PDA

View Full Version : money muscle or pork slices?

manbearpig
04-03-2013, 08:33 PM
Hey guys, I was just checking out this video How to trim a pork butt, Crimson and blue bbq - YouTube on money muscle isolation for competition. To me it seems to be an exaggerated cutoff of the money muscle. I was taught the MM is on the very end of the butt where you can see the striation of fat running along the basically pork tenderloin diameter sized . What do you think?

Eggspert
04-03-2013, 09:12 PM
I don't think this guy know where the money muscle is.

Smokin Mike
04-03-2013, 10:27 PM
thanks for posting the video, I didn't know crimson made any videos.

his way of doing it, is very close what I do, except I don't cut as deep, and I do trim way more then he did on the video.

sweetheatbbq
04-04-2013, 07:15 AM
Looks like it would be some big slices

hogzgonewild
04-04-2013, 08:41 AM
To me, the money muscle is that 1"-1.5" diameter X 5-6" long round muscle right at the end of the butt. I've always heard it described as the beginning of the pork loin that runs along side the backbone.

I do trim mine up considerably, so that I can get bark and a smoke ring around almost the entire muscle. It makes beautiful medallions for the box.

Wampus
04-04-2013, 12:19 PM
I don't think this guy know where the money muscle is.

As I understand it, what he's "separating out" is the $M PLUS a bit more.
I think he has about twice as much as the actual money muscle, correct?
I believe what's referred to as the "$M" is actually a group of 3 smaller muscles, but he's isolating about 5-6 individual muscles I think.

Scottie
04-04-2013, 06:07 PM
The first thing he needs is a sharp knife and quit using that butter knife...

boogiesnap
04-04-2013, 06:30 PM
that video gets a :shock: from me.

Jaskew82
04-04-2013, 07:17 PM
interesting approach non-the-less. I would love to try some slices but I don't think I would ever take that approach myself.

TheJackal
04-04-2013, 09:07 PM
You mean everybody doesn't trim their butts like this?:bolt:

boogiesnap
04-04-2013, 09:17 PM
You mean everybody doesn't trim their butts like this?:bolt:

i've never seen that.

but i'm bad.

<<<<<<<<

KC_Bobby
04-04-2013, 11:08 PM
my ears are bleeding

GrillsGoneWild
04-04-2013, 11:46 PM
If anybody is still wondering why KCBS decided to go ahead and change the pork rule, this is the prime example of why.

big matt
04-05-2013, 12:02 AM
If anybody is still wondering why KCBS decided to go ahead and change the pork rule, this is the prime example of why.

My thoughts exactly.

fnbish
04-05-2013, 06:12 AM
I don't see what is so far out of left field here. He is trimming out the MM, granted a larger portion of that end of the butt that is actually more meat than just the MM. The part that was hard for me to take was the music in the video. Having music in an intro is fine, but overlaying it throughout an instructional video is distracting/annoying.

TheJackal
04-05-2013, 06:49 AM
i've never seen that.

but i'm bad.

<<<<<<<<

Boogie, I was kidding. I've never seen it before either.

Balls Casten
04-05-2013, 07:40 AM
Why do we trim food? So that it cooks evenly.
It looks to me that he has trimmed the butt so that section will cook evenly. Money muscle, tubes... it’s all good.

MikeJ65
04-05-2013, 08:11 AM
I can't believe that I'm defending a KU fan, but I give him credit for shooting the video and putting it out there. It's not the way I currently trim, but it is better than what I was doing when I started.

Go Wildcats.

Lakeside Smoker
04-05-2013, 08:13 AM
I usually don't comment on stuff like this because I really don't care what other people do in their site. But, in my opinion, this is really pushing the limits of the rule of 'no parting'. Obviously it's not illegal because it goes into the cooker as 'one piece' of meat. But I would love to see what butt looks like after that fat cap has rendered. Just my two cents from a retired comp cook. :wink:

-Mike

Jaskew82
04-05-2013, 08:50 AM
But I would love to see what butt looks like after that fat cap has rendered. Just my two cents from a retired comp cook. :wink:

-Mike

Mike,
I think he is taking a big chance that the fat cap doesn't render enough to split the meat into 2 parts. Though, if it did render and split, I would bet unless someone is peaking at his site, no one would be the wiser.

