PDA

View Full Version : Testing various spice rubs

sdbbq1234
03-20-2013, 08:43 PM
Ok, so after we attended the 3Eyz and Swamp Boys comp class a couple of weeks ago, we brought home about 400 different spice rubs. Well, maybe not 400, but the TSA folks thought we were nuts carrying all the bottles on the plane.

Anyway, we are looking for some recommendations as to the best way to try these out. We cannot afford to test them on briskets, ribs and butts; chicken, yes can handle that.

But, anybody have any ideas on testing spice mixtures when smoking without going full-blown into the brisket, butt and rib cooks?

Thanks in advance.

wallace

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
03-20-2013, 09:00 PM
I use country style ribs, which around here are cut from a butt. Fairly economical and cook pretty fast.

cameraman
03-20-2013, 09:09 PM
I use country style ribs, which around here are cut from a butt. Fairly economical and cook pretty fast.

Good idea, but not to be dense :confused: but how do you keep track of what's what?

bigabyte
03-20-2013, 09:13 PM
Toothpicks.

Zero = Rub1
One = Rub2
and so forth

You can even use color coded toothpicks, although I never had trouble using regular ones. I would even arrange them in patterns. You'll find a way if you think about it.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
03-20-2013, 09:15 PM
Good idea, but not to be dense :confused: but how do you keep track of what's what?

I never try more than I can remember to keep track of - three or four at the most. Good question if I had many more than that.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
03-20-2013, 09:16 PM
Toothpicks.

Zero = Rub1
One = Rub2
and so forth

You can even use color coded toothpicks

Good idea. Thanks.

QTEX
03-20-2013, 10:52 PM
Dont do more than two at a time and best if you have a couple more people to give you input, this way you cook and throw away less bbq.

cameraman
03-20-2013, 11:42 PM
Simple and effective. Thanks Chris. :clap2:

didisea
03-21-2013, 12:57 PM
If you are testing ribs, I use toothpicks to start, then when they are foiled, I use a sharpie to write on the foil which rub is on them. You can also use bamboo skewers, long and short and butchers twine/string.

Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
03-21-2013, 03:17 PM
Maybe get some loin and cut it into thirds?

Big Ugly's BBQ
03-21-2013, 03:39 PM
You only need one................8-)

bigabyte
03-21-2013, 03:43 PM
I always had best results with country style ribs. They are cut from a butt, and I would cook them like a butt until they were pullable tender. You could cut down a whole butt if you can do that to save money, but I just picked up the precut ones. I would cut them in half or thirds depending on how much I was testing and how big a sample of each flavor I needed.

Thermal Mass
03-21-2013, 04:30 PM
RD sells the plain wooden marking picks (large like a steak flag), they can be marked on.
Have seen them used for marking various deli, sandwich, burgers, and even steaks.
:wink:

Crash
03-22-2013, 01:49 AM
Buttered popcorn.....really.

sdbbq1234
03-22-2013, 09:40 AM
You only need one................8-)

LOL! Heaven knows, I got a bunch, now!

wallace

sdbbq1234
03-22-2013, 09:44 AM
All, thanks for the feedback. The tooth pick and country style ribs sounds really good. I especially like the country style ribs idea and the fact that they will have similar taste as the butt. (ok, that sounded really funky.............)

Any ideas on beef?

Thanks.

wallace

kyleness
03-22-2013, 10:09 AM
Why not just take a brisket, cut it into 1" cubes, season each cube with a different rub and cook? Any other roast or anything that you try is going to be more expensive than a brisket. You will have some dry chunks because of the lack of marbling everywhere (unless you buy Wagyu....but you wanted cheap). That should at least get you narrowed down to a select few rubs that you like that you may want to try on a larger scale. Good thing also, the cubes will cook in only a few hours as well.

bigabyte
03-22-2013, 11:23 AM
You can also do chuckies for beef.

DUBBAGA
03-22-2013, 11:29 AM
Around here the "Korean-style" Flanken Short Ribs are always on sale at the Mexican grocery stores. They are typically well marbled, and would be good for testing beef rubs.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50390

Southern Home Boy
03-22-2013, 04:22 PM
Oue of ways I can think of to do this:
Pork: pork steaks. For those of you NOT from the midwest, porksteaks are just a boston butt slicedinto steaks. Cook'emthe same way yiu would a butt, but much shorter time frame.

Ribs: just trim up a few slabs of spares and cut each slab into a few sections of two or three bones each.

Chicken: wings.

Southern Home Boy
03-22-2013, 04:24 PM
Oh... and I agree about chuckies for the beef.

sdbbq1234
03-22-2013, 10:40 PM
You can also do chuckies for beef.

Chris,
Your new avatar, uummmmmm, what the hella was this thread about?? My appetite has turned away from BBQ for the time being. :mrgreen:

Thanks!

wallace

sdbbq1234
03-26-2013, 07:21 PM
Chris,
Change your avatar back!!!

Back to the regularly scheduled program.

Tried the 3-Eyz spice mix and used their recipe from the class (rub and injection) we took a few weeks ago on a 10lb butt, minus the meat glaze/sauce at the end. I always like to try recipes on their own merit and then add to them, if needed; we didn't have time to do the glaze/sauce at the end.

AMAZING!!! Excellent and tasty without over powering which I tend to do using our own spice mixtures.

This coming weekend, chicken, ribs and chuckies using 3-Eyz and Big Poppa Money! And, that's on top of the Easter weekend ham!!!!

Man, we still got about 10 more spice mixtures to try! :mrgreen: Tough job, but somebody has to do it.

wallace

porkingINpublic
03-27-2013, 06:54 PM
Send a bunch to me and I'll give you my thoughts on them! :-P