PDA

View Full Version : Portable Power Source?

Longo1908
03-20-2013, 12:20 PM
Can anyone reccomend a GOOD portable power source to power (1) maybe (2) guru fans for a comp?

RX2006JE
03-20-2013, 12:37 PM
I use Duracell PowerPak 600 for my stoker, no problems with it for the past 2 years

Untraceable
03-20-2013, 12:40 PM
I think Deep cycle battery is your best bet for real power but for powering gurus, I did a bunch of looking into it and on a whim, I tried seeing how long a pair of 6V batteries would power my DigiQ DX and 10cfm fan. did 2 7hr cooks on one set of batteries on my BWS, and last weekend I did a 15hr cook (16hr run time) on a 22"wsm in 15 degree weather and it still had power. Honestly, Im not even worried about using 6v's anymore. And I was using the cheapest 6v twin pack of rayovacs I could buy. like 6.50 for the 2.
*edit* Ive actually done 4 battery power cooks. ran battery power at the Fire On Ice competition. 8 below when I fired the BWS up and had it running for 9hrs before I pulled the plug. no problems

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b616/supertraining/EBB2DF24-F5CE-4419-9062-8A43A7E3DFFD-443-00000268A65A37F4_zps7b660c3b.jpg

ibrisky
03-20-2013, 01:15 PM
+1 for the Duracell Powerpack 600 when needed.

Have used it with a stoker, rope lights, radio and fan with no problems.

http://www.duracellpower.com/backup-power/power-packs/powerpack-600.aspx

TheJackal
03-20-2013, 01:49 PM
untraceable, did you use two batteries because you wired them in series to give yourself a 12V battery? Or did you wire them in parallel to give you longer run time?

I have the Xantrex 600HD powerpack (same as the Duracell mentioned above). It has a 480W inverter and a 28ah battery. Should be plenty for the guru. If you know how many amps/watts it draws you can calculate exactly how much time to expect form it.

I just did a test with it last night and it ran my Yoder YS640 for 4.5 hours. Pretty much what I expected but not enough for a whole competition so I used the supplied jumper cables with the Xantrex and attached a car battery I had lying around and it went for another 7 hours (and was still going). It's nice to know you can power what you need if there is an issue at a comp or if the comp does not supply power.

smokinit
03-20-2013, 01:58 PM
Seems a bit pricey got a nice 4000 watt geny at Harbour Freight for $50 more

Smoke&HoneyBBQ
03-20-2013, 02:07 PM

Except for if the comp has a noise rule and tells you to shut it down in the middle of the night.

Smoke&HoneyBBQ
03-20-2013, 02:08 PM
Probably overkill for just a guru but I just did a Trip Lite 750, deep cycle battery, cables, and a fuse for about 400.

Figured enough to run the Yoder and a light for 10 hours without a problem.

jbrink01
03-20-2013, 02:11 PM
Sears Die Hard Inverter Starter / Charger

Untraceable
03-20-2013, 02:13 PM
series wired to jump up to 12v. guru even gives you a small jumper to conect 2 batteries with the 12v power cable you can buy from them.

I figure 4x a year I need battery power so its not too bad. if I was doing 15 comps a year, then a bigger battery would make more sense

Untraceable
03-20-2013, 02:14 PM
oh to add to the discussion, I emailed Guru once and they said at pull draw, the 10cfm fan pulled .67a

TheJackal
03-20-2013, 02:15 PM

?? Amazon has the duracell for $147. I think I got the Xantrex for less than that. Also, I did not buy it for this purpose, I already had it. Duracell DRPP600 Powerpack 600 Jump Starter and Emergency Power Source : Amazon.com : Automotive

When did you get a 4000W generator for less than $200 and what contest lets you run a generator all night?

Untraceable
03-20-2013, 02:17 PM
one thing other than the cost of the power packs was reading the reviews of them on amazon. lots of problems reported. Id rather buy a deep cycle battery than a power pack

Smoke&HoneyBBQ
03-20-2013, 02:27 PM
one thing other than the cost of the power packs was reading the reviews of them on amazon. lots of problems reported. Id rather buy a deep cycle battery than a power pack

read the reivews on inverters and you will get the impression they are pure crap too.

