
05-22-2013, 07:26 PM
I feel very sad and sorry that the designer of wGrill and all other controllers died suddenly on April 30. He was just in his late 30's. wish he is well with the God. All softwares have gone with him. wGrill just has a small bug and can not be fixed right now.

I'm very sorry to hear that and we will all keep him and his family in our thoughts.

Thanks for letting us know and good luck in your search for a new designer.

Mark R
05-23-2013, 07:38 PM
Really? This is May 22nd, you were promising design changes on May 21st - yesterday. The designer died April 30?

woodpelletsmoker
05-23-2013, 09:27 PM
Really? This is May 22nd, you were promising design changes on May 21st - yesterday. The designer died April 30?

Did you buy wGrill, I can refund you now.

woodpelletsmoker
05-23-2013, 09:37 PM
Every business can sucess if right people can be found.
Many engineers are good at WIFI.
Many other engineers are good at automation, especially in thermostat/thermometer.
But fewer engineers are both good at WIFI and Thermostat.
and Much less engineers are both good at WIFI and Thermostat while charging affordable price.
If I can find the later, I will continue my business and I will success. If not, I will fail and disappear.
Right now two different teams are doing design. Both promise to be ready in 8 to 12 weeks.
Hope I do not need to try 3rd or 4th team after1 2 weeks.

pixcolor
05-23-2013, 10:32 PM

I have dealt with trustedinventor enough to know that he is completely honest and if he says he needs 12 weeks then we will just have to wait. And I'm sure it will be well worth the wait.

Mark R
05-24-2013, 01:22 PM
Did you buy wGrill, I can refund you now.
No, but I was watching to see how it went before making a purchase. I already have one of your V1 models (Golden Lion), which I guess I am stuck with now. I would still like to have a WIFI working version of that.
Sorry if I sound skeptical, but I am.

I wash you luck with your engineer search, that may be a tough combination.

Amigatec
05-24-2013, 06:48 PM
Being involved with Linux for a few years, I can tell you I understand how these projects work. As with Linux you have thousands of people all around the world working on small projects, and somebody, somewhere is in charge of maintaining each project. then another group takes these projects and combines them into a bigger project, and then an even bigger project.

I don't know how Wang's project is setup, but it sounds like one group is working on the WIFI part, and another is working on the Thermometer part, and maybe somebody is working on building the cases. It's just like any project, it's a team effort.

Hedgeley
05-28-2013, 08:02 PM
"Designer died in a plane crash."

Did you buy wGrill, I can refund you now."

Sounds like a hard row to hoe.
I tell you what. I've used the wGrill a couple of times. I (and most of us) knew this was a new venture based on some previous experience. I'm new to the site, but was willing to try the thing.
I think this thing shows some real promise. The probes are accurate, but the connections might need some work. I haven't even got batteries for it yet (btw, did anyone confirm which ones are needed? Last I heard there was an "indent" on the right ones.) Would like to see a better (metal) case with some way to attach it somewhere. I'm in for V2. I'm having more troubles keeping temperature on my smoker than learning to use this thing. But I highly recommend getting a technical writer to write the manual for rest of us (more or less) normal people.
Thanks
Hedge

woodpelletsmoker
05-28-2013, 09:09 PM
On April 28 we had long discussion about upgrading all things, and on April 30 noon, I was told my great designer died at 2:00 in the morning. Wish he is all good with the God.
Now One team works on thermometer and the other team works on thermostat.
If thermostat success, it is very easy to degraded to a thermometer.
hope at least one of them can success
Regarding WIFI connection to internet, I ask new designer to do it as simple as Plug-and-Play, the user needs only input username and password. I am told technically it is possible. Be honest, I am worrying that you guys may have different ways to access to Internet, and whether new design can suit for all users environmental or not.
We will see in 8 to 12 weeks

Ron_L
05-28-2013, 10:03 PM
Regarding WIFI connection to internet, I ask new designer to do it as simple as Plug-and-Play, the user needs only input username and password. I am told technically it is possible. Be honest, I am worrying that you guys may have different ways to access to Internet, and whether new design can suit for all users environmental or not.

