PDA

View Full Version : Pork Presentation Question

John Bowen
03-22-2013, 08:47 AM
Going through some of my past pork presentation pictures I have noticed that the pulled pork and the money muscle look like they are starting to dry out a little. This is at the time right before we close the box so I can imagine what it looks like say 10 – 15 minutes later.
When I do my pork box I make a mixture of the strained wrap liquid and add some of our BBQ sauce. I dip the pork into that before I put in the box.
Does anyone have any suggestions for a better finishing technique?

cpw
03-22-2013, 09:31 AM
We always spritz with some hot water (or other mixture) right before we close the box. Gives a nice sheen to the meat.

kyleness
03-22-2013, 09:50 AM
Oil or rendered fat also work well and it does not evaporate. I have added a little bit of olive oil in the past to my sauce to give it extra sheen. Water evaporates and or drips off and it can leave your food looking dry, oils do not. I have also mixed bacon grease with near boiling bbq sauce and dipped my meat in that. It works well at smaller competitions but you run the risk of that fat turning back to a solid state prior to the judges seeing it. I just add a Tbs or two of something like olive oil or garlic oil per cup of bbq sauce I make and I have had good results with that.

kenthanson
03-22-2013, 09:54 AM
Mix water with agave nectar and spritz it on.

jketron
03-22-2013, 10:01 AM
Mix water with agave nectar and spritz it on.

as stated or along the same lines is add some honey/agave necar to your finishing sauce. The honey add a nice shine that lasts, just let it mess up whatever flavor profile you are looking for.

John Bowen
03-22-2013, 10:15 AM
On our next test run I will try that, but I would think I get the same affect by dipping in our finishing sauce mixture. Awhile back I had read about a mix with vineger. Has anyone tried something like that?

CBQ
03-22-2013, 12:01 PM
On our next test run I will try that, but I would think I get the same affect by dipping in our finishing sauce mixture. Awhile back I had read about a mix with vineger. Has anyone tried something like that?

Vinegar is a classic pork flavor, and I like it, but there is always a judge or two that won't, so I try to avoid it.

Southern Home Boy
03-22-2013, 04:28 PM
I do what you do. I think the trick is to keep it as hot as you can for as long as you can. Thedrippings are mostly fat anyway, so as long as it doesn't cool too muchit will stay nice and shiny.

John Bowen
03-22-2013, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the input – we strain the fat from the drippings and mix a few tablespoons of our finishing sauce in there. Then we bring it to a simmer and right before turn in we dip the medallions in there and then spoon some over the pulled part. We toss that around and place the pulled in the box.

I want to test it with more of the finishing sauce but I don’t want to over sauce the pork – just to keep it moist.