PDA

View Full Version : Life expectancey of a contest

mobow
04-18-2013, 09:25 AM
I have been judging for the past 5 years and have noticed that over half of the contest I have judged do not exist anymore. Do others see this in your areas and if so what do you think is the cause of contest giving it up. Keith

Lake Dogs
04-18-2013, 09:31 AM
We have quite a few contests here in this area, and I've seen a large portion of them come and go. They seem to get started with a very zealous organizer who along the way loses the passion for one reason or another. More often than not it ends up being a LOT more effort/work involved than they'd ever imagined. The average of the ones that dont last seems to be 2 years, with a few making it to 3, but most out in 1 or 2 years...

We also see a lot of sanctioning body changes, and more often than not the organizer isn't happy with the results, because the teams the he/she liked the previous year end up not following the new sanctioning body. They "assume" that competitors just compete in whatever is there, not realizing that around here we have TONS and TONS of options, many on the same weekend.

deguerre
04-18-2013, 09:36 AM
What? Georgia hasn't outlawed KCBS events yet?

Vince RnQ
04-18-2013, 09:46 AM
The average of the ones that dont last seems to be 2 years, with a few making it to 3, but most out in 1 or 2 years...

We see the same kind of pattern here.

hogzillas
04-18-2013, 03:57 PM
Mostly I'd say it's nothing more than victims of the economics of today due to less sponsorship money to offset the costs of putting the contest on plus some of what Lake Dogs said. I've seen long time ones fold as well as ones come & go after a year even when there were a large number of teams & good prize money at them.

Stoke&Smoke
04-19-2013, 03:32 PM
Around here a few have come and gone. Many due to the economy, some due to conflicting with other nearby, maybe higher paying events. At least one because the main organizers retired and nobody picked up the ball in the little town that hosted it. The ones that do it right seem to get bigger each year despite the issues. We seem to have more local ones this year than in years past in our area (local being inside 2 or 3 hours drive)