PDA

View Full Version : Heading to Tuscaloosa Al...

mytmouz
03-24-2013, 12:53 PM
Any good places? Doesn't have to be strictly que related...

rcbaughn
03-25-2013, 12:23 PM
Well I'd recommend Catfish Heaven for one, they have really great fried catfish as the name implies I guess. And if you are willing to make a 15 minute drive I'd go to the Pigg Shack or Archibald's, with preference towards Archibald's for sure. It's a bit north of Tuscaloosa in Northport but it's a really short drive. Definitely worth it. Pigg Shack is a bit further away south than Archibald's is. I'd stay away from Dreamland though. It's way overhyped and the food isn't at all that great, especially for the prices they charge. Here's an article on Archibald's.

The Southern BBQ Trail: Archibald's (http://www.southernbbqtrail.com/archibalds_bbq.shtml)

But if your not doing dinner or anything and need something quick and want to stay right in the heart of the Alabama campus, Jimmy John's for lunch. I know Jimmy John's is a chain, but they have great subs for a quick lunch and was absolutely the best late night drunk food ever when I went to go have some fun with some fraternity brothers at Alabama. We'd make the trip to there from our chapter at UAB to get away from Birmingham on game day weekends.

***EDIT*** - Or if your passing through Birmingham on the way through, skip all the Q in T-town and make a stop at Saw's BBQ in Homewood. Give me a holler if you do and I'll meet you there for sure! Best BBQ in B'ham if you ask me. Great, great stuff.

mytmouz
03-26-2013, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the reply. Archibalds is closed on Modays, so we went to Dreamland. My brother (whom I was visiting), lives a short distance from Pigg Shack, drove by it to get to his house and around several times, but didnt get a chance to check it out.

rcbaughn
03-26-2013, 08:38 PM
How was Dreamland? I have heard that the one in T-town is a bit better than the one in Birmingham. I hope it was good though, then again I guess any Q when your hungry is edible no doubt! LOL.

And sorry about Archibald's being closed, I should've looked up the days and hours before I recommended it like that.

-Cory

Bill-Chicago
03-26-2013, 09:16 PM
There was a time here on the very early Brethren (I'd guesstimate 200 users with 50 active, prior to surpasing the Pit Crew membership) in which we really got into Dreamland sauce for dipping pulled pork.

We were ordering it by the case, sharing it at Bash's, gifting it to each other, etc. User MikeG turned us onto it (along with Southern Flavor seasoning) as he would drive through T-Town on his was home to Selma.

Is Tuscaloosa the original Dreamland location?

It is the only mustard vinegar sauce I can take, as us Yankee's had not been exposed to that type of sauce on a regular basis in the early last decade.

Thanks for the memories you brought back!

Now I need to order me up some Southern Flavor CharBroil seasoning!

rcbaughn
03-27-2013, 03:01 AM
Tuscaloosa is the original. People say it is better than the others, but I'm not sure. I hope that it was good though, I'd hate for someone to have to suffer through bad que!

And I'll have to get some of their sauce for pulled pork. I have some in the freezer right now that I could thaw out to try it with. :)

frognot
03-27-2013, 05:57 AM
Have only been to the Dreamland in Birmingham but i thought it was pretty good que. Bought a t-shirt but didn't buy the sauce. Sounds like i should have.

i still have the bottle of Southern Flavor that i received in 2004 after joining the Brethren. Was that from you, Bill?

Bill-Chicago
03-27-2013, 10:11 AM
Was that from you, Bill?

Mighta been.

But WTF are you still doing with it?

Dude, that was 9 friggin years ago

:caked:

Bigdog
03-27-2013, 11:23 AM
Mighta been.

No kidding man, I've reordered that stuff many times since then. Haven't used it lately as I'm trying to cut down on my salt intake.

Bill-Chicago
03-27-2013, 11:26 AM
No kidding man, I've reordered that stuff many times since then. Haven't used it lately as I'm trying to cut down on my salt intake.

Welcome.

Go To Cattle Call

little bit of r & r
03-27-2013, 05:55 PM
Dreamland pretty good que? Seriously I ordered ribs and couldn't even eat it like trying to chew on leather we will have our bbq trailer open next weekend so all the restaurants better watch out:twisted:

frognot
03-27-2013, 07:13 PM
Mighta been.

It's been empty for quite a while but i've still got the bottle with the sticker that says "Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!!! From The Brethren"

Sentimental packrat mod

mytmouz
03-27-2013, 08:30 PM
It was about what I was expecting, unfortunately, I was not wrong, lol...

TuscaloosaQ
03-31-2013, 04:01 PM
Man I hate I saw this late I live in Tuscaloosa..... Dreamland Sux!!!!!!! It use to be good 25 years ago since the old man died it did too!!!!!!!!