PDA

View Full Version : Closed: Slick Lizard Smokehouse

rcbaughn
03-13-2013, 10:13 PM
http://files.deepfriedkudzu.com/DSC03944-768211.JPG

I don't know if any of you guys have ever even heard of this place, but it closed about a year ago if I ain't wrong on that timeline and my home town area lost a truly good BBQ joint. If any of you did happen to travel through Nauvoo, AL and get to try their awesome chopped barbecue sandwiches then you know what I mean. $6.99 for a large (and I mean monster large bun) stuffed with smokey tender pork butt, a large helping of hot steak fries, and the biggest glass of sweet tea I've ever seen with endless refills. Their tea was the best I've ever had and yes that includes Milo's tea.

Makes me so sad to see places like this close. I know that 99.9999999% of the Brethren haven't heard of this place, but I think we all lose a little bit when a place like this goes under and it was due solely to the economy in the rural area. Sad too that the debate between Green Top in Sumiton or Slick Lizard in Nauvoo having the better bbq is over forever, even though I think everyone knew who the winner was there. :cry:

Triple T BBQ
03-13-2013, 11:52 PM
Sorry to hear. The question in my mind with these is always why? Economy? Prices, lack of local customers eating out? Quality change? Low cost competitor?

rcbaughn
03-14-2013, 12:21 AM
People around that area just don't eat out as much anymore. When the economy is down it really hits Lynn and the towns around it since they are so rural and out there.

Also talked to the owners, the McDaniel's, and they said that the rising fuel prices has driven everything they were buying to be ALOT more expensive. They got their pork from a local farmer but everything else, like the fries, bread, sides, and other meats they sold were going sky high and the profits weren't there. Utility prices going up hurt too I imagine.

They probably could have raised prices and stayed there but they customer base would have fell so maybe that wouldn't have worked. I don't think they would've given up a regular either. Good family though that's out of that income though and a few great gals out of waitress and cooking jobs too. Run by all women in the back and they were stellar.

I imagine that Jim N' Nicks in Jasper hurt them too. People aren't driving the 20 minutes to Slick Lizard and just eating in town after getting their groceries. Makes me sick since Jim N' Nicks PALES in taste and quality. Seriously.