Untraceable
03-20-2013, 03:17 PM
Touche

HawgNationBBQ
03-20-2013, 03:36 PM
Lasts all weekend.

didisea
03-20-2013, 03:39 PM
I used the jump starter battery I got a Costco for $70, plus the DC adaptor from BBQ Guru. BBQ Guru folks recommended an even cheaper one from Wal-mart that was around $49.

Podge
03-20-2013, 04:09 PM
I have one of these.. been using it at competitions for quite awhile now. Does well!!

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=700551

TheJackal
03-20-2013, 04:10 PM
Lasts all weekend.

That one is cheaper than the Duracell/Xantrex for sure. It has a 400w inverter with a 17Ah battery as opposed to a 480w inverter with a 28Ah battery.

swamprb
03-20-2013, 10:52 PM
Duracell 600

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/IMG_6036.jpg

Just use it to run 2 Gurus which it will do fine. Still going strong on its 3rd year.

Tried to run a string of rope lights and a clamp on with a CFC flood bulb, it only lasted an hour fully charged.

Longo1908
03-21-2013, 01:59 AM
I see the Duracell is used by many, have you personally ran it overnight with 2 gurus?

swamprb
03-21-2013, 07:27 AM
I see the Duracell is used by many, have you personally ran it overnight with 2 gurus?

Yes

BGE's & WSM's 10 cfm fans

Dragline
03-21-2013, 07:35 AM
I have one of these.. been using it at competitions for quite awhile now. Does well!!

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=700551

Ditto to Podge have same setup powering two 10cfm & Guru on my Fatboys works fine never had an issue with loss of power

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jbrink01
03-21-2013, 07:44 AM
Just saw this thing......
http://www.lowes.com/pd_437234-47615-MPV-710_?Ntt=raven&UserSearch=raven&productId=4349395&rpp=32&cm_mmc=display_Turner-_-2013_March_Madness_Live-_-l-_-OPE_Raven

LOL...

TheJackal
03-21-2013, 07:49 AM
Two items to note on the Duracell 600. 1 -- it takes about 35 hours to recharge. Mine has been recharging for 24hrs and it is still going. 2 -- the unit needs to be off while charging. Meaning you can't use it like a ups and leave it plugged in during a comp and just use it as a backup in case power fails.

Jaskew82
03-21-2013, 07:51 AM

This is my thought process

Ron_L
03-21-2013, 07:54 AM
Sears Die Hard Inverter Starter / Charger

Do you have a model number, Jeff?

Muzzlebrake
03-21-2013, 08:20 AM
You can buy a lot of things cheaply @ Harbor Freight, let me know how that works out for you. Those generators are typically very loud and do not always produce clean power. I wouldn't plug any of my electronics into one. The control boards on many of the cookers and/or draft controllers need to have good, constant clean power which is not always the strong suit for inexpensive generators.

I bought a Champion 2000W quiet run @ Sam's a couple of years ago and it works OK. The fuel lines tend to gum up quickly if you aren't using good gas. Running premium seems to help a lot.

Batteries are rated in Ampere Hours (Ah), look at the spec sheet find what it is rated for then divided that by the amps the unit uses and this will give you a ballpark figure on how long they should last. An earlier post listed the Guru @ .67A so since you have 2 let's say 1.5A, add in some room for loss if you are using an inverter, call it 2amps. The Duracell rated @ 28Ah should then give you approximatly 14 hours of run time. To be safe I would only count on about 60-75% of that number so I think you should easily be able to get 8-10 hours on a charge, more than enough for a contest.

Just keep in mind that most of these power packs are designed to use as jump starters and not provide long term power. You can go online and buy small batteries like the ones used in a home alarm system that will give you better performance.

TheJackal
03-21-2013, 08:48 AM
Batteries are rated in Ampere Hours (Ah), look at the spec sheet find what it is rated for then divided that by the amps the unit uses and this will give you a ballpark figure on how long they should last. An earlier post listed the Guru @ .67A so since you have 2 let's say 1.5A, add in some room for loss if you are using an inverter, call it 2amps. The Duracell rated @ 28Ah should then give you approximatly 14 hours of run time. To be safe I would only count on about 60-75% of that number so I think you should easily be able to get 8-10 hours on a charge, more than enough for a contest.

