PDA

View Full Version : Power at competitions

Smoke&HoneyBBQ
03-14-2013, 12:24 PM
Been reading that power at KCBS events power can be unreliable.

Can someone expand on that such as quick blips where power is lost or long time where power is lost?

Our problem is we are running a pellet pooper so power is big for us. I have a generator but is a big loud gas one and most comps would probably frown on us using it due to the noise.

If it is quick I will bring a UPS and just plug my smoker into that which should give me 60 or so minutes of run time for rolling blackouts.

The other option we have been debating is just running an inventor directly off of our truck battery and firing up the truck every now and then and keep the electricity for stuff like lights.

Kave Dweller
03-14-2013, 12:32 PM
Take the generator with, no one is going to complain about noise if they get to borrow power from ya.

Fat Freddy
03-14-2013, 12:36 PM
Take the generator with, no one is going to complain about noise if they get to borrow power from ya.
Some contests do not allow loud generators, not picking on any contest but here is an example of a contest on their entry form...

Electricity is
not

available for Cooking Teams during
Smokiní In The Junction

If you require electricity for
your contest kitchen area, you are required to provide your own generator.

All generators must be muffled

to respect Valley Junction residents, fellow competitors, and event attendees.

(Suggested generator
-

Honda EU3000is or equivalent).

Without refunding entry fees, HVJF may request a competitor to leave if
the competitors generator is deemed too loud.

Teams or individuals attempting to use electricity outlets lo-
cated on or near Valley Junction trees or buildings will be immediately removed from the contest without re-
fund.

Fat Freddy
03-14-2013, 12:42 PM

Can someone expand on that such as quick blips where power is lost or long time where power is lost?

Our problem is we are running a pellet pooper so power is big for us. I have a generator but is a big loud gas one and most comps would probably frown on us using it due to the noise.

If it is quick I will bring a UPS and just plug my smoker into that which should give me 60 or so minutes of run time for rolling blackouts.

The other option we have been debating is just running an inventor directly off of our truck battery and firing up the truck every now and then and keep the electricity for stuff like lights.

Last year I had a pellet pooper and at one contest power went out completely no explanation. At another contest(unsanctioned) the band performing unplugged my plug to plug their equipment in. At another contest the generators were in the middle of the area but they let the public walk around the competitors and my neighbors cord was tripped on by someone and broke the ground on the plug. He didnt have another extension cord so he had issues the rest of the night

Untraceable
03-14-2013, 12:42 PM
its not so much running a generator if its actually needed, its running a generator all night long to power party lights and a forced air heater and everyone is inside sleeping

Andrew
03-14-2013, 12:46 PM
the last comp i went to, there was generators everywhere.

Smoke&HoneyBBQ
03-14-2013, 12:49 PM
Some contests do not allow loud generators, not picking on any contest but here is an example of a contest on their entry form...

Electricity is
not

available for Cooking Teams during
Smokiní In The Junction

If you require electricity for
your contest kitchen area, you are required to provide your own generator.

All generators must be muffled

to respect Valley Junction residents, fellow competitors, and event attendees.

(Suggested generator
-

Honda EU3000is or equivalent).

Without refunding entry fees, HVJF may request a competitor to leave if
the competitors generator is deemed too loud.

Teams or individuals attempting to use electricity outlets lo-
cated on or near Valley Junction trees or buildings will be immediately removed from the contest without re-
fund.

The comps we have signed up say the same thing.

Do not have enough money to throw into a honda generator right now.

Smoke&HoneyBBQ
03-14-2013, 12:50 PM
its not so much running a generator if its actually needed, its running a generator all night long to power party lights and a forced air heater and everyone is inside sleeping

So basically bring the generator but a ton of extension cords?

TooSaucedToPork
03-14-2013, 01:44 PM
Thats why you start out cooking old school...no elec. no guru, just a charcoal or stickburner. That way when everything goes to crap, you fall back on your skills and you still prevail :heh:

smokeisgood
03-14-2013, 02:30 PM
Thats why you start out cooking old school...no elec. no guru, just a charcoal or stickburner. That way when everything goes to crap, you fall back on your skills and you still prevail :heh:

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Ron_L
03-14-2013, 02:42 PM

I respectfully disagree with this. I have been at competitions where construction generators were used and that team was told to shut it down.

Smoke&Honey, I don't take a chance on comp power. I have seen power failures caused by everything from standing water to someone using a home power strip that was defective and taking out the distribution panel. I have a deep cycle battery and an inverter/charger that powers my FEC. It is plugged into comp power and passes it through when the power is live, but it switches automatically to the battery if the comp power fails. While comp power is live it charges the battery.

