PDA

View Full Version : Ribs ----- (Straight Bones)

WineMaster
04-01-2013, 10:44 AM
Anyone have anything they can offer as far as What brand they have found works best. Seems so hit and miss to find a cryo with 2 of the 3 racks usable. Any help or advice is appreciated.

TheJackal
04-01-2013, 11:08 AM
...What brand...

The pig does not know what brand it will become. You need to check the racks for straight bones yourself regardless of what brand you choose.

landarc
04-01-2013, 02:51 PM
I have found that I get better racks from the local restaurant supply stores. The grocery stores are a lost cause. I noticed that my local gourmet grocery store has great racks conistently, as does the local BBQ shop. So, I figured sourcing at the wholesale level was the trick. So far, what I found was that at a commercial case level, you can specify and get ribs based upon size and weight of the racks.

At Cash and Carry, the ribs have been reliably straighter and poorly trimmed, a little knife work and I end up with very good ribs with few rejects. And they cost less than the gourmet grocery store. The image below shows the types of racks I am getting about 5 out of 6 racks currently...
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u105/landarc/ribs-sliced_zpsd4b92caf.jpg

Cayman1
04-01-2013, 03:18 PM
We switched to Farmland since they are individually packed so we can see both sides and there isn't one hidden in the middle.

bwsy2k
04-01-2013, 03:28 PM
Landarc- Great looking Ribs there, thanks for the pic

sdbbq1234
04-01-2013, 03:42 PM
The last Farmland pack of 2 that I got from Costco had the worst ribs I have seen! I swear, if there were 3 ribs between both packs that were straight, I would be suprised. I tried to look thru all the packs and I guess I still ended up with a bad choice.

The Farmland here in Northern VA are St. Louis style cut.

Next pack is going to be back at RD.

wallace

Jaybo77
04-01-2013, 04:03 PM
walmart has smithfield in single packes now.i have been geting some good racks there

Podge
04-01-2013, 04:14 PM
95% of the time my rib bones are not straight.. I quit worrying about it.

kpq
04-01-2013, 04:33 PM
I thought smithfield had additives in there meat:decision:

Cayman1
04-01-2013, 04:53 PM
The last Farmland pack of 2 that I got from Costco had the worst ribs I have seen! I swear, if there were 3 ribs between both packs that were straight, I would be suprised. I tried to look thru all the packs and I guess I still ended up with a bad choice.

The Farmland here in Northern VA are St. Louis style cut.

Next pack is going to be back at RD.

wallace
Farmland has a couple different names for their spares. I just bought 4 packages of St. Louis cut and was very impressed with the quality and straightness of the bones. Probably depends on the area of the country and how many pork packing plants there are close by.

Pappy Q
04-01-2013, 06:57 PM
95% of the time my rib bones are not straight.. I quit worrying about it.

You might want to see your doctor for some x-rays

sdbbq1234
04-01-2013, 06:58 PM
Farmland has a couple different names for their spares. I just bought 4 packages of St. Louis cut and was very impressed with the quality and straightness of the bones. Probably depends on the area of the country and how many pork packing plants there are close by.

I agree in that maybe I passed judgement to quickly. I have had other packs and they were pretty good.

We will give them anther shot.

wallace

CivilWarBBQ
04-01-2013, 09:53 PM
The middle rack on cryo triplets is always bad, regardless of brand. No big deal, you need practice ribs right? Just set the center rack aside for non-judges occasions. They'll still taste just as good!

BigBellyBen77
04-01-2013, 11:40 PM
I've actually had really good luck with Sam's club Spare ribs. The last ones I bought were all 3 great racks with straight bones. Usually if you look through them you can find some pretty good ones. Also they'll bring more out of the back for you if you'd like.