PDA

View Full Version : Rib Injection

Bigmista
02-08-2006, 09:38 AM
Ok, I really thought I posted this question last night but maybe I was just dreaming.

Anyway, a while back I was watching a bbq competition on food network where this guy was injecting his ribs. My question is, does anyone here do this and if so, can you give me an idea for a basic injection?

(Moderators, if I posted this somewhere else and just couldn't find it, please forgive me.)

BrooklynQ
02-08-2006, 09:57 AM
Injecting ribs reminds me of Zonker Harris putting toothpicks between his toes in search of the perfect tan.

Bigmista
02-08-2006, 11:00 AM
Kinda what I thought too but I've never competed so there are bound to be things I don't know. Better to ask...

Sawdustguy
02-08-2006, 11:16 AM
If you really wanted to (I have no idea why anyone would want to) you could inject them with FAB-P.

backyardchef
02-08-2006, 11:29 AM
I think Squeal of Approval did that in the All Star BBQ Showdown, too. Them ribbies plumped up real good.

ique
02-08-2006, 11:31 AM
Injecting ribs reminds me of Zonker Harris putting toothpicks between his toes in search of the perfect tan.

:lol: Spot on analogy, but sometimes those kind of details win championships.

MoKanMeathead
02-08-2006, 11:51 AM
I know of several teams that inject straight apple juice in their ribs for competition. IQ is right the difference between 1st and middle of the pack is details.

BrooklynQ
02-08-2006, 11:53 AM
Ok - I know the difference is in the details - but do those folks who inject ribs win? Or am I just too dense to get your meaning?

MoKanMeathead
02-08-2006, 12:11 PM
Sometimes they win - somethimes they don't. All but one of the teams I was talking about have won a contest or won the rib category. Unfortunately the one that hasn't done either is my team!!

Bigmista
02-08-2006, 03:00 PM
I'm doing 2 racks this weekend. I'll inject one and see if I can tell the difference.

chad
02-08-2006, 03:06 PM
If you inject one and not the other (a "do nothing" control) you'll see a difference, maybe.

If you marinade one and inject one - you probably won't see a lot of difference. Rib slabs (loinbacks or spares) are thin pieces of meat and so it doesn't take a lot of effort to get flavor into them. If you leave a salty rub on ribs overnight it'll almost act like a cure and penetrate all the way through.

Some cures I use for jerky work at about 1/4 inch per 24 hour period.

Your injection experiment will be useful...especially if you followup with a marinade vs. injection session later.

Take notes!!

The_Kapn
02-08-2006, 03:27 PM
Interesting discussion.

Ribs and Chickie (small peices) have a small cross section. Not "too far" from the surface to the middle.
I did many, many "test cooks" with Chickie where I injected them. I even tried cutting (scoring) the backside to help marinades and even "opened up" the cuts and pressed the flavor inside on occasion.
Never really could tell the difference when done.
Flavor and moisture was all the way through, no matter what I tried.
They all seemed to work.

It seemed like a good marinade/brine, allowed to work for 3 to 12 hours penetrated just fine. Depends on the marinade/brine for sure.

If I was "rushed" and had to flavor and then cook--like right now--injection would certainly be an option.

I think the situation with ribs might be similar, just never went to that extent of testing with them, yet.

I do not know--gonna try rib injection and see.
I just wish they were "cost effective" and that I could experiment more :lol:

Good ideas.

TIM

MoKanMeathead
02-08-2006, 04:58 PM
I would definately agree that you shouldn't see much difference between marinating and injecting - I think both are accomplishing the same thing. We inject a lot of the meat we cook for contests simply because there isn't enough time after meat inspection to let the marinades work.

Bigmista
02-08-2006, 05:19 PM
Seems like you could get at least 6-8 hours of marinade/brine time at a comp since ribs don't take as long to cook.

chad
02-08-2006, 07:04 PM
You can get 12 hours or more depending on when you show up and prep...plenty of time for marinades - except for the large meats.