PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call. Inside 30 days. New York City BBQ Cookoff Staten Island, NY

Muzzlebrake
03-20-2013, 11:06 AM
Boom! Boom!

Big Guns will be there. Who else is in?

bigjonsBBQ
03-21-2013, 06:29 AM
Late Night Hoggers should be there, considering the check was cashed. Does anyone know if some sort of packet gets mailed / e mailed out to the competitors? I have not really heard anything and it is less than 30 days to the event.

chickenchoker
03-21-2013, 06:31 AM
Chicken Chokers will be there competing and supporting team OBR for PC. Gonna be a great one. looking forward to seeing you there Sean..... wondering how that Cali comp went for you

Muzzlebrake
03-21-2013, 07:56 AM
I don't think they have a cook's packet yet (or if they will). If you have any questions you can try calling Jacob, Eze's asst.. That's who I spoke with although he didn't have a lot of information. If you need his number PM me, I'll hook you up.
From what I understand they are trying to get as many people as possible to do the PC contest which starts during turn-ins @ 12:30.

Cali was fun, great people, extremely well organized contest with nice payouts at a fabulous venue and Big Poppa's Friday night dinner. I doesn't get much better!

TheJackal
03-21-2013, 08:54 AM
Smokopolis BBQ will be there. Xantrex powerpack, car battery, and all! No PC for us because it conflicts with turn-in times. Did anyone get a call asking (begging) them to do PC? They tried to say that Pitmasters would be there if they get enough teams doing PC. Why would Pitmasters give a crap about a PC contest? lol.

ique
03-21-2013, 09:09 AM
Smokopolis BBQ will be there. Xantrex powerpack, car battery, and all! No PC for us because it conflicts with turn-in times. Did anyone get a call asking (begging) them to do PC? They tried to say that Pitmasters would be there if they get enough teams doing PC. Why would Pitmasters give a crap about a PC contest? lol.

I'm in and currently have been suckered into Peoples Choice. Yeah, I'll beat the OBR team for sure. LOL.

eggzlot
03-21-2013, 09:51 AM
we would likely cook PCs as long as we did not have hand out the food during our turn in times. If they want us so badly to do PCs, maybe try to get a bunch of volunteers, set them up at a booth, and have them hand out our PCs food.

Cooking it and handing off trays is one thing, helping promote to get people to come to your site and hand out food, while doing KCBS turn ins is another thing.

We tried it last year and it was just not feasible for us. We would like to support the promoter, so if they worked with us, I am sure we can work with them.

Muzzlebrake
03-21-2013, 10:20 AM
I did get the same call about the PC. I'm really not understanding the whole thing, they want us to pay extra to enter it, supply our own meats, serve during turn ins and on,y have a $750 winner take all payout.

bigjonsBBQ
03-21-2013, 10:39 AM
In all the comps I have done, I have never done a peoples choice, so we are doing it. Not a fan that it is during turn ins, but we have 5 people, so I will prob have 2 or 3 just handle that so I can get our turn ins in. See what happens!! Can't wait to get the first comp of the year under my belt already!

Jacked UP BBQ
03-21-2013, 11:16 AM
Jacked up bbq might check this one out, whats the dates?

Muzzlebrake
03-21-2013, 11:32 AM
Jacked up bbq might check this one out, whats the dates?

4/20, I think they're full, might want to check it out

Longo1908
03-21-2013, 11:55 AM
The Richmond County Pitt Bros are making their competition debute

Jacked UP BBQ
03-21-2013, 11:58 AM
going to pork in the park that weekend.

CBQ
03-21-2013, 06:47 PM
going to pork in the park that weekend.

Me too, see ya there Matt. Why drive to Staten Island when we can drive to Maryland instead @ 7 mpg? :becky:

pigmaker23
03-21-2013, 07:08 PM
Me too see you both there

Me too, see ya there Matt. Why drive to Staten Island when we can drive to Maryland instead @ 7 mpg? :becky:

trohrs123
03-21-2013, 08:46 PM

Will see all you guys in MD

Jacked UP BBQ
03-21-2013, 11:24 PM
If anyone needs ****ty wagyu briskets let me know!

NS Mike D
03-23-2013, 08:58 AM
BuenosDiazBBQ will be there.

blackeyedpig
03-23-2013, 08:56 PM
Blackeyed Pig will be there and yes, I got suckered into the PC too. And from what I know about reality TV I'll leave it to people better looking and better spoken than me.

blackeyedpig
03-23-2013, 08:58 PM
One more thing, I was told there was a sponsor giving 10 lbs. of butts to anyone participating in the PC. Anyone know anything about this?

