PDA

View Full Version : Then it hit me, I had become a BBQ Snob...

Kave Dweller
04-17-2013, 03:02 PM
So my office just moved 10 miles from the old office and I have found there to be three (count 'em 3) BBQ joints within driving distance for lunch. I have decided to hit all three of them within the next couple of weeks and today was stop number one.

I decided to hit Dickeys. I had never heard of Dickey's in my life, but apperantly its some chain of BBQ joints. WHAT A LET DOWN it was. The pulled pork was yesterdays if not the day before. It was ICE COLD to the point the bbq sauce at room temp was used as a warming agent. No smoke in the meat at all. The brisket was a tad warmer (IE maybe room temp) and also pretty much just flavorless.

As I was walking out depressed to have parted with $13 hard earned dollars that had left my wallet and my mouth unsatisfied, I noticed I had become a bbq snob. 10-15 years ago I would have thought, "its cold but it was still bbq and cold bbq better then now bbq". I tried to think of it that way but I just can't get past what a let down it was. . . .

Arlin_MacRae
04-17-2013, 03:06 PM
Welcome to BBQ Hell, my brother. You're stuck for sure now.
And yeah - Dickey's isn't generally worth half what you paid...

samfsu
04-17-2013, 03:06 PM
I feel your pain. I refuse to eat at any of the local BBQ places because it is inferior to the BBQ that I make. :)

caseydog
04-17-2013, 03:07 PM
Dickey's is pretty common down here. Quality varies from location to location. There is no excuse for cold food at any restaurant, but even warm, Dickey's is chain-store BBQ.

CD

aawa
04-17-2013, 03:14 PM
From the sounds of it, I don't think you are much of a bbq snob when it comes to Dickey's. Sounds like you were just disappointed from you meal because of day old pulled pork and room temperature brisket, both of which didn't have much flavor to it.

Bbq, Italian, Mexican, Thai doesn't matter what cuisine you eat, if you receive day old product which should be served hot and you received it cold. I would be disappointed that I spent $13 on that meal.

P.S. Before I started doing my own bbq, I could tell what was decent bbq was. There are several places around Hampton Roads that range from very bland and boring (This bbq joint was featured on Throwdown with Bobby Flay) to what i thought was very good.

After doing my own bbq I have tried the bbq joints and I still think that some of the places are good authentic bbq, and still some very bland and boring bbq joints. My opinion really hasn't changed much. However I do look for more things such as texture of the meats that I really didn't know much about before. But I don't go out for bbq much anymore because I know I can make something that is just as good if not better myself. It is similar to filipino food, a bunch of filipino restaurants have popped up around here but I don't go out to eat to them very often as I cook the dishes i grew up with. The places I will eat out at are typically places where I am not able to get that cuisine of.

Bludawg
04-17-2013, 03:16 PM
They need to change the name to McDickiey:-D they opened one in Waco a few yrs ago it lasted 3 months and for the record there is only 1 GOOD BBQ place in Waco amid the 10 or so that claim to be BBQ purveyors and their offerings where much better and that aint saying much.

Teamfour
04-17-2013, 03:19 PM
I AM a self-proclaimed BBQ snob. I have been burned so many times by bad BBQ, that it is very hard for me to visit a BBQ joint. If I want Q, I cook Q.

CORNDAWG
04-17-2013, 03:23 PM
I hear ya brother. My wife has become one too. Recently, I brought home a couple brisket dinners and after a few bites, she stopped eating. (I finished hers) But if I go to one more "cook out" we're they boil their ribs before putting them on a gas grill with some cheap BBq sauce, I'm going to hurt somebody.

Lake Dogs
04-17-2013, 03:39 PM
I was proud and humbled a few months back when I too found my wife had become a huge BBQ snob. We were walking downtown when we passed one of the few worth-a-darn BBQ joints 'round here when she proclaimed "I'll never eat there again. Their BBQ tastes like **** compared to yours. I cannot believe I ever recommended that **** to anyone, much less you and your ****ed BBQ friends."

Sad though, because we have so few restaurants 'round here, we now have 1 less...

Ron_L
04-17-2013, 03:43 PM
So my office just moved 10 miles from the old office and I have found there to be three (count 'em 3) BBQ joints within driving distance for lunch. I have decided to hit all three of them within the next couple of weeks and today was stop number one.

I decided to hit Dickeys. I had never heard of Dickey's in my life, but apperantly its some chain of BBQ joints. WHAT A LET DOWN it was. The pulled pork was yesterdays if not the day before. It was ICE COLD to the point the bbq sauce at room temp was used as a warming agent. No smoke in the meat at all. The brisket was a tad warmer (IE maybe room temp) and also pretty much just flavorless.

As I was walking out depressed to have parted with $13 hard earned dollars that had left my wallet and my mouth unsatisfied, I noticed I had become a bbq snob. 10-15 years ago I would have thought, "its cold but it was still bbq and cold bbq better then now bbq". I tried to think of it that way but I just can't get past what a let down it was. . . .

Thanks for saving me a trip to try that Dickey's :) I've been to a couple of Dickey's elsewhere and wasn't impressed.

What else is close by?

Gore
04-17-2013, 04:15 PM
C'mon, you can't classify Dickey's as BBQ. I would never classify Dickey's as BBQ. I'm not even sure I'd classify Dickey's as edible. :tsk: I'd rather eat a McRib.

SmokinJohn
04-17-2013, 04:29 PM
You should have checked out the other discussion forum. Dickey's was given a resounding "Hell NO".

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153151

Should be called Ickey's BBQ

ErikH
04-17-2013, 05:49 PM
Is that the Dickies in Wheaton? One of the other nearby BBQ joints, Austin BBQ, just closed it's doors. I hear the landlord is going to reopen the place under a different name.

silverfinger
04-19-2013, 06:50 PM
My Wife cringes when I see something on any menu that has the three letters BBQ:rolleyes: My first question always is, BBQ? Where's the pit? She will immediately say, DON'T START:tsk: She knows I will ask how its cooked and then order a burger, rare. It's the how's it cooked She has the problem with. Hey, I just want to know before I order. Some of the answers I get are hilarious!:heh: Im still nice about it:noidea: