PDA

View Full Version : Fatboy On A Tailgate???

Q-Dat
04-12-2013, 09:46 AM
To lighten my travel load for comps, I was thinking about just parking my truck in the cook site and cooking in the Fatboy on the tailgate. The only big drawback I can think of is if I had to leave for whatever reason and come back.

Anybody done it this way?

deguerre
04-12-2013, 10:01 AM
That's gonna be pretty heavy with a full load cooking. Sure you want that weight on your tailgate over extended periods of time on a regular basis? Even with the chain supports seems like the hinges would suffer.

Q-Dat
04-12-2013, 11:47 AM
That's gonna be pretty heavy with a full load cooking. Sure you want that weight on your tailgate over extended periods of time on a regular basis? Even with the chain supports seems like the hinges would suffer.

Hmmm good point. The Fatboy empty is 275 lbs if I'm not mistaken. I might do better bringing it to the edge of the bed and letting the tailgate hang.

Hawg Father of Seoul
04-12-2013, 12:16 PM
Takes 7 seconds to remove a tailgate.......

deguerre
04-12-2013, 12:18 PM

Problem solved!

hogzillas
04-12-2013, 04:28 PM

+1 on that but only other things to consider is can you park your truck in your assigned spot or do they make you park elsewhere (varies at contests but most shouldn't be a problem) & is space large enough to contain truck & enough space left over for you to work in???

Muzzlebrake
04-12-2013, 08:39 PM
I don't know what kind of truck you have but I regularly have >300# on my tailgate with no problems.

RangerJ
04-13-2013, 11:06 AM
To lighten my travel load for comps, I was thinking about just parking my truck in the cook site and cooking in the Fatboy on the tailgate. The only big drawback I can think of is if I had to leave for whatever reason and come back.

Anybody done it this way?

Did you ever see the hitch hauler stand I had made for my Party? I'm sure you could create one for a Fatboy as well. Slides into the hitch, legs go up and rides along right behind the truck.

Get to the event, drop the wheels, roll it off and cook. I've even seen guys cook with it on the hitch still. I still work out of and sleep in my truck, this solution worked great last season.

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss352/jurenax4/IMG_00511.jpg (http://s591.photobucket.com/user/jurenax4/media/IMG_00511.jpg.html)

Q-Dat
04-13-2013, 01:00 PM
Cool idea. I wonder though about the visiblity of the license plate. I'm guessing you've never had any problems with "The Fuzz" concerning that.

boondocksmokers
04-13-2013, 05:04 PM
I use a wheelchair carrier with a ramp. But I am about to get someone to build what ranger has. I know a few people who have done what ranger has done and they work great.

RangerJ
04-13-2013, 05:13 PM
Cool idea. I wonder though about the visiblity of the license plate. I'm guessing you've never had any problems with "The Fuzz" concerning that.

No, I looked at a hitch hauler with an ice chest on it, you can't see the plates there either. That being said, a valid concern and when I drove from Houston to St. Charles, MO. I taped the plate on the upper left of the tail gate, lots of states to transverse and I figured better safe than sorry.

polishdon
04-13-2013, 07:21 PM
Hey ranger, do you have more pics of that hauler stand?

RangerJ
04-13-2013, 07:41 PM
I do, email me at jurena175 at gmail dot com and I'll send you a bunch of them.