BasicPatrick
03-24-2013, 01:45 AM
The Basic BBQ Team will also be competing in Staten Island!!!!

We are looking forward to this contest because some of the teams that met at the Hoboken & Staten Island OBR Sandy Relief cook sites are getting together at this contest to both partake in the competition and have now decided to once again join forces as Peoples Choice Team OBR!!!

dr pearl
03-27-2013, 09:44 AM
Dr. Pearl's Medicinal Smoke Barbecue will be there and joining with Team OBR in the People's Choice. Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

blackeyedpig
04-05-2013, 08:45 PM
anyone get their competitor packet this week?

Last week I got a call saying they were mailing out the info this week. I haven't gotten mine and maybe I'm paranoid but I think the organizers are having a hard time keeping the contestants in the BBQ contest and the chili cook off straight. When they called me the conversation started with "hi this is (so and so) from the chili cook off ...

What I did find out is there isn't going to be any sponsor donated pork butts for the teams participating in the PC.

Two weeks away and we finally had a 60 degree day today.

Longo1908
04-05-2013, 10:43 PM
I thought I was the only one who didn't get it. Very unorganized. Does anyone know any details about the people's choice?

TheJackal
04-05-2013, 11:42 PM
Here it is.

Date: Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Subject: 2013 NYC BBQ Contest Packet
To: Jacob Berard <Jberard@historicrichmondtown.org>

Hello, this email contains the contestant packet for our 2013 BBQ Cookoff taking place this April 20th. Inside are many of the details pertaining to procedures for Friday 4/19 and Saturday 4/20. If you have any further questions feel free to contact us. We are looking forward to seeing you at the event, good luck!

Jacob Berard
Development & Marketing
Historic Richmond Town
Staten Island Historical Society
441 Clarke Avenue
Staten Island, NY 10306
718-351-1611 x236

Staten Island Historical Society is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization.

BrewerDJ
04-06-2013, 06:30 AM
Also got mine last night and Hogsnipers will be there. It's the closest comp to us so we figured we should do it.

blackeyedpig
04-06-2013, 07:54 AM
Thanks Greg, I've been checking the mailbox all week after the phone call last week. Probably my fault not to think what the term "being mailed" means in the modern world. AOL dropped the email into my spam folder so I never would have seen it without your post.

David

Muzzlebrake
04-06-2013, 08:26 AM
Did anyone cooked this contest last year? Is there electric and water provided other than the contruction lights and slop sink?

Sounds like the meat inspection is taking place at the gate before you get to your site. You might want to pack accordingly. It will really suck ( for you and everyone behind you) if you have to unpack to get your meat cooler.

chickenchoker
04-06-2013, 08:41 AM
We did not cook this last year Sean but there is no electric or water provided other than the sink and hose. My teammate Dan talked to the guy the other day and he said that generator ARE allowed to run all night meaning this will be a fun one to get sleep at. Portable power sources seem to be the norm for running overnight cookers and draft systems but some mods might be needed. Look at this link to some discussion already about the SI contest http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156630

ique
04-06-2013, 09:35 AM
Meat inspections start at 1pm in satellite lot... but when can we get to our actual cooking sites?

Muzzlebrake
04-06-2013, 02:49 PM
We did not cook this last year Sean but there is no electric or water provided other than the sink and hose. My teammate Dan talked to the guy the other day and he said that generator ARE allowed to run all night meaning this will be a fun one to get sleep at. Portable power sources seem to be the norm for running overnight cookers and draft systems but some mods might be needed. Look at this link to some discussion already about the SI contest http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156630

Thanks. I thought I had read somewhere we got water and electric. I'm off the grid and don't really need water so I'm cool.

I would hope that quiet hours are quiet hours no matter what the source. I hope they don't have the construction lights on all night.

Meat inspections start at 1pm in satellite lot... but when can we get to our actual cooking sites?

According to the cooks pack, "You will be directed to your cooking location immediately after the inspection"

ique
04-07-2013, 12:52 PM
According to the cooks pack, "You will be directed to your cooking location immediately after the inspection"

Fingers crossed. Last year we sat in that lot until close to 6pm.

dr pearl
04-07-2013, 01:22 PM
I heard Team OBR gets in first

TheJackal
04-07-2013, 02:04 PM

Chris, that's because they had the chili cookoff before us. This year they moved the chili cookoff to a different weekend. We shouldn't have to wait on anyone this year to get in and get our spaces. I think they still have the staging area because the streets are so narrow and they still want to load teams in 2 at a time.

