PDA

View Full Version : 3 Bay Sink Question for Comps

Biged92
03-28-2013, 02:31 AM
ME and a buddy have put together a BBQ team and will be competing in our first comp on the 6th of April in Wildomar, CA. Since this is our first comp, we decided not to participate in Peoples Choice, where a 3 bay sink is required by the HD.

My question is, what is allowable for a 3 bay sink when participating in Peoples Choice?

I see quite a few people use 3 bus tubs with a portable Coleman hot water heater. I have seen sinks on trailers, and specialized rigs. Since we're just starting to compete, we do not have any extravagant equipment. We basically have 2 to 3 tents, some WSM's, etc. Knowing were going to need some sort of hot water source regardless, we went ahead and built this portable sink unit.

http://www.thankthelardbbq.com/images/Sink2.jpg

This sink is a self contained unit that has hot water on demand, 5 gallon fresh water tank, and a 7 gallon grey water tank. The water is pumped by a small water pump that is powered by a 12 volt lawnmower battery. Does anyone have any ideas based on experience whether or not this would be acceptable by the HD?

Any help or guidance would be great. Thanks

-Big Ed

Yleekyoti
03-28-2013, 03:56 AM
That looks nice..I use an elec turkey roaster for a hot sink and tubs for rinse. That setup you built should more than adequate!

roksmith
03-28-2013, 05:36 AM
Each health department has it's own requirements, so you would need to check with them, but I agree.. at first glance, that setup looks pretty good.

Muzzlebrake
03-28-2013, 06:13 AM
I know CA contests can have some strict regs when it come to PC. I would hunk you are OK but no garuantees.

I'm glad you don't think of that setup as extravagant. That thing is kick-ass!

Smoke'n Ice
03-28-2013, 06:25 AM
The only thing that may be required is a splash guard between the hand wash sink and the the others and lables for the sinks. ie. wash - rinse - sanitize.

nthole
03-28-2013, 06:30 AM
Wow. Around here most people just have bus tubs or even buckets. That's pretty fancy.

The one thing I've noted just from a business perspective is the rule that everything you use that touches food must be able to fully submerge in the sink. Those look like normal sinks so large cutting boards, knives or fully sheet pans wouldn't fit.

That said, I've never seen someone at a comp who could accomodate that rule so I think you'd be fine!

Sweet setup!

CBQ
03-28-2013, 06:39 AM
Generally, most teams don't have something as elaborate as what you built, it should be more the adequate. We compete at Harpoon in Vermont where teams vend to the general public, and there the health department wants you to have 3 bays, and be able to produce hot water that is 120 degrees. A tub, and a cooler with hot water does the trick for most teams. You should be fine.

If the health department was really picky and you were in the catering business, they may want a larger grey water tank (where I am it has to be 50% larger than the fresh water) and a separator between the hand wash sink and the others. Since you just doing a people's choice, you most likely won't need to worry about that sort of thing.

We use one of the two units pictured below, but we are way over the top anyway, so you shouldn't really need to go that route. :becky:

The stainless unit has an RV hot water heater, RV pump, 12v battery, 10 gallons of fresh, 15 gallons of grey, 3 wash sinks and a handwash sink. It has a small 12v battery to run the pump. The trailer is 2 bays, 6 gallon pressure tank, 20 gallon grey water, and a tankless hot water heater that uses the motion of the water to generate it's own power. Both can also run off a water supply from a hose.

cpw
03-28-2013, 12:25 PM
Generally, most teams don't have something as elaborate as what you built, it should be more the adequate. We compete at Harpoon in Vermont where teams vend to the general public, and there the health department wants you to have 3 bays, and be able to produce hot water that is 120 degrees. A tub, and a cooler with hot water does the trick for most teams. You should be fine.

If the health department was really picky and you were in the catering business, they may want a larger grey water tank (where I am it has to be 50% larger than the fresh water) and a separator between the hand wash sink and the others. Since you just doing a people's choice, you most likely won't need to worry about that sort of thing.

We use one of the two units pictured below, but we are way over the top anyway, so you shouldn't really need to go that route. :becky:

The stainless unit has an RV hot water heater, RV pump, 12v battery, 10 gallons of fresh, 15 gallons of grey, 3 wash sinks and a handwash sink. It has a small 12v battery to run the pump. The trailer is 2 bays, 6 gallon pressure tank, 20 gallon grey water, and a tankless hot water heater that uses the motion of the water to generate it's own power. Both can also run off a water supply from a hose.

Can I ask about the stainless unit? How big, How much $$, and where'd you get it?

That's a sweet setup.

Pole D
03-28-2013, 01:09 PM
Oh boy. I guess we may be in trouble. We don't have a 3 bay sink. In fact we don't even have a single sink.

We trim everything at home so that part is taken care of. We rub and sauce in disposable aluminum pans. Cut everything on disposable cutting boards and then put all of the knives and brushes in a Rubbermaid container to take home to wash.

Are we risking getting DQ'd?

cpw
03-28-2013, 01:20 PM
Oh boy. I guess we may be in trouble. We don't have a 3 bay sink. In fact we don't even have a single sink.

We trim everything at home so that part is taken care of. We rub and sauce in disposable aluminum pans. Cut everything on disposable cutting boards and then put all of the knives and brushes in a Rubbermaid container to take home to wash.

Are we risking getting DQ'd?

Most places will let you get away with just having 3 individual containers, be it bus tubs or buckets or whatever. At most SCBA contests, all you need is water that is able to continuously run with soap and paper towels.

Andrews
03-28-2013, 01:47 PM
They might demand a plate/wall between the hand wash and the three compartment.

That unit may get you through!

You also may need screens, check with Henry to see if he has the HD contact info for that event. call the HD to make sure.

Pole D
03-28-2013, 01:55 PM
Can you use aluminum foil pans as your tubs?

Andrews
03-28-2013, 01:58 PM

I would think not, too many crevices

CBQ
04-09-2013, 02:32 PM
Can I ask about the stainless unit? How big, How much $$, and where'd you get it?

That's a sweet setup.

Apollo Carts made ours. They custom build stuff for food vendors, so it's got a lot of NSF components. (Since it's customer, it's not certified as a unit by NSF.)

It was around $2500, since it's all stainless and I had a lot of custom stuff done, but they have stock units for less than that. There is another recent sink post on here where someone built one at home and is selling it for like $450 or around that.

CBQ
04-09-2013, 02:36 PM
They might demand a plate/wall between the hand wash and the three compartment.

That unit may get you through!

You also may need screens, check with Henry to see if he has the HD contact info for that event. call the HD to make sure.

We have a wall that goes between the hand wash sink and the rest of them. It detaches and goes inside for transit. We actually never bother to use it, and we have never been asked if we even have one or not by a health inspector. Generally, when health departments inspect for people's choice, they are looking for basic sanitation and they don't expect you to meet the same standards of a commercial kitchen. If you are doing catering, however, you will be held to a higher standard.

CBQ
04-09-2013, 02:40 PM

I don't know about crevices, but I don't think they will hold up once you start knocking dishes around in them. Get resin bus bins (http://www.webstaurantstore.com/3425/bus-tubs-bus-boxes.html), they are cheap and sturdy.