PDA

View Full Version : Donating to Local Food Shelf

Eggspert
03-20-2013, 01:07 PM
I would assume many of you who do competitions often have a lot of left overs that you don't use. (raw or cooked meat). I know a lot of you sell left overs, but I checked with my local food shelf and they are more then happy to take either raw meat that is repackaged or cooked meat left overs. I told them I would vacuum seal and freeze it for them. I encourage all of you to check in your communities as well to see if they would be interested. You can write this off on your taxes at the end of the year as a donation, plus can you imagine how happy some needy people will be to get competition quality BBQ!

Eggspert BBQ

musicmanryann
03-20-2013, 01:27 PM
Yep! Our local shelter loves us, and we maintain space in our deep freeze--its a win-win!

Smoke&HoneyBBQ
03-20-2013, 01:33 PM
Cannot do it here.

Only way it is allowed is if you cooked it on site and pulled permits.

speers90
03-20-2013, 01:48 PM
I would assume many of you who do competitions often have a lot of left overs that you don't use. (raw or cooked meat). I know a lot of you sell left overs, but I checked with my local food shelf and they are more then happy to take either raw meat that is repackaged or cooked meat left overs. I told them I would vacuum seal and freeze it for them. I encourage all of you to check in your communities as well to see if they would be interested. You can write this off on your taxes at the end of the year as a donation, plus can you imagine how happy some needy people will be to get competition quality BBQ!

Eggspert BBQ

Being from Minnesota myself, I am a little surprised that your local food shelf can take repackaged raw meat or cooked leftovers. Last time I checked around here they wouldn't accept either. Maybe I should check again.

K-Train
03-20-2013, 02:31 PM
This is something we started to do last year. We actually got a few teams to also kick in their extra's. It's pretty rewarding.

Eggspert
03-20-2013, 04:56 PM
Being from Minnesota myself, I am a little surprised that your local food shelf can take repackaged raw meat or cooked leftovers. Last time I checked around here they wouldn't accept either. Maybe I should check again.

It might just be an individual food shelf policy. I did also inform her that we are trained in food safety and follow all rules. You might mention that? If we are at a competition with you, we would be happy to take your left overs, vacuum seal them and donate them here in Willmar. If you are interested.

Eggspert BBQ

speers90
03-20-2013, 08:08 PM
It might just be an individual food shelf policy. I did also inform her that we are trained in food safety and follow all rules. You might mention that? If we are at a competition with you, we would be happy to take your left overs, vacuum seal them and donate them here in Willmar. If you are interested.

Eggspert BBQ

I will ask around here again, and if we get no as an answer (again) then I may take you up on your offer.

Kave Dweller
03-20-2013, 08:14 PM
Here outside of Chicago they won't touch it (which pisses me off), I found a homeless shelter that loves it though!

Ron_L
03-20-2013, 08:22 PM
Here outside of Chicago they won't touch it (which pisses me off), I found a homeless shelter that loves it though!

Same by us.

CivilWarBBQ
03-21-2013, 04:36 AM
Most food banks here in Georgia won't take anything that is shelf stable, but homeless shelters are much less choosey.