PDA

View Full Version : one have time to try one BBQ joint in Chicago where would you go?

$billBBQ
04-11-2013, 04:17 PM
So I have to travel on business to Chicago next week and I would love to try a true Chicago Ribs is Twin Anchors the best place or where else should I go?

Thanks for the help

marubozo
04-11-2013, 04:18 PM
I'd look at Smoque (http://smoquebbq.com/).

BB-Kuhn
04-11-2013, 04:45 PM
Chicago Q.

Lee Ann Whippen's joint. The place is cool, the service is amazing and the food is ridiculous. Smoque seems to have great brisket and all, but I had almost everything at Chicago Q and it's quite delicious.

Probably can't go wrong either way, but Chicago Q gets my vote by a country mile.

Stoke&Smoke
04-11-2013, 04:57 PM
If you have time, go have a beer at publican and try the pork rinds

Trumpstylz
04-11-2013, 05:01 PM
Definitely Smoque. Chicago Q, Fat Willy's, and twin anchors are also good though, but smoque is the best. Brisket, pulled pork and Mac N cheese at Smoque. Ribs at Anchor, bbq shrimp or pulled pork at chicago q.

Big star was recently named number two bar in chicago and I thought they should have been number one. Their tacos and mexican fare are superb. However, they are cash only, and women don't like it b/c they don't serve vodka or light beer (they only have microbrews, a TON of whiskey including barrels they've picked out themselves, and tequila).

superlazy
04-11-2013, 05:15 PM
It's Chicago!!!!! Beef, Polish, Dogs and the mother of all foods PIZZA!!!!
Please do not miss out on those

marubozo
04-11-2013, 05:32 PM
and the mother of all foods PIZZA!!!!

You mean a round casserole that's made with pizza ingredients? :wink:

Booking It
04-11-2013, 05:35 PM
I would second Chicago Q. Smoque is good, but I find it to be a bit of a pain in the rear to get to and parking is terrible. It really isn't worth the hassle of going to when Chicago Q is just as good, if not better. Parking isn't much better at Chicago Q, but it's walkable depending on where you are staying (assuming downtown) and it's right next to an el stop.

And yes, make sure to get some Italian beef. Portillo's is my favorite. I'm going there for dinner tonight! :)

superlazy
04-11-2013, 05:51 PM
You mean a round casserole that's made with pizza ingredients? :wink:
Oh you better believe it!:biggrin1:
There is really great thin crust also

Stoke&Smoke
04-11-2013, 05:54 PM
It ain't q, but an Italian beef is a Chicago specialty too!

Ron_L
04-11-2013, 05:55 PM
If I were going to pay way too much for ribs I would go to Chicago Q and get Leeann Whippen's competition style ribs.

$billBBQ
04-11-2013, 06:34 PM
Great thanks for all the feedback I'm sure going to try and hit a couple places on my trip look like Chicago Q gets the nod as place to try.

If I were going to pay way too much for ribs I would go to Chicago Q and get Leeann Whippen's competition style ribs. - that is the benefit of traveling on business will expense the dinner

Captain Dave
04-11-2013, 06:44 PM
Yeah, I'd go for the Chicago beef and save the rib eating for Texas or St Louis.

DriverWild
04-11-2013, 07:34 PM
Chicago Rib House downtown was one of my favorites but closed years ago...sad! I've heard a lot of good things about Smoque and Pork Shoppe.

prodano
04-12-2013, 12:15 AM
I'd look at Smoque (http://smoquebbq.com/).

Second that. I haven't been to many BBQ joints in Chicago, but I have been to Smoque and thought it was pretty good.

ScreamingChicken
04-12-2013, 01:02 PM
Oh you better believe it!:biggrin1:
There is really great thin crust alsoThin crust cut into squares (tavern style) is the original Chicago-style pizza, but I like both styles.

Bill, I see that you're in MA so if you've never had a White Castle burger this would be an opportunity to do so.

Gilstarr
04-12-2013, 05:35 PM
I'd say try them all!! :thumb:

$billBBQ
04-12-2013, 07:35 PM
I wish I had more time but 2 nights and lots of buiness meetings won't be able to try everything... But I should be able to add at least try to swing into White castle for a quick lunch. Thanks for all the idea guys -- Bill

Parruthead
04-13-2013, 08:23 PM
Not in Chicago proper but I have a buddy who goes to Uncle Bub's everytime he's in the area.

Paulny
05-01-2013, 09:28 AM
Ate at Chichago Q on a family trip! My family loved it. Pulled pork amazing!!

S4vant
05-03-2013, 10:45 AM
Ate at Chichago Q on a family trip! My family loved it. Pulled pork amazing!!

I'm in Chicago for trade shows at least 2-3 times a year. Going to have to put Chicago Q on the list.

For those wanting great Chicago style pizza...Lou Malnatti's (http://www.loumalnatis.com/)....phenomenal.

For something a little different try The Purlple Pig (http://thepurplepigchicago.com/)

Been to the Weber Grill Restaurant....while it may seem blasphemous....it was very forgettable.