Muzzlebrake
04-07-2013, 02:48 PM

That would suck.

bbqnjm
04-07-2013, 07:35 PM
Quick note from Reps- last yrs meat inspections was done in the holding area to save time -since you were getting into the sites so late following the chili cook-off. We are the meat inspectors again this yr- but we have not discussed doing meat inspection at the gate or in the holding area. We are expecting to be following the usual meat inspection procedure at your site. Will all of you be at the site by 6pm for the cook's meeting? Nancy

blackeyedpig
04-07-2013, 07:37 PM
Yes, based on the information posted earlier I was planning on getting to the site as close to the opening as I could.

chickenchoker
04-07-2013, 11:24 PM
we will definitely be onsite way before 6

BasicPatrick
04-08-2013, 12:01 AM
Quick note from Reps- last yrs meat inspections was done in the holding area to save time -since you were getting into the sites so late following the chili cook-off. We are the meat inspectors again this yr- but we have not discussed doing meat inspection at the gate or in the holding area. We are expecting to be following the usual meat inspection procedure at your site. Will all of you be at the site by 6pm for the cook's meeting? Nancy

Nancy...You might want to read the Cooks Packet that was sent to all teams late last week. Here is a quote on the subject...

"We’ve designated a waiting area/meat inspection zone, which will be open for
your arrival any time after 1pm on Friday, April19th. The address is 145 Arthur
Kill Road (see map below). It is a green building set back from the road, across
the street from a cemetery. The address is located between Clarke Avenue and
Revere Lane. There will be a competition representative on-*‐site when you arrive. Meat inspection is scheduled at this location starting at 1pm."

Its Never good when the Reps and the Organizers are on different pages. Add in a Pitmaster Bus & crew and Im already starting to think I just mis spent $800.

bbqnjm
04-08-2013, 11:08 AM
Ok we spoke with Eze- new info will be sent out shortly- there was some misunderstanding re the need last year for the holding area and meat inspections being done in that area off site. This set up is not required for this year so meat Inspections will be available as per usual procedure as your load into your sites. Both Don & I will be walking around to complete meat inspections as teams are ready. Here's hoping for great weather & a successful event for all. Nancy

Mornin' Wood
04-08-2013, 01:26 PM
Ok we spoke with Eze- new info will be sent out shortly- there was some misunderstanding re the need last year for the holding area and meat inspections being done in that area off site. This set up is not required for this year so meat Inspections will be available as per usual procedure as your load into your sites. Both Don & I will be walking around to complete meat inspections as teams are ready. Here's hoping for great weather & a successful event for all. Nancy

Thanks for getting that cleared up!

Pete's Endless Summer BBQ
04-09-2013, 07:04 AM
we will be there

Muzzlebrake
04-16-2013, 08:37 AM
I miss Sledcasts

TheJackal
04-16-2013, 08:45 AM
So do we need to stop at the waiting area or not?

Muzzlebrake
04-16-2013, 10:39 AM
Greg, i think just to be led into your spot. I spoke to them last week and Eze was talking about resending out the cooks info to try and stagger the times teams start to arrive to minimize teams stacking up. Don't know if that is actually taking place or not. i plan on getting there around 1ish.

eggzlot
04-16-2013, 12:27 PM
looks like BBQ Pitmasters will be filming this weekend:
http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2013/04/bbq_pitmasters_episode_to_be_f.html

Muzzlebrake
04-16-2013, 12:43 PM
looks like BBQ Pitmasters will be filming this weekend:
http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2013/04/bbq_pitmasters_episode_to_be_f.html

who are they filming?

eggzlot
04-16-2013, 12:47 PM
not sure - did they release the teams who are being filmed for the upcoming season?

Muzzlebrake
04-16-2013, 01:01 PM
unlike previous years I thought this year they announced the teams prior to filming at the other locations. To be honest I haven't really been following it that closely

BKBBQ
04-16-2013, 01:38 PM
Its gonna be a great show. Just got home from kansas and tried to get in on this. I was told there was no space left at all. I hope to cook in ny one day.im used to big fields in fla and ga with a hundred teams and plenty of room for last minute guys like myself.

Muzzlebrake
04-16-2013, 02:31 PM
Its gonna be a great show. Just got home from kansas and tried to get in on this. I was told there was no space left at all. I hope to cook in ny one day.im used to big fields in fla and ga with a hundred teams and plenty of room for last minute guys like myself.

come on up, there are plenty of contests here in NY and most of the others have a lot more teams.