The real question is... would he still use it knowing it is now no longer a legal piece since it is effectively parted.

Either way, I agree completely that this is taking the rule to the limits.

Pole D
04-05-2013, 10:04 AM
Mike,
I think he is taking a big chance that the fat cap doesn't render enough to split the meat into 2 parts. Though, if it did render and split, I would bet unless someone is peaking at his site, no one would be the wiser.

The real question is... would he still use it knowing it is now no longer a legal piece since it is effectively parted.

Either way, I agree completely that this is taking the rule to the limits.

I agree with the taking it to the limit part but would it actually be an illegal piece of meat if the fat cap rendered? I mean since it was put on the smoker as one piece and not taken off during the cook. Seems like he could argue that the separation was a byproduct of the natural cooking process.

Jaskew82
04-05-2013, 12:38 PM
I agree with the taking it to the limit part but would it actually be an illegal piece of meat if the fat cap rendered? I mean since it was put on the smoker as one piece and not taken off during the cook. Seems like he could argue that the separation was a byproduct of the natural cooking process.

Here is the rule from the 2013 rule book: "Pork shall be cooked whole (bone in or bone out) and shall not be separated during the cooking process. At no time shall the meat once separated be returned to a cooker."

If the fat cap renders enough to split the meat into 2 pieces because he cut it that way, I would think that would considered "separated during the cooking process".

Just my $0.02.

MikeJ65
04-05-2013, 12:59 PM
Any chance we can turn this into a ten page rant over the pork parting rule?

Jaskew82
04-05-2013, 01:23 PM
That's the goal MikeJ65... isn't it?

Hawg Father of Seoul
04-05-2013, 01:31 PM
There is white meat in his "money muscle". Some one owes him a sharpener for having the balls to put that out there.

manbearpig
04-05-2013, 06:11 PM
I certainly didn't mean to through this guy under the bus. I appreciate all these guys that are willing to show us what they are doing. I have seen turn in boxes before on bbq critic with those rather large MM , slices and was looking for conformation on what I was thinking MM is. Thanks

ModelMaker
04-06-2013, 08:42 AM
We all know he's stretching the rule to the very edge of a DQ. It's his piece of pork and his consience. If he doesn't have a problem with it then it is what it is.
Next year it won't be an issue.
Ed

Rookie'48
04-06-2013, 10:07 PM
Any time you push the rules to the breaking point just remember that the Rep might not see things the way that you do.

Muzzlebrake
04-06-2013, 11:40 PM
What he is doing is not an issue at all. In fact I don't think it's pushing the limits of the rules and is certainly not even close to some of the more "interesting" interpretations I have seen. I've seen a lot more fragile looking one piece butts than the one he has there.

akoda
08-06-2013, 12:27 PM
All,

This is an interesting read for a noobie, I viewed that video last night and I have a couple of questions.

Sounds like the rule will be changed next year, what will that rule be?

If you don't cut as deep as he does and minimize the risk of separation is that a bad thing?

and a general question, not that I would do anything iffy intentionally. Are sites inspected? Can reps come and look in my pit(s)?

kenthanson
08-06-2013, 02:04 PM
Does anyone have a picture as to how slices like that look after cooking?

Wampus
08-06-2013, 02:11 PM
Does anyone have a picture as to how slices like that look after cooking?

Pulled this one off of bbqcritic.com:

Obviously, slices will be bigger or smaller, depending on how much one trims the $M and the sauce will play into how they look, but.....

Dex
08-06-2013, 03:48 PM
I actually did a pork practice this past weekend .....

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y251/ndexter/IMG_20130802_212726_902.jpg

Gave me this

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y251/ndexter/IMG_20130803_171811_257.jpg

Forgive me if its not perfect.... Im a noob to the comp scene and this was my first ever pork box that I put together. :wacko:

loco_engr
08-06-2013, 04:56 PM
Dex:

You're making my mouth water!! :icon_smile_tongue: