PDA

View Full Version : Virginia State Championship May 13, 2006

backyardchef
02-07-2006, 06:19 PM
I got an email from Lynn Shivers of the IBCA about this tonight-- The Virginia National Backyard Barbeque. This is the first IBCA event I know about in this neck of the woods. Sounds like a heck of an event, too. It will be at the Richmond International Speedway.

The info is up on the ibca site, as well as the site below.

http://www.seagullpromotions.com/index_events.html

--Matt

Sawdustguy
02-07-2006, 06:41 PM
Looks like alot of fun but just a touch too far away for us.

beerguy
02-07-2006, 06:45 PM
hey Brauma, Troutman, whatcha think/ i know this is a busy weekend, its college grad weekend, and lots going on. Maybe we can slipoff to the raceway and check it out.

Smoker
02-07-2006, 07:02 PM

Hey Guy,

Not if we leave tomorrow.

backyardchef
02-07-2006, 07:05 PM
Hey Guy,

Not if we leave tomorrow.

I think I've gotta coupla days off at work, and Queens is on the way.

Brauma
02-07-2006, 07:18 PM
Im up for it. (Hey, this is my first ever post in the Competition thread> Oooo aaahhh) I'll buzz Trout and see what he says.

BrooklynQ
02-07-2006, 07:26 PM
Backyard chef - ok go ahead and shill for some other contest. Sheesh! :mad: :twisted: :biggrin:

Smoker
02-07-2006, 07:30 PM
Rob....Matt's networking!!!!!!!!

backyardchef
02-07-2006, 07:37 PM
Backyard chef - ok go ahead and shill for some other contest. Sheesh! :mad: :twisted: :biggrin:

Wtf, man? Our contest sells itself :twisted::mrgreen::roll:

Brauma
02-07-2006, 07:38 PM
Ok Ive emailed Trout and RoknRandy of Roanoke. Lets see if we can get a VA contingent together.

Trout_man22
02-08-2006, 08:07 AM
I'm there!

Brauma
05-10-2006, 08:39 AM
Trout, are we still a go for the VA Backyard Q Challenge? Who all is going?

Im buying advance tickets today for me & BeerGuy. Im taking my son as well. Gosh I'm so looking forward to this. My mouth is watering for some pro cooked Q.

beerguy
05-10-2006, 10:27 AM
I just sent the email to the promoter for "why I want to be a Judge!". hell, I've been eating all my life! Am a BBQ enthusiast and ambassador, plus I am really entertaining the idea of becoming a certified judge. Who knows, maybe they will pick me!

BobberQer
05-10-2006, 01:53 PM
bout 5 hours drive, wadda think?? lol

Pigs on The Run
05-10-2006, 05:33 PM
i have been talking about this for weeks. Now you guys are excited. That is great. I love to see all of you. we will be vending and competing. Texas Rib ranger will be there too. A lot of first timers will be there competing. should be fun.
John

Brauma
05-10-2006, 07:10 PM
John, I'll be the skinny guy with a full head of hair. Yeah right. I'll have my Brethren shirt on and looking for you guys. Cant wait!!

ThomEmery
05-10-2006, 07:12 PM
I got an email from Lynn Shivers of the IBCA about this tonight-- The Virginia National Backyard Barbeque. This is the first IBCA event I know about in this neck of the woods. Sounds like a heck of an event, too. It will be at the Richmond International Speedway.

The info is up on the ibca site, as well as the site below.

http://www.seagullpromotions.com/index_events.html

--Matt
Very Big weekend for the IBCA being in Va.
We will be doing IBCA here in Calif.next year

beerguy
05-11-2006, 05:24 AM
John, I'll be the skinny guy with a full head of hair. Yeah right. I'll have my Brethren shirt on and looking for you guys. Cant wait!!

John, I'll be the "portly" gentleman walking beside the skinny guy wearing the Brethren shirt. I will look hungry. And thirsty. I'm sure this will help to offset us from the masses for easy identification!

Trout_man22
05-11-2006, 11:17 AM
My father-in-law and brother-in-law showed up last night. They weren't due for a week they drove down from MN to pick up the 5th wheel. I may have to bring them. Or not I'll have to play it by ear.

wishinfishin
05-11-2006, 01:49 PM
A quick note to those interested in competing in the IBCA. I've cooked in many of these events and we have a great time. You need to know that the judges are not certified...they're volunteers from the crowd. 2. IBCA does not judge by the sauce and you are not allowed to laddle sauce on the meat at turn in. You have to cook it on. No garnish is required. All you turn in is just the meat. The amount of cooks competing determines the quantity to turn in. Normal turn in for 40 - 50 cooks is 7 slices of Brisket, 7 SPARE ribs...no bb's allowed and one fully jointed 1/2 chicken. I have turned in as many as 10 slices, 10 ribs and 2 halves. There will be a cooks meeting the eve. before or the day of the comp and you will be notified of what will be required.
All the rules are on the IBCA web page if you have any questions, or you can email me or pm me.
Have fun and Good Luck!!

beerguy
05-11-2006, 04:40 PM
Hey guys, just got a email from the promoter that I have been selected as a judge! Wow! I've never done this before, but am really looking forward to it. Any pointers? How bout you certified judges, what should I be looking for as a "guest" judge?

ThomEmery
05-11-2006, 06:50 PM
Lynn will give you all a class in the fine Art of Judging Q
I am going to a IBCA Contest in West, Tx. in July looking forward to it

beerguy
05-11-2006, 08:19 PM
Thanks Thom, the email said I have a meeting at 11 am Sat so thats where we will get the instructions, I guess. Seems like the IBCA is happy to be here in VA. Most of their gigs are around TX. This should be both fun and educational.

ThomEmery
05-11-2006, 08:26 PM
You bet Q Bro When I judged a KCBS contest I learned my BBQ was a lil better than I thought LOL

Brauma
05-12-2006, 05:51 AM
Whos the luckiest Brethren Farker in Frederickburg? BeerGuy, BeerGuy he's our man! If he cant judge it, who the fark can?!

This is great. I hope you enjoy the whole experience Rick. I know you will.

Brauma
05-13-2006, 07:52 PM
Had a great time at the championship today. Met John of Pigs on the Run. They took 6th place in chicken (if Im not mistaken). BeerGuy took lots of pics and Im hoping he will post some soon. BeerGuy was lovin life today as a judge. I know hes a tired pup.

Oh, BYW, my Brethren Tshirt was a hit. I cant count the number of people who stopped me and wanted to talk. Some dude took my picture (Not sure if he was newspaper or who) Contestants grabbed me and took me back to see their rigs and setups. I got lots of free Q. And all because of the Tshirt!! One guy said "hey, you're a Brethren. Why arent you competing?" I dont feel that Im any where near competition level yet. But maybe in another year...

Great time. Im looking forward to the next one.

BBQchef33
05-13-2006, 11:24 PM
Had a great time at the championship today. Met John of Pigs on the Run. They took 6th place in chicken (if Im not mistaken). BeerGuy took lots of pics and Im hoping he will post some soon. BeerGuy was lovin life today as a judge. I know hes a tired pup.

Oh, BYW, my Brethren Tshirt was a hit. I cant count the number of people who stopped me and wanted to talk. Some dude took my picture (Not sure if he was newspaper or who) Contestants grabbed me and took me back to see their rigs and setups. I got lots of free Q. And all because of the Tshirt!! One guy said "hey, you're a Brethren. Why arent you competing?" I dont feel that Im any where near competition level yet. But maybe in another year...

Great time. Im looking forward to the next one.

That great.. a good time had by all.. but i keep on tellin you guys..

anyone can win.. on any given day..

and also... seems we are getting Pig Recognition!!

beerguy
05-14-2006, 10:47 AM
Heres a couple of pics of John and the guys and gals of Pigs on the Run. After judging 11 boxes of ribs and eating from 3 other vendors, I gotta say these were the best ribs at the competition. The second picture is their pulled pork just before turn in. Way to go Pigs on the Run!

Pigs on The Run
05-14-2006, 09:29 PM
Heres a couple of pics of John and the guys and gals of Pigs on the Run. After judging 11 boxes of ribs and eating from 3 other vendors, I gotta say these were the best ribs at the competition. The second picture is their pulled pork just before turn in. Way to go Pigs on the Run!
thanks it was great to see you guys . hope to see you again

bbqbull
05-14-2006, 10:20 PM
Phil, I just got an ephiney. Nope fark the big words......How bout ......Im just thinkin out loud here. Im thinking........a merit badge for bbq for the scouts...........Now im sure you wanna just come here and kick the fark outta me...but what a great idea.... That would involve a ton of young folks who would really want to learn how to Q.... Besides during thier training or practice they could eat some fine fine food. God I bet ya really are ticked at me now...I thought about contacting Step or Carolyn at KCBS. They might not be too excited bout my thoughts. Thought id run them thru the forum first. Heck if the idea is pretty receptive to some folks we have a huge wealth of Qin folks to draw from, including me
Mike

BBQchef33
05-14-2006, 11:11 PM
hey bull

I am allready on that.

Im the badge guru for cooking, technology and pet care. I gotta get this post up i am working on.. but it entails cooking for the BSA at a large camping event, teaching a judging class to the older scouts(16-17 Year old) and then having them judge a few teams who would be there cooking. Me, Ron_l and vinny were talking about that this weekend.

