PDA

View Full Version : Entry level smoker suggestions?

thefabledpig
04-03-2013, 07:12 PM
Hello, just wanting to get up and running ninja style.
1. I need something to cook on.
2. I drive a tiny hatchback.
3. I have a tiny budget <100

I have considered turning a retro fridge into a smoking rig, but am concerned about lead paint.

I do not mind being creative or unconventional, but want to keep it simple.

I am a ceramic artist and I own a kiln, any chance I could make my own egg style cooker?

I just want to make some food my papa would be proud of.

Any ideas?

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
04-03-2013, 07:19 PM
A 22.5" Weber One-Touch Silver is my suggestion. Very versatile grill and can be used for smoking.

jketron
04-03-2013, 07:47 PM
WSM and put it in the passenger seat

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
04-03-2013, 07:57 PM
I just noticed that you have this in the Competetion forum. Are you planning to compete with this smoker?

landarc
04-03-2013, 08:01 PM
That's what I was thinking, for under $100 and to compete, man, about the only thing would be a couple of Weber kettles used. Look for 22.5" models. There is just about nothing else for that price and will fit into a hatchback.

Parruthead
04-03-2013, 08:26 PM
I think you could fab up some mini WSM's and cook on those and they should fit in your hatch back... I would scour for a Full sized WSM and try and use one of those and a kettle.

thefabledpig
04-03-2013, 08:57 PM
I am planning to compete :)

Ron_L
04-03-2013, 09:17 PM

What type of competitions? That makes a huge difference.

If you're serious about the $100 budget, then the suggestion for a Weber kettle would be good for home, but limiting at competitions. For that budget, I would suggest build a UDS.

But, one may not be enough, and what about all of the other stuff that you will need?

JD McGee
04-03-2013, 09:32 PM
I got nuttin' that would fit in a small car for under a hudred bucks that you can cook all four comp meats on. Perhaps a used WSM from craig's list...or a couple of used kettles. Good luck!

stan
04-03-2013, 09:51 PM
I got nuttin' that would fit in a small car for under a hudred bucks that you can cook all four comp meats on. Perhaps a used WSM from craig's list...or a couple of used kettles. Good luck!

What JD said... craigslist and find a used WSM best entry level smoker...

CBQ
04-03-2013, 10:10 PM
With entry fees, meat, supplies, it costs about $600 to compete in a KCBS contest. Looking for a sub-$100 smoker might not be a good idea. The 22" WSM is probably the best low end choice, or just building a UDS.

You also have a small car...so...what's in the back seat? Maybe this is an option. (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-topic-discussions/348654-porsche-bbq.html) :becky:

Smokin Mike
04-03-2013, 10:13 PM

I don't mean anything bad, but the meat/supplies is going to be X3 or X4 the price you are wanting to spend on the cooker.

Icekub
04-03-2013, 10:14 PM
Find independently wealthy teammates to share the expense, preferrably w/ great smokers or rigs! In all seriousness though, about the cheapest way to cook the various meats at the same time would be 2 to 3 UDS drums, no less than 2. Still prob going to be more than 100 unless you know people to give you unlined drums for free.

thefabledpig
04-03-2013, 10:23 PM
It is part of the fun having the budget, and overcoming obstacles.
Thanks for all the great suggestions!
I am an artist, I have a tent and tables already, so figure I can just swap out the pottery for BBQ equipment :) I can squish quite a bit into my tiny car!
Since I am an absolute beginner, I think I will just compete in Back Yard division to start, and get some experience under my belt.

thefabledpig
04-03-2013, 10:25 PM
With entry fees, meat, supplies, it costs about $600 to compete in a KCBS contest. Looking for a sub-$100 smoker might not be a good idea. The 22" WSM is probably the best low end choice, or just building a UDS.

You also have a small car...so...what's in the back seat? Maybe this is an option. (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-topic-discussions/348654-porsche-bbq.html) :becky:
I appreciate the humor, great link! :D

J&B'sBBQ
04-04-2013, 11:28 AM
If you're really just looking to BY to start and are okay with upgrading your equipment in the next 12 months, there are some decent $50 finds at Lowes that are a similar style to the WSM (just not Weber quality). We have one that we use at home and will take to comps with us to have as back up to run hot and fast if needed. It has done very well for us for the last year but we can only fit 1 butt or brisket and (at most) 12 chicken thighs.

It'll be hard to find something large enough to cook what you need at that price, but good luck!