You are assuming the guru fans are running at 100% the entire time. You could probably guesstimate more like 50% or even less (33%?) which would double/triple your runtime (obvious factors impacting this assumption is weather, cooker, fuel, etc).

I follow your math but I found you need to just test it yourself to be sure. If you read the Duracell (Duracell is a rebadged Xantrex) manual, you will notice They have a chart on page 15:
http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Backup-Power/powerpack-600/XPower_600HDPP(975-0213-01-01_Rev-C).pdf
A 60W television (same as a 60W lightbulb) shows runtime of 4.5 hours. 60W is .5 amps constant (watts = amps x volts). This is consistent with my finding. According to Yoder, the YS640 draws .5 amps constant (higher for 5-6 minutes during ignition). The powerpack lasted me slightly over 4.5 hours which is what I expected based on the chart in the manual.

ique
03-21-2013, 08:53 AM
You can buy a lot of things cheaply @ Harbor Freight, let me know how that works out for you. Those generators are typically very loud and do not always produce clean power. I wouldn't plug any of my electronics into one. The control boards on many of the cookers and/or draft controllers need to have good, constant clean power which is not always the strong suit for inexpensive generators.

I bought a Champion 2000W quiet run @ Sam's a couple of years ago and it works OK. The fuel lines tend to gum up quickly if you aren't using good gas. Running premium seems to help a lot.

Just keep in mind that most of these power packs are designed to use as jump starters and not provide long term power. You can go online and buy small batteries like the ones used in a home alarm system that will give you better performance.

How much do you think a Yoder Pellet cooker draws (with the igniter disconnected)? I have a Champion 2000 as well but am interested in a quiet option for running Yoder + a Guru.

TheJackal
03-21-2013, 08:56 AM
How much do you think a Yoder Pellet cooker draws (with the igniter disconnected)? I have a Champion 2000 as well but am interested in a quiet option for running Yoder + a Guru.

Chris-

The YS640 uses .75 amp of power at startup, 2.25 amp of power during ignition and then .50 amp thereafter. The big power hog is the igniter. Fortunately, you can manually ignite your smoker and bypass the igniter altogether. That would be the "least power way". Here are instructions for that:

1. Remove the cooking grates, heat diffuser & the burn grate.
2. Reach into the hopper cavity on the left side of the igniter tube and pull the igniter wires into the firebox.
3. Unplug the igniters weather tight connection and then push the wires back into the hopper cavity.
4. Reinstall the burn grate & place a small handful of pellets onto the grate.
5. Light the pellets with a torch, starter gel or starter stick.
6. Once lit, turn the power switch to the on position and allow the fan to run across the fire.
7. If the flame continues to develop press the start button and reassemble the grill.

Hope that helps!

The Yoder runs 4.5 hours on the Duracell powerpack. After that, I hooked it up to a spare car battery I had. It continued to run for another 7 hours and was still going before I ended my test. I'll be using the powerpack plus car battery in Staten Island.

Funtimebbq
03-21-2013, 08:56 AM
Two items to note on the Duracell 600. 1 -- it takes about 35 hours to recharge. Mine has been recharging for 24hrs and it is still going. 2 -- the unit needs to be off while charging. Meaning you can't use it like a ups and leave it plugged in during a comp and just use it as a backup in case power fails.

I did use my Duracell in that fashion for the first 2 years I had it without any issues. I stopped when others mentioned it should not be done that way. I have used it since then for another couple years as a stand alone for one Stoker and two 10 cfm fans. It has also lasted over a two contests weekend without recharging.

ique
03-21-2013, 09:02 AM
Chris-

The YS640 uses .75 amp of power at startup, 2.25 amp of power during ignition and then .50 amp thereafter. The big power hog is the igniter. Fortunately, you can manually ignite your smoker and bypass the igniter altogether. That would be the "least power way". Here are instructions for that:

Thanks Greg, yes I disconnected the igniter. It tended not to play nice with contest power.

