PDA

View Full Version : A little side by side G2 Chubby & Humphrey's Battle Box

smokinit
04-05-2013, 10:25 AM
The Battle Box is good bit larger both are in the same base price range. We will put it to the test this weekend at Willie if my cold doesn't get any worse.

Untraceable
04-05-2013, 11:40 AM
wow, I didnt think it was that much bigger

MidnightStokersBBQ
04-11-2013, 01:43 PM
What's the verdict? Comparable cooks? Differences other than size?

smokinit
04-11-2013, 02:20 PM
What's the verdict? Comparable cooks? Differences other than size?

The construction off these units is very different. The Battle box is tublier steel constuction and the backwoods sheet metal. The comp I did last weekend really showed the diffrences. The Battle box is a fuel mizer and you can ope the doors up all you want and it comps back to temp promptly. The Chubby struggled now this is just running naturaly. The water pan on the chubby warped also but i did settle back after cooling. The Battle box was a dream to run locked in at 250 with the daisey wheel just cracked open. when I wanted to set my glazes slide the water pan out and cranked her up to 450 with ease. I have been a BWS dealer for 8 years but the G2 chubby is a tin can compared to the Battle Box hard for me to say.

Jaskew82
04-11-2013, 02:35 PM
I bet airflow on the firebox is greatly improved on the battle box too compared to the BWS.

Untraceable
04-11-2013, 02:53 PM
ouch.

smokinit
04-11-2013, 02:56 PM
ouch.

I know sorry man this thing is a tank for about the same price.

MidnightStokersBBQ
04-11-2013, 02:58 PM
The construction off these units is very different. The Battle box is tublier steel constuction and the backwoods sheet metal.

I assume that means a significant weight increase?

when I wanted to set my glazes slide the water pan out and cranked her up to 450 with ease.

So the slide out pan is worth it? To me its a trade off between ease of use and losing to shelf spots.

Any noticeable difference it bark between the two? I assume not...

MidnightStokersBBQ
04-11-2013, 02:58 PM
and the backwoods is smaller and more expensive....

smokinit
04-11-2013, 03:04 PM
I assume that means a significant weight increase?

So the slide out pan is worth it? To me its a trade off between ease of use and losing to shelf spots.

Any noticeable difference it bark between the two? I assume not...

The bark on the brisket I did was better the water in the water pan does not boil as much cutting down on the lower bark production you can have in a Backwoods. Have not done a butt in it yet I will at Pork in The Park next weekend. The Backwoods is slightly less about $100 with comparible drop in water pan the slide out is about $200 more but you get you choice of 9 standard colors which the BWS does not offer.

MidnightStokersBBQ
04-11-2013, 03:09 PM
Seems like a no-brainer to me. I know people like the ease of moving around the backwoods but I will take a heavier and better constructed cooker any day. Plus to me the size difference is substantial. Almost the size of a G2 Party which is MUCH more expensive.

Teamfour
04-11-2013, 03:23 PM
The construction off these units is very different. The Battle box is tublier steel constuction and the backwoods sheet metal.

Are you saying the BWS has no tubular steel in the frame? I'm pretty sure my Party does. Just the weight of the Party tells me it is more than pure sheet metal construction.

Not trying to bash the Humphrey. In fact I am interested in one as a second smoker.

smokinit
04-11-2013, 04:21 PM
Here is what I am talking about when I say framed constuction no Backwoods is not all sheet metal the inside shell is heavier.
The Humphrey's is just heavier constuction throughout.

Teamfour
04-11-2013, 06:52 PM
Great pics! Thanks for the clarification.

smokinit
04-11-2013, 08:35 PM
Great pics! Thanks for the clarification.

No problemo bud

Goddahavit
04-12-2013, 07:00 AM
Kevin, how far do the doors open? do they stop at 90 like the backwoods?

smokinit
04-12-2013, 07:09 AM
Yup they are pinned hinges much stonger.

polishdon
04-13-2013, 02:06 PM
Ordered a battle box this morning, can't wait to get it!!!