PDA

View Full Version : How Much Meat Do You Cook

JCanfield
03-14-2013, 12:31 PM
I will be cooking in my first competition next weekend and was wanting to know from yall that have done this before. How much meat should be cooked to insure that you have choices to choose from for your boxes.

The meats are: Brisket, Spare Ribs, and 1/2 Chicken.

Should I do 2 briskets, 2 ribs, and 2 chickens or more?

Also the rules for the turn in boxes is that one piece of foil be placed in the bottom and meat on top. They want to see meat not greens. Is this something you can screw up easily or is it that simple (sounds simple)?

bwsy2k
03-14-2013, 12:49 PM
I usually do
1- Brisket
2- Pork Butts
3-6 slabs of ribs

Never done Half Chicken for comp, usually do about 14-16 thighs

Cast Iron Chef
03-14-2013, 12:53 PM
What He^^^^ said.

JS-TX
03-14-2013, 01:12 PM
IBCA/Tx guys! :razz:

I normally do 2 1/2 chickens, 4 racks of ribs, and 1 brisket. If it's a really big comps, you may have to turn in 2 chicken halves, 2 more slices of brisket and 2 more ribs. Some people cook more and turn in their best Q. If you do this it will eat up more time on the clock while you sort through all your meat, so plan ahead. But since it's your 1st comp, I would make it easy on yourself and not cook too much. I would do an extra rack of ribs though, sometimes finding nice meaty ribs cut just right is tough. Good luck!

BTW they will provide the foil, just unfold it and place it on the bottom.

bruno994
03-14-2013, 03:39 PM
JS-TX is right on with his numbers, even though mine are slightly different. I cook 1 brisket, although occasionally I'll cook a second if I know I have some friends coming to sample, 3 slabs of ribs and 4 chicken halves. Same reason on the chicken as JS stated, just in case the comp gets to a certain team count and we have to turn in 2 halves. Try and stay around 5#'s on each of the birds, they fit better into the turn in boxes. St. Louis style ribs and a good 12#+ brisket will do you just fine.
Good luck and most of all have a good time, walk around and meet the other cookers, especially Friday afternoon and early Saturday.

RangerJ
03-14-2013, 03:53 PM
^^^^ This