Sawdustguy
05-15-2006, 12:06 AM
Phil,

We are all over this. My younger nephew Kyle is a scout and my older nephew Cole is an Eagle Scout. My brother has mentioned he wanted to bring the Lang to Calverton for an outing before. We volunteer to help any way you wish.

ThomEmery
05-15-2006, 07:55 PM
Well Lynn Shivers of the IBCA tells me the Breathern guys were some of the most friendly folks in Va. Great Report Brothers

Brauma
05-15-2006, 08:32 PM
Thom, they don't call us Virginia Gentlemen for nothing.

I had a great time and Im looking forward to the next one.

bbqmom
05-16-2006, 07:50 AM
Thom, they don't call us Virginia Gentlemen for nothing.

I had a great time and Im looking forward to the next one.

Mark: I'm glad you enjoyed yourself at Richmond. All of the teams and judges were great. I really enjoyed myself at the event. Hopefully they
will ask us back again next year.:-D

Brauma
05-17-2006, 08:02 AM
Mark: I'm glad you enjoyed yourself at Richmond. All of the teams and judges were great. I really enjoyed myself at the event. Hopefully they
will ask us back again next year.:-D

BBQmom, are you the lady who held my son and gave him some apple juice when the smoke got to him?

May not be you. She is from VA, her husband was from TX. They were in a RV and he had a big rusty smoker mounted to a trailer. (awesome rig. had horizontal & vert chambers; the firebox was almost rusted out; BeerGuy took pics of it) He offered us some brisket and by far it was the best brisket Ive ever had. Melt in your mouth juicy. I had gotten turned off to brisket but after tasting his, I'm up for trying again.

No offense to my Texas Brethren but we sort of noticed this: Texans know hoe to smoke beef, we here in the Southeast know how to smoke pork. Its like an inherent thing. This couple had it goin on. He had the brisket down pat. And she most likely had an influence on their pulled pork. Im really sorry I didnt get their names. She took to my son like he was her own. (my son is 4 and the smoke got to him for a little bit)

ThomEmery
05-17-2006, 08:37 AM
BBQ MOM Is Lynn Shivers the Head Judge at the event

bbqmom
05-17-2006, 11:29 AM
"BBQmom, are you the lady who held my son and gave him some apple juice when the smoke got to him? "

No I was in the judging area all day -- I was in the Head Judge for this event and instructed the judges on how to judge the product.

It was a great event --

Trout_man22
05-17-2006, 03:10 PM
No offense to my Texas Brethren but we sort of noticed this: Texans know hoe to smoke beef, we here in the Southeast know how to smoke pork. Its like an inherent thing. This couple had it goin on.

Speak for yourself I for one know HOW to smoke Beef, Pork, Chicken, Lamb, and a few others.

So Mark if you need help jusk ask.:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

You non-Brisket smoking fool!

Brauma
05-17-2006, 06:37 PM
Im gettin there, Trout. Im gettin there. Easy big fella. :-o Im doin some ribs this wknd and I'll do a brisket my next smoke. I wish I knew what that guy was marinading that brisket in. Man thatwas some good stuff.

BBQmom, I didnt get a chance to meet you, but I saw you on stage. Glad you liked Richmond.

beerguy
05-18-2006, 05:46 AM
"BBQmom, are you the lady who held my son and gave him some apple juice when the smoke got to him? "

No I was in the judging area all day -- I was in the Head Judge for this event and instructed the judges on how to judge the product.

It was a great event --

Very nice meeting you BBQmom, and thanks to you and Ashley for asking me to be a judge. I was at table 2, in the chicken and ribs. I was telling my wife how you reminded me of the nuns with your "ruler" story and your "I have eyes in the back of my head" comments! I had a great time.
I did get you in a picture doing your important work at the judges table. Unfortuately all my pictures at the awards got hosed. Greasy fingerprint on the lens Mod!

beerguy
05-18-2006, 05:55 AM
Ok. this time with the picture, I hope.

bbqmom
05-18-2006, 11:28 AM
Very nice meeting you BBQmom, and thanks to you and Ashley for asking me to be a judge. I was at table 2, in the chicken and ribs. I was telling my wife how you reminded me of the nuns with your "ruler" story and your "I have eyes in the back of my head" comments! I had a great time.
I did get you in a picture doing your important work at the judges table. Unfortuately all my pictures at the awards got hosed. Greasy fingerprint on the lens Mod!

I try to make the judges feel comfortable -- I take the judging serious because of the cost to participate but it needs to be fun too.
Hopefully we will get to do it again next year.
Thanks for judging.