You can also use a portable backup power source like this...

http://www.duracellpower.com/documents/tech-specs/DRPP600.pdf

or similar.

Nordy
03-14-2013, 02:42 PM
Pick up an inverter and a battery... most pellet pits pull next to nothing (other than maybe startup with the hot rod).

Should power be poor... or unavailable you can run literally for days on a deep cycle battery...

My current set up is a TrippLite inverter/charger/switch that charges my batteries as needed, then if electric is interrupted it switches to inverter power. I've ran 2 FECs and a PG1000 for 18 hours on battery only, without a problem, and with honestly minimal discharge from the battery.

It's worth the peace of mind at contest. For less than the cost of 1 contest you can get some kind of battery backup/primary source, and not have to worry about it at all your other contests. Definitely worth it...

Nordy

smokinit
03-14-2013, 05:02 PM
I built vented cover to put over my geneator even though it is fairly quite. Works great let me see if I can dig some pics up.

Red Valley BBQ
03-14-2013, 05:53 PM

This is not always the case. Sure there can be issues from time to time, but it has been my experience that most organizers take measures to make sure there is plenty of power for the teams.

Power outages can range from small hiccups to lengthy outages.

I would run a test at home to see just how long you can keep your pellet pooper running on a UPS. Plug it in to the UPS and then start your pooper and let it go until the UPS runs out of juice. Also try it after the pooper is already to temp, that way you will have no suprises as to how long it will last in case you do have a lapse in power.

Smoke&HoneyBBQ
03-15-2013, 07:15 AM

Yeah but in the morning I will be refreshed and relaxed where you stickers will be hungover and exhausted.

Smoke&HoneyBBQ
03-15-2013, 07:19 AM
I respectfully disagree with this. I have been at competitions where construction generators were used and that team was told to shut it down.

Smoke&Honey, I don't take a chance on comp power. I have seen power failures caused by everything from standing water to someone using a home power strip that was defective and taking out the distribution panel. I have a deep cycle battery and an inverter/charger that powers my FEC. It is plugged into comp power and passes it through when the power is live, but it switches automatically to the battery if the comp power fails. While comp power is live it charges the battery.

You can also use a portable backup power source like this...

http://www.duracellpower.com/documents/tech-specs/DRPP600.pdf

or similar.

Pick up an inverter and a battery... most pellet pits pull next to nothing (other than maybe startup with the hot rod).

Should power be poor... or unavailable you can run literally for days on a deep cycle battery...

My current set up is a TrippLite inverter/charger/switch that charges my batteries as needed, then if electric is interrupted it switches to inverter power. I've ran 2 FECs and a PG1000 for 18 hours on battery only, without a problem, and with honestly minimal discharge from the battery.

It's worth the peace of mind at contest. For less than the cost of 1 contest you can get some kind of battery backup/primary source, and not have to worry about it at all your other contests. Definitely worth it...

Nordy

Yeah after talking with a couple friends I am going with the inverter/charger with 2 deep cycle batteries approach. Probably going to do the tipp lite because it seems to be the best option.

Years ago when I competed this was never an issue but switching from stick to the dark side it is amazing the hoops we have to jump through. Oh well at least I will be refreshed in the morning.

Smoke&HoneyBBQ
03-15-2013, 07:20 AM
This is not always the case. Sure there can be issues from time to time, but it has been my experience that most organizers take measures to make sure there is plenty of power for the teams.

Power outages can range from small hiccups to lengthy outages.

I would run a test at home to see just how long you can keep your pellet pooper running on a UPS. Plug it in to the UPS and then start your pooper and let it go until the UPS runs out of juice. Also try it after the pooper is already to temp, that way you will have no suprises as to how long it will last in case you do have a lapse in power.

The answer is 45 minutes.

Drinking beer on a Thursday night gives us a reason to try stupid stuff.

Going to the inverter approach because it gives us a couple other comps that were not providing electricity.

jimbloomfield
03-15-2013, 07:49 AM
Use a inverter. If you are powering off the truck battery. Keep a battery charger on it that is plugged into the events power. if the battery charger gets blips or is disconnected etc the Pellet grill will keep going.

CBQ
03-15-2013, 04:08 PM
A UPS is a bad idea. Many contests use generators, and many UPS systems will interpret the sine wave from a generator as a power out condition and just run off the battery all the time. Inverter with an auto-cutover, backed up by a deep cycle battery is a better option.

Contests use outdoor outlets. Outdoor outlets are generally GFI protected. A GFI will cut off power when there is a leak to ground - for example if the team next door leaves their power strip on the ground during a rain storm. If they are plugged into the same outlet you are, your power goes out. Best have a back up power source for your pellet cooker.