So the Yoder in operating mode draws about the same as the Guru? Good to know.

TheJackal
03-21-2013, 09:04 AM
Thanks Greg, yes I disconnected the igniter. It tended not to play nice with contest power.

So the Yoder in operating mode draws about the same as the Guru? Good to know.

In practice the Guru will draw a lot less. The Yoder fans and auger are constantly going. The Guru fan is variable (sometimes off).

Untraceable
03-21-2013, 09:09 AM
start running cost numbers and those 12v 9ah rechargable vexlar batteries and 6v batteries look alot better.

Longo1908
03-21-2013, 09:48 AM
Ill be at Staten Island as well, Im hearing 25 teams

Longo1908
03-21-2013, 10:00 AM

Whats an "UPS" ?

Untraceable
03-21-2013, 10:02 AM
Universal power Supply Im guessing

Muzzlebrake
03-21-2013, 10:16 AM
UPS is an uninterrupted power supply and is designed to provide enough power to be able to safely turn off electronics during a power outage.

Greg,

To your point, don't all of these items require 110VAC? That's going to give you a much different amp draw than basing it on 12VDC. I don't have my Yoder manual available but I thought the igniiter was rated for 1500 watts AC which converts to about 125 amps needed @ 12VDC.

ique
03-21-2013, 10:21 AM
Just bought this: Schumacher XP2260 Instant Portable Power Source : Amazon.com : Automotive

Reviews say it can be plugged in while in use and many seem to get long runs on small appliances. We'll see.

jbrink01
03-21-2013, 11:00 AM
I (and a number of other cooks I know) use these;
http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinum-portable-power-1150-with-jumpstarter-air/p-02871988000P
It's inexpensive peace of mind.

TheJackal
03-21-2013, 11:38 AM
UPS is an uninterrupted power supply and is designed to provide enough power to be able to safely turn off electronics during a power outage.

Greg,

To your point, don't all of these items require 110VAC? That's going to give you a much different amp draw than basing it on 12VDC. I don't have my Yoder manual available but I thought the igniiter was rated for 1500 watts AC which converts to about 125 amps needed @ 12VDC.

My quote above on the Yoder draw is direct form Byron at Yoder less than a month ago. So either the information floating around previously is wrong or it somehow changed with their firmware updates. Either way, I did the test myself. You get ~4.5 hours on the Yoder with the powerpack.

I think you are right on the conversion. I was assuming 120V in the calc but since it is .5 amp draw on 120v AC, and since we are supplying power with a 12V battery with an inverter it is probably logically equivelent to a 50anp draw on the battery. That would give a runtime of approx 5.6 hours minus loss. That's why the Yoder runtime is about 4.5 hours on the powerpack. Thanks for keeping my math straight.

TheJackal
03-21-2013, 11:43 AM
Just bought this: Schumacher XP2260 Instant Portable Power Source : Amazon.com : Automotive (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004EIAADG)

Reviews say it can be plugged in while in use and many seem to get long runs on small appliances. We'll see.

Being able to plug it in is nice. It has a 22Ah battery which is more than the Black and Decker but less than the Duracell. You can probably get about 3 hours and 45 min runtime out of the Yoder with it.

swamprb
03-21-2013, 12:17 PM
If you ever have the pleasure of being setup next to a team running an elcheapo China Freight generator, it should change your mind on ever getting one yourself.

just sayin'

bluzieq
03-21-2013, 07:44 PM
I used the 2 cheap 6v at walmart, on the digi Q with 10 cfm fan I get about 2 1/2 long cooks 10/12 hrs.

CivilWarBBQ
03-21-2013, 10:24 PM
Any computer outlet will sell you UPS unit that contains a sealed gel battery for $50-100. These are sufficient to power a guru or FEC, silent and switch over automatically to battery when the AC power goes out as it often does at a contest.

I work in IT, and it's pretty common for offices to simply replace a small UPS when the internal battery wears out after five years or so. Often you can find units with dead batteries stuck up in a closet somewhere that you can have for free. A quick trip to BatteriesPlus and you can have your power solution for the cost of a new battery, typically $30-40!

