PDA

View Full Version : Rib competition and Cambro

Smoke&HoneyBBQ
04-04-2013, 02:08 PM
I have a rib competition next week and the suck part is they are providing the ribs for you to cook.

Now my problem is I have been trying on ribs I normally would buy and nailing my 5 p.m. turn in perfect. The problem I have is with them providing the meat is good chance it is completely different than my standard provider (betting skinnier).

I am going to do my best to guestimate how long it will take but the problem is if I finish up 30-60 minutes early and have to move to the cambro to wait.

I will be glazing them too.

Does anyone have any tips? i.e. just move them and stop over analyzing or move them to the cambro close to done and 15-20 minutes before turn in throw them back on the smoker to glaze and tighten up.

Full Draw BBQ
04-04-2013, 02:14 PM
keep in foil (if you are foiling) and move to Cambro after opening the foil for a minute to stop the cooking process. Then take out and finish with glaze in last 20-30 min.

Smoke&HoneyBBQ
04-04-2013, 02:17 PM
keep in foil (if you are foiling) and move to Cambro after opening the foil for a minute to stop the cooking process. Then take out and finish with glaze in last 20-30 min.

Was planning on foiling and I like this idea.

I also thought just move it to the second smoker running at 160.

Full Draw BBQ
04-04-2013, 02:30 PM
I would be careful to not overcook them.......I would get them to the point where I want them, meat pulled back from bones, and looking perfect, then hold them, and glaze/reheat them right before turn in. Good luck!

Pappy Q
04-04-2013, 02:44 PM
Over analyzing in my worthless opinion

Smoke&HoneyBBQ
04-04-2013, 02:45 PM
I would be careful to not overcook them.......I would get them to the point where I want them, meat pulled back from bones, and looking perfect, then hold them, and glaze/reheat them right before turn in. Good luck!

That is my #1 fear and I want to place well and really overcooking is the only thing that could screw us.

mobow
04-04-2013, 03:49 PM
That is my #1 fear and I want to place well and really overcooking is the only thing that could screw us.

I bet there are a couple of other things that could do that to you. lol

NRA4Life
04-04-2013, 07:44 PM
Buy some "skinny ribs" and practice on them before the competition.

Bbq Bubba
04-04-2013, 08:43 PM
Get your ribs and make a educated guess on the timing.

Unless their a pound smaller than you normally cook, ribs are ribs. Timing will be the same.

If your holding, your not winning.

boogiesnap
04-04-2013, 10:08 PM
Get your ribs and make a educated guess on the timing.

Unless their a pound smaller than you normally cook, ribs are ribs. Timing will be the same.

If your holding, your not winning.

i would disagree...for multiple reasons.

rib runners
04-04-2013, 11:52 PM
If your ribs are done way early, you can open the foil to stop the cooking, wait until they stop steaming. Then close up the foil, place them in a plastic bag and put them in the cooler with ice. If you are finishing them on the grill, pull them out of the cooler and give yourself enough time to come up to temp. If the smoker, give yourself a little more time.

You are right, the best is to nail them dead on when you are boxing.

Good Luck, Ron

Smoke&HoneyBBQ
04-05-2013, 11:07 AM
I bet there are a couple of other things that could do that to you. lol

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Oh yeah I am sure I will find another way to screw the pooch.

Smoke&HoneyBBQ
04-05-2013, 11:09 AM
Buy some "skinny ribs" and practice on them before the competition.

Great minds think alike.

I asked the butcher for a couple slabs of smaller last night so we can test tomorrow.

indianagriller
04-05-2013, 12:18 PM
I sent a PM, but where is this cook off located? There is one close to where i live that weekend too.

Smoke&HoneyBBQ
04-05-2013, 12:22 PM
I sent a PM, but where is this cook off located? There is one close to where i live that weekend too.

This one is up at Dark Horse Brewery in Marshall MI.

Damn wish I knew about that because I got a good amount of friends down there I could visit.

Are you doing the competition in June in Franklin IN?

indianagriller
04-05-2013, 01:57 PM
Yes we are, and I believe we are supposed to vend at franklin again as well.