I've mentioned this before, both here and in PM. Forget about the Internet. Design the product so it will connect to the most common Wifi access points/routers on the market. AT&T uses a 2Wire Home Gateway and others use Linksys, D-Link and Netgear. There may be others. The thermometer needs to be able to connect to wireless LANs using the most common encryption protocols and with an open network. V1 doesn't do this. Once the unit can connect to these networks then the connection to the internet can be done by anyone familiar with setting up these routers. That part should not be part of your product.

Look at the CyberQ Wifi. It doesn't address connecting to the internet, but many users have done this on their own. The CyberQ Wifi supports the following...

Built in Wifi Web Server allows remote access from your mobile device or PC
2.4 GHz, IEEE Std. 802.11b™, Wi-Fiฎ certified (WFA ID: WFA7150)

and for the wireless security it supports...

Enterprise.

Support the same thing and the product will be able to connect to just about any wireless LAN.

Amigatec
05-29-2013, 06:06 AM
Might I also suggest adding a standard CAT5 port as well. My smoker is close enough I can run cable to it.

Ron_L
05-29-2013, 08:21 AM
Might I also suggest adding a standard CAT5 port as well. My smoker is close enough I can run cable to it.

I have a feeling that you're alone in that request :-D

pixcolor
05-29-2013, 11:41 AM
Has anyone here made changes to the PID settings on the dog or wolf controller to work better on a ceramic grill?

Ron_L
06-18-2013, 10:15 AM
Any update on wGrill version 2?

woodpelletsmoker
06-18-2013, 08:18 PM
prototype is expected earlier August. Commercial model in Sept

Amigatec
06-24-2013, 02:42 AM
What kind of plans do you have for replacing the defective V1 units?

woodpelletsmoker
06-24-2013, 02:49 AM
All old buyers will get a free version #2.

Amigatec
06-24-2013, 12:36 PM

:clap2::grin:

deepsouth
06-24-2013, 01:16 PM

top notch.

daveinwestmont
06-27-2013, 09:09 PM

Really? That is great customer service, I look forward to getting the new v2 when it's ready.

Hedgeley
06-27-2013, 09:16 PM
Looking forward to that. For some reason yesterday I couldn't get mine read. Dunno if it's the contacts or the probes. Oh well. Still happy to be part of the trials and tribulations. It's been a lot of fun. I'll see if I can get it working tomorrow.
You know what they say ..."don't force it, get a bigger hammer"
:becky:

Hedgeley
07-01-2013, 09:24 AM
this thing worked fine til last cook. I have some chicken breasts coming up today. Has anyone had the wGrill work, then stop working? were any of you able to get it up and running again? And how? I'm a little leary of cooking chicken without an internal temp.

Ron_L
07-01-2013, 10:06 AM
I have two of the V1 wGrills and two of my 4 probes failed within 15 minutes of the first use. I hope that V2 includes more reliable probes.

DanReSQman
07-04-2013, 01:32 PM
was really excited about the Wgrill V1, got two, they work very unreliably. I use a stoker wired to a router so if V2 has Cat5 i am SET!

Please advise when V2 is ready so we can begin to check it out. Untill then its more fussing with the V1....

Dan

Amigatec
07-20-2013, 07:13 AM
Any update on ship time yet?

woodpelletsmoker
07-20-2013, 07:43 AM
3 teams are working separately. but hard job. hard to expect

Amigatec
08-07-2013, 02:46 AM
Any progress yet?

woodpelletsmoker
08-07-2013, 06:11 AM
I am unlucky to find same smart engineers
My new engineers tell me that prototype will be ready middle of Sept.
But first they promised earlier August.

Amigatec
09-01-2013, 11:27 AM
Ann word yet?

Amigatec
09-07-2013, 03:23 PM
Do you have any updates yet??

Pole D
09-18-2013, 11:47 AM
Maybe something by Christmas?

woodpelletsmoker
09-19-2013, 10:54 PM
Maybe something by Christmas?

But we are working hardest

Will work for bbq
01-26-2014, 12:11 AM
Just in case anybody missed it, V2 is available now. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180229

woodpelletsmoker
01-27-2014, 08:03 AM
V2 is free for old buyers of V1