BTW, by "Smyrna" do you mean Georgia?

sonicstimuli
04-04-2013, 03:10 PM
This may be a straying from the topic a bit, but I'd say you should Google, "KCBS competition turn in chicken/pork/ribs/brisket" and just take a look at what you're diving into. Comps are a blast but if you've never smoked at all before and you're diving into a comp circuit, I'd hate to see you spend the couple hundred bucks for registration ALONE, plus meat, plus rub, plus foil, plus charcaol/wood/pellets, plus sauce (you get my point here), and most importantly the TIME it would take out of your weekend to not win a dime. I think it may be beneficial to try to find a team first you could learn from then work your way into the competition part. I DO NOT discourage you from getting a smoker to make delicious food on AT ALL though. BBQ in any form is meant to be fun and delicious. Best of luck!

Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
04-04-2013, 03:14 PM
Not sure if it's feasible, but what about building a couple of UDS's and put a reciever hitch on your car with some sort of basket? (just grasping at straws)

AdamCSmith724
04-04-2013, 03:43 PM
Not sure if it's feasible, but what about building a couple of UDS's and put a reciever hitch on your car with some sort of basket? (just grasping at straws)

I'm from north Alabama and I know I have seen little hatchbacks pulling covered trailers twice the size of the car.:becky:
So maybe....?

Also I would suggest a UDS built from a steel drum for a good smoker on the cheap. Building one myself this summer.

Wrench_H
04-04-2013, 03:54 PM
Find independently wealthy teammates to share the expense, preferrably w/ great smokers or rigs!

I think this was meant as a joke, but seriously, finding some teammates would help a lot. I usually take 3-5 guys with me, and we split expenses and winnings on the rare occasion that there are any :-D. If you get 5 guys to throw in $100, you are a lot more likely to find some workable options such as a couple WSMs. And hopefully one of them will have a truck.

nthole
04-04-2013, 04:13 PM
I get the challenge, but the idea that you'd spend another $400 on entry fees and meats to see how well you can do as a beginner on a $100 smoker...just seems like a waste of $500. Now if you were an accomplished Q'r or were already Q'ing at home a ton and wanted to try it, that'd be different. I think you're just going to be frustrated.

I'd look to take just the money you would have spent on the first contest to buy a decent smoker and a bunch of meat and spend all summer Q'in and learning and then look for the challenge next year.

That said, I'd go for a WSM. Sounds like you're handy, for $100 you could build a UDS though. Keep an eye on Craigslist as well for whatever you can get. Barrels for the UDS, 22.5 Weber grill or any kind of smoker.

Cayman1
04-04-2013, 06:14 PM
Best smoker less than $100 I have seen is a Master Forge from Lowes. Not saying they are as good as a WSM, but pretty good for the price. $59.00 at my Lowes. I've thought about getting one and seeing how it can be modded to be even better.

ButtBurner
04-04-2013, 06:32 PM
Best smoker less than $100 I have seen is a Master Forge from Lowes. Not saying they are as good as a WSM, but pretty good for the price. $59.00 at my Lowes. I've thought about getting one and seeing how it can be modded to be even better.

you mean like this?

;)

Cayman1
04-05-2013, 06:35 AM
That is it. How do you like it?

smokeisgood
04-05-2013, 10:03 AM
Maybe this is an option. (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-topic-discussions/348654-porsche-bbq.html) :becky:
That is just all kinds of wrong....

Bentley
04-05-2013, 01:42 PM
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n90/lwnna/2012%20VA%20Trip/IMG_0001-5.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n90/lwnna/2012%20VA%20Trip/IMG_0002-3.jpg

See some strange stuff when you travel...I think I was coming into Dothan, AL fom the South on the way to Andersonville, last May on a trip to Virginia...Needless to say, I tried to get in front of him, as my old defensive football coach from OK used to say..."immedialty, if not sooner!"

smokeisgood
04-05-2013, 04:00 PM
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n90/lwnna/2012%20VA%20Trip/IMG_0001-5.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n90/lwnna/2012%20VA%20Trip/IMG_0002-3.jpg

See some strange stuff when you travel...I think I was coming into Dothan, AL fom the South on the way to Andersonville, last May on a trip to Virginia...Needless to say, I tried to get in front of him, as my old defensive football coach from OK used to say..."immedialty, if not sooner!"
You need to be careful where you park that car...someone stuck a Fresno State window sticker on it....derned vandals.... :bolt:

4uweque
04-05-2013, 05:00 PM
I have used a couple of UDSs and a Weber kettle for a while, I use a Jeep as a tow vehicle and a small 4x8 trailer, you can do this pretty cheap but you have to do your homework. I honestly don't think a more expensive cooker would be of any help at all. I say go for it and have fun.

Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
04-06-2013, 08:37 AM
A couple of years ago, a guy rolled up to a local comp with two UDS's and a 18.5" kettle in his truck. He dropped the tailgate and did his meat prep on it. Walked out the GC.

J&B'sBBQ
04-06-2013, 08:20 PM
you mean like this?

;)

We have the same little unit! Been using it for a year before we bought our pull behind. I have a strong alliance to that little green machine :grin: