PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Carmel Ribberfest

sfisch
03-12-2013, 04:16 PM
Is anyone familiar with parking arrangements, the application says no vehicles in cooking area until 1130 pm Saturday night. How do you pack up and leave Saturday after awards?thanks

indianagriller
03-12-2013, 04:25 PM
i saw that as well... you guys going?

sfisch
03-12-2013, 04:32 PM
Yeah if we can get out of there when its done. Don't want to loose 7 hrs drive time home.

Rooter-Tooter BBQ
03-12-2013, 04:40 PM
I didnt compete up there last year but my work territory is in that town so just by chance that town was in my routing on that Friday :wink: There were trucks parked at the cooksites all down that road. IDK if they changed it but nobody was obeying that rule.

4 smokin butts
03-12-2013, 04:44 PM
Smith ton il has first year contest,not Kcbs,4000$ payout. All four Kcbs categories good power. Looks like good deal,same as this contest

82's BBQ
03-12-2013, 04:46 PM
I talked to the organizer, because I had the same concern. He told me that he would position me close to the exit so we could leave after the awards.

sfisch
03-12-2013, 05:00 PM
We are waiting a response from the organizer, its a 500 mile trip home for us.

jrbBBQ
03-12-2013, 05:09 PM
I went to this contest two years ago, it was cancelled last year. The teams are parked on both sides of a street. They close the street off and do not allow traffic thru the area. I was parked in the middle of the set up and I was able to get right out after the awards that year.

quarters69
03-12-2013, 05:22 PM
We parked right next to our trailers 2 years ago. Organizer told me he would try to get us out earlier but no guarantees what time. 60 miles away from home and might have to pass on this contest. Last time didn't even have enough teams for qualifier.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

quarters69
03-12-2013, 05:24 PM
Take note of the later turn in times also.

jrbBBQ
03-12-2013, 06:03 PM
I did see where turn-ins are move back an hour. I don't know what they are trying to accomplish by having the 'backyard' cookoff after the KCBS? I'll probably go because its less than an hour away, but it looks like it has potential to be a little frustrating. I think they didn't get 25 teams two years ago is because Quincy was the same weekend and they were only 3 teams short then, I think moving to April instead of September will help some as well.

Rich Parker
03-12-2013, 06:04 PM
We are waiting a response from the organizer, its a 500 mile trip home for us.

I just read the entry form can't leave until 11pm :shock:

jrbBBQ
03-12-2013, 06:09 PM

Someone needs to put a bug in his ear that; that just won't work. He's gonna run more people off by doing that. Hopefully that's going to change.

quarters69
03-12-2013, 06:18 PM
I tried

quarters69
03-12-2013, 07:02 PM
they were only 3 teams short then, I think moving to April instead of September will help some as well.

Actually it was 6.

Wampus
03-12-2013, 07:30 PM

Yeah that's crazy. Who wants to hang around for hours after awards just to leave?

sfisch
03-12-2013, 08:00 PM
I spoke with the organizer on the phone, the turn in times for the KCBS side of the event are going to be normal turn in times, he will have that changed on the website. He also mentioned that if he fills up at 40, the sponsor agreed to increase the prize pool.

indianagriller
03-13-2013, 06:43 AM
Did the organizer say how many teams were signed up so far?

quarters69
03-13-2013, 07:09 AM

indianagriller
03-13-2013, 07:29 AM
well i guess we are 9 then our entry went out last night

quarters69
03-13-2013, 08:30 AM
well i guess we are 9 then our entry went out last night

If your going James. I'll send mine in 2.

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
03-13-2013, 09:03 AM
We thought about going but the 11pm thing made us decide against it.

sfisch
03-13-2013, 12:27 PM
Pretty sure we are going.

Wampus
03-13-2013, 12:40 PM
We parked right next to our trailers 2 years ago. Organizer told me he would try to get us out earlier but no guarantees what time. 60 miles away from home and might have to pass on this contest. Last time didn't even have enough teams for qualifier.

So you DID do this one 2 years ago?
I'm assuming they'll need 25 to qualify, right?
I was just talking to Jimmy about it. We're wondering if we shouldn't have sent the money off. I sure don't want to regret it.

Wampus
03-13-2013, 12:41 PM
We thought about going but the 11pm thing made us decide against it.

Well we all COULD just hang out at your camp and listen to your CRANKIN sound system while we wait......:cool:

quarters69
03-13-2013, 12:42 PM
So you DID do this one 2 years ago?
I'm assuming they'll need 25 to qualify, right?
I was just talking to Jimmy about it. We're wondering if we shouldn't have sent the money off. I sure don't want to regret it.

We sure did!! We actually GC that time. But no draw:-(

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
03-13-2013, 12:45 PM
Well we all COULD just hang out at your camp and listen to your CRANKIN sound system while we wait......:cool:

I could just turn it up till they can't stand it and demand we leave. :)

quarters69
03-13-2013, 01:28 PM
I could just turn it up till they can't stand it and demand we leave. :)

That's a good idea!! Turn it up as load as the band was last weekend. That would drive anybody crazy.

sfisch
03-19-2013, 12:45 PM
Any new info or rumors about this one.?

quarters69
03-19-2013, 05:14 PM
There website shows 9 teams. It also shows the chicken turn in time as 1:00 local time??

sfisch
03-20-2013, 05:14 AM
Since they didn't have the event last year, do they still need 25 teams to be a qualifier?

82's BBQ
03-20-2013, 05:37 AM
There website shows 9 teams. It also shows the chicken turn in time as 1:00 local time??

The times are supposedly going to be the normal KCBS times

quarters69
03-20-2013, 07:35 AM
Since they didn't have the event last year, do they still need 25 teams to be a qualifier?

Yes they do. It's not a first year event.

Rooter-Tooter BBQ
03-20-2013, 08:32 PM
FYI on departure times. Email response from the organizer.

We are changing that requirement so if you want to leave you can. The only reason it was put in was for public safety due to the crowd milling around that evening. Those teams that need or want to leave can. Sorry about the confusion.

CHUCK JOHNSON

Fat Freddy
03-20-2013, 09:28 PM
This was one we had looked at doing at one time just so we were trying a different state. I had printed up the application and everything when I noticed where we could not leave until after 11 so i chose not to do it. 10 hr drive and not able to leave until 11pm= no fun. It works out for the best that we cant do this one but they really may want to change that on the entry form if they are not going to make people wait until that late because I am one team for sure that did not enter for that very reason.

sfisch
03-21-2013, 06:10 AM
FYI on departure times. Email response from the organizer.

We are changing that requirement so if you want to leave you can. The only reason it was put in was for public safety due to the crowd milling around that evening. Those teams that need or want to leave can. Sorry about the confusion.

CHUCK JOHNSON

Glad to see that info come out, now if he can only get enough teams for a qualifier.

DocStl
03-21-2013, 08:01 AM
I spoke with Collette last night. (organizer) :

KCBS turn in times are the normal starting with chicken at 12:00

Anyone can leave at anytime.

Anyone can stay til Sunday if they wish.

Power has always been good at this contest.

Part of the problem has been trying to get their web page person to correct the website. All the updates have not been changed as of yet.

This has always been one of our favorite contests. Mt Carmel is a quaint little town. Setup is on the street, it's like going back in time with all the old style stores.

Doc

NazBQ
03-21-2013, 12:58 PM
This was just posted on their Facebook page...

"Can you believe it? We had an error on our team sign-up form! KCBS Competitive teams ARE NOT required to stay until 11pm on Saturday night. As is the norm with most contests, teams may depart after turn-in for judging. Now, we hope everyone will want to stay and enjoy the Backyard Competition, State Championship Corn-Hole Tournament, and the FREE on-stage entertainment. Also, new this year, the motor homes/fifth wheels etc. used by the teams can stay on Market Street until Sunday morning! Thank you City of Mt. Carmel!! That's our new story, and we're stickin' to it."

82's BBQ
03-21-2013, 02:20 PM
I spoke with Collette last night. (organizer) :

KCBS turn in times are the normal starting with chicken at 12:00

Anyone can leave at anytime.

Anyone can stay til Sunday if they wish.

Power has always been good at this contest.

Part of the problem has been trying to get their web page person to correct the website. All the updates have not been changed as of yet.

This has always been one of our favorite contests. Mt Carmel is a quaint little town. Setup is on the street, it's like going back in time with all the old style stores.

Doc

Doc are you cooking it this year?

DocStl
03-21-2013, 07:28 PM
Doc are you cooking it this year?

We actually had the free certificate for this contest, we always cooked it and was one of our favorites. We are going to be the KCBS reps at the contest this year, since Dale and Vicki are in Florida.
Looking forward to seeing everyone tho!

jrbBBQ
03-21-2013, 07:59 PM
We actually had the free certificate for this contest, we always cooked it and was one of our favorites. We are going to be the KCBS reps at the contest this year, since Dale and Vicki are in Florida.
Looking forward to seeing everyone tho!

That sucks that Dale and Vicki are going to be in Florida, I like them as reps and now we have to put up with you as a rep.

jrbBBQ
03-21-2013, 08:03 PM
Just joking, I seen on the Calender that you guys are going to be the reps for a few contests around here. Is your wife still able to cook desserts or is that against the rules? I'm looking forward to seeing everyone at this one.

DocStl
03-22-2013, 07:01 AM
I agree, Dale and Vicki were two of my favorite reps around here. Kinda feels weird being on the other side of the action at a contest.

No cooking or shots while on "duty" :doh:

Just joking, I seen on the Calender that you guys are going to be the reps for a few contests around here. Is your wife still able to cook desserts or is that against the rules? I'm looking forward to seeing everyone at this one.