PDA

View Full Version : Hey, didn't come in DAL! First BBQ comp

smolderingbbq
03-24-2013, 09:14 PM
:clap: I am excited to announce that Smoldering Bear Barbecue Co. made it out of our first BBQ competition...alive! lol. Through miserable weather, stress, confusion, alcohol and no sleep, and a stringy cooked to hell brisket I can honestly say that competition BBQ is one of the coolest experiences I have ever been a part of in my life. The people that you meet and the knowledge that is gained is invaluable. We will compete in one more this year in September and Can't freaking wait!! Just wanted to share...:bow:

Qbert60
03-24-2013, 09:32 PM
You have officially been hit/bit by the BBQ bug. It's only up from here!!!

bbqbull
03-24-2013, 09:55 PM
Congrats on having the intestinal fortitude to attend your first contest.
Our first contest was in 2001. Horrible weather....5 thunderstorms went through that nite and we were calf deep in water!!!
We went humbled, half scared and nervous as heck.
We too did not finish DAL. What a life expierence for sure.

Kave Dweller
03-24-2013, 11:00 PM
Congrats, it will change ya.

Hawg Father of Seoul
03-25-2013, 06:50 AM
Good job!!

A good idea is write down as much of your impressions about the event now. It may save you from repeating the same mistakes. I know I wish I had. I had to do the exact same thing twice. lol

Ron_L
03-25-2013, 06:56 AM
Congrats on making it through the first one! They do get easier :-D

Have you scheduled the next one?

sdbbq1234
03-25-2013, 07:25 AM
Congrats!! We did our first comp last year and also did not finish DAL. Kind gives you a new sense of confidence.

It's all up hill from here.

If you were like us, the prepping and practicing helped big time!

wallace

Smokin' Hicks
03-25-2013, 07:58 AM
38 degrees, 30 mph winds, side ways rain, no side walls on tent, no heater, no electricity, no stoker type device for smoker, huge offset stick burner that had to be refueled almost every hour cause we found it had a huge rust hole in the fire box, with just a couple table clothes to keep my partner and I "warm" if that's what you want to call it....no DAL so it was a success.....couldn't wait to do our next one....it's a disease....horrible conditions, not prepared and to much to drink after all that the first thing I said was, when are we doing our next one? :) this is the best advice i can give you, wish somebody gave it to me when we started out... if you are married start to explain to your wife right now why all the money in the bank account starts to drain when a competition gets close to go time.... expensive hobby but worth every penny

tnjimbob
03-25-2013, 08:07 AM
Congrats on surviving your first comp, and a bonus that you didn't finish DAL! Be sure to take lots of notes while the experience is still fresh in your mind. Apply what you have learned, and especially check your packing list for things that you might have left at home that you needed and things that you took that you could live without for the next comp.

cpw
03-25-2013, 08:09 AM
^^^^Do this!! If you had any success at all with this comp, write down what you did to earn that success so you can replicate it next time.

CBQ
03-25-2013, 08:35 AM
If you are married, bring your wife. We do on our team, and our wives started out by watching, but now make real contributions to our success. They know our processes, and do some things better then the guys. By being involved, my wife not only doesn't object to the expense, but actually bugs me to make sure we are buying enough BBQ supplies. Makes it a lot easier that way. :becky:

Welcome to the strange world of competition barbecue. I can't really explain what's compelling about standing in a field lighting fires, but it's a great experience. We started with one contest a year in 2006 and 2007. Last year we did 17.

jmoney7269
03-25-2013, 09:13 AM
If you are married, bring your wife. We do on our team, and our wives started out by watching, but now make real contributions to our success. They know our processes, and do some things better then the guys. By being involved, my wife not only doesn't object to the expense, but actually bugs me to make sure we are buying enough BBQ supplies. Makes it a lot easier that way. :becky: Welcome to the strange world of competition BBQ

Well said, +1 my wife and I used to fight so much at cookoffs, now that she is involved, we have a rock solid approach
Congrats on your first comp!

smokinrack
03-25-2013, 09:48 AM
If you are married, bring your wife. We do on our team, and our wives started out by watching, but now make real contributions to our success. They know our processes, and do some things better then the guys. By being involved, my wife not only doesn't object to the expense, but actually bugs me to make sure we are buying enough BBQ supplies. Makes it a lot easier that way. :becky:

Welcome to the strange world of competition barbecue. I can't really explain what's compelling about standing in a field lighting fires, but it's a great experience. We started with one contest a year in 2006 and 2007. Last year we did 17.

what he said!!

Did our first one last year, bout 100 degrees out all day and a thunderstorm, high winds, and tornado warning that night.stayed up drinking beers and cooking for about 48 hours straight, and not garnishing our boxes cost us a lotttta points but still not DAL.Sunday morning trying to dry things out and pack them back up i asked my wife what she was doing, she said making a list of things we need for next year:whoo:

Some reason what would be a miserable situation doing anything else is just fun when you got fire, smoke, meat, beer, and a couple hundred strangers to visit with.Hoping to get into a few more this year:wink:

Cast Iron Chef
03-25-2013, 09:51 AM
Congrats. You are in deep now

BBQ Church
03-25-2013, 11:17 AM
Welcome to the fun! We did our first contest last year just to see what it was all about. We are cooking 6 or 7 this year. The bug bites hard. Enjoy

hcj3rd
03-25-2013, 11:34 AM
My wife and I are the cooking team. She has the bug almost as bad as me. Congrats on your 1st competition.

smolderingbbq
03-25-2013, 12:49 PM
Thanks! Trying to decide on one in June or September. Probably going with the later (better weather). ; )

smolderingbbq
03-25-2013, 01:06 PM
HOLY smokes thank you for all the support! This is why I am loving this new lifestyle. You folks are truly special! I feel like I am a part of one HUGE family now. Thanks!