BKBBQ
04-16-2013, 02:45 PM
Try to stay for pitmaster awards show. The producers enjoy the crowd and its a great experience to watch tuffy and myron. They are hilarious together.even all the shooting done on sunday is hilarious.tuffy gets a little crazy on sunday after shooting for two days.awards are usually around 545 and its a great time to get on camera and act like a crazy bbq superstar.im sure most of you are just that.i know i am.

eggzlot
04-16-2013, 03:16 PM
BKBBQ - if the KCBS event is Friday/Saturday, is Pitmasters running on Saturday or Sunday? I would think Saturday to get a large crowd at the filming, no?

Wonder with timing if our awards will be over in time to go watch the end of Pitmasters - I guess we'll find out.

dr pearl
04-16-2013, 03:24 PM
It's a Friday-Sat event, no one will be there sunday

Slamdunkpro
04-16-2013, 04:06 PM
It's a Friday-Sat event, no one will be there sunday
They do some post production shooting on Sunday mornings.

blackeyedpig
04-16-2013, 06:35 PM
Can I get Aaron Franklin to cook the brisket for me? :-D

BrewerDJ
04-16-2013, 06:43 PM
Does anyone know who the three team will be for the Pitmaster Comp?

Muzzlebrake
04-16-2013, 07:55 PM

Apparently it's a secret

BKBBQ
04-16-2013, 08:00 PM
There is a very pleasent surprise judge.

BKBBQ
04-16-2013, 08:01 PM
Battle of pitmakers maybe.

pigmaker23
04-16-2013, 09:50 PM
Who it be ?

WannaBeBBQueen
04-17-2013, 07:28 AM
Who it be ?you? Lol

BrewerDJ
04-17-2013, 07:28 AM

Apparently it's a secret

Seriously?!? Perhaps I should check wikileaks.org? Those secrets can't be kept but who's on Pitmaster's NY can? :wacko:

ique
04-17-2013, 09:04 AM
They do some post production shooting on Sunday mornings.

In some cases all day Sunday.

esselle
04-17-2013, 09:08 AM
Watching this thread as we might make the trip over the pond next year to do this one.

speedrcer1
04-18-2013, 08:40 AM
Who it be ?
The spice fairy perhaps?

ique
04-18-2013, 02:57 PM
great.....

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/901730_513142658732997_1864810103_o.jpg

eggzlot
04-18-2013, 03:29 PM
so - expect the same weather as last year ;-) ???
weather.com paints a slightly prettier picture, so we'll see.

speedrcer1
04-18-2013, 03:48 PM
Fri Apr 19
Day 71°
Night 52°
Cloudy
CHANCE OF RAIN:
20%
WIND:
S at 20 mph
Mostly Cloudy
CHANCE OF RAIN:
20%
WIND:
W at 16 mph

This just off the weather channel.
http://www.weather.com/weather/5-day/Staten+Island+NY+USNY1401:1:US

Bring rain gear, so it won't rain. Maybe.

ique
04-18-2013, 03:51 PM
Thats from an extreme weather guy I follow on facebook. Who knows.... fingers crossed

Mornin' Wood
04-18-2013, 08:44 PM
Email a few minutes ago from Eze:

I apologize for the delay. It's been a long week, so say the least. Attached is the updated packets along with your load in times. The check in times will be in the waiting area, and we will have someone guide you to the main site, where you will be given a packet with further instructions. We will also guide you to your spot. The meat inspections will happen on the main site, NOT the waiting area. I think it still might be wrong on the packet and it was going to take to long to fix by tonight. If you have any other questions, let me know.

NS Mike D
04-18-2013, 10:17 PM
wasn't expecting an 11 am arrival time for us. We won't be leaving until 11am, so I have no idea how they will be able to fit us into our space. I have a feeling we will have to unload the trailer and line up an army to move it into our space by hand.

Anyway, time to log off and load the trailer, I'm working 5am - 11am, so guess what is will be parked in the company lot. Time to finish loading.

see you folks tomorrow.

Mike Y
04-19-2013, 06:24 AM
Good Luck Everyone!

Warthog
04-19-2013, 03:31 PM
Will be there judging again this Saturday.

boogiesnap
04-20-2013, 07:56 PM
results?

Cue's Your Daddy
04-20-2013, 08:28 PM
Blazzin butts GC.