TheJackal
03-22-2013, 07:27 AM
Any computer outlet will sell you UPS unit that contains a sealed gel battery for $50-100. These are sufficient to power a guru or FEC, silent and switch over automatically to battery when the AC power goes out as it often does at a contest.

I work in IT, and it's pretty common for offices to simply replace a small UPS when the internal battery wears out after five years or so. Often you can find units with dead batteries stuck up in a closet somewhere that you can have for free. A quick trip to BatteriesPlus and you can have your power solution for the cost of a new battery, typically $30-40!

DO you use a UPS at comps? The general consensus is the UPSs do not play nice with dirty power supplied at comps. They will not pass though and will trip to battery mode even when the power is still on. I have not witnessed this myself but there are several here that have posted and claim this is the case.

ique
04-01-2013, 11:36 AM
Being able to plug it in is nice. It has a 22Ah battery which is more than the Black and Decker but less than the Duracell. You can probably get about 3 hours and 45 min runtime out of the Yoder with it.

Ran a test on this Schumacher XP2260 over the weekend.

Yoder 640 went 6 hrs on a 95% charge on this unit.

BBQBeaver
04-01-2013, 11:41 AM
Ran a test on this Schumacher XP2260 (http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-XP2260-Instant-Portable-Source/dp/B004EIAADG) over the weekend.

Chris, was that including start-up and ignition on the Yoder or did you light another way?

ique
04-01-2013, 11:45 AM
Chris, was that including start-up and ignition on the Yoder or did you light another way?

I have the ignition disconnected. Used a torch to startup.

TheJackal
04-01-2013, 02:10 PM
Wow. That's great. I will need to try it with the manual start. Sounds like that igniter really sucks a lot of juice.

Mornin' Wood
04-01-2013, 07:28 PM
I have the ignition disconnected. Used a torch to startup.
How hard is it to reconnect it?

Chuck

big brother smoke
04-02-2013, 01:05 AM
Ran a test on this Schumacher XP2260 (http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-XP2260-Instant-Portable-Source/dp/B004EIAADG) over the weekend.

I bought one too. Used it this weekend for my CPAP while boon docking. Slept like a baby for two days on a 95% charge. 16% charge left.

chickenchoker
04-02-2013, 07:29 AM
good to hear as I also got that unit on its way

Longo1908
04-02-2013, 11:18 AM
I bought one too. Used it this weekend for my CPAP while boon docking. Slept like a baby for two days on a 95% charge. 16% charge left.

Have you tried running a guru yet? Wondering if I should buy it. The price is attractive but I want to make sure it's going to do what I need.

HarleyGirl14226
04-08-2013, 04:46 PM

Have you tested it while mimicking a power outage yet? (because lord knows the power at contests is always so reliable)

Just curious if it switches from plug in power to the battery automatically.

CivilWarBBQ
04-09-2013, 12:54 AM
DO you use a UPS at comps? The general consensus is the UPSs do not play nice with dirty power supplied at comps. They will not pass though and will trip to battery mode even when the power is still on. I have not witnessed this myself but there are several here that have posted and claim this is the case.

Yes, never had that problem. The only load I attach is the fan controller though, and a 400VA APC UPS will drive that off battery alone for a very long time, probably an entire cook. I can see how a low voltage situation could cause the UPS inverter to engage, but if the power is that poor you're probably going to have bigger problems with your RV systems to worry about.

NS Mike D
04-09-2013, 07:04 AM
I use a black and decker inverter to run a guru and an ique We used another inverter last weekend - but you get the idea. Plus they back up as a light source, tire inflator nad car jumper.

Use the dc power cord - these batteries use a fan to cool the inverter if you want to use the AC outlet and that sucks up juice. First try using the ac outlet, the battery ran dead at sunrise. More than enough juice for a weekend cook using the dc outlet.

ique
04-09-2013, 07:32 AM
Have you tried running a guru yet? Wondering if I should buy it. The price is attractive but I want to make sure it's going to do what I need.

Ran a Guru on that unit this past weekend. Guru went for 5 hours and barely made a dent in the battery charge (still @ 97%)