PDA

View Full Version : Hidden BBQ Gems in Austin, TX?

tish
03-11-2013, 10:43 PM
Anybody been to these places? As good as they're saying?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/trending-now/trending-now-sxsw-bbq-off-beaten-path-180733038.html

garzanium
03-11-2013, 10:49 PM
I personally have no idea why County Line makes bbq lists. .. worst I've had.

*never been to these. .

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

nostang88
03-11-2013, 10:51 PM
these places are not anything to write home about.... Been to blue ribbon, and left there hungry. its just SXSW and its BUSY. Any place with beer and BBQ is going to be packed.

Chiefs BBQ off 1st and Ditmar is pretty good and Cheap
Dons BBQ 71/290 W is good stuff

Lived in Austin 28 years

luke duke
03-11-2013, 10:53 PM
Go to John Mueller Meat Co. You won't be disappointed.
http://www.johnmuellermeatco.com

tish
03-11-2013, 10:55 PM
That last place, Stiles BBQ, the brisket looked so good! It is on my list when I start eating my way across the country. Can't wait to get going! :thumb:

Mack Tripper
03-11-2013, 11:04 PM
Second Luke Duke - John Mueller Meat Co. Get the beef short ribs.

javahog2002
03-11-2013, 11:41 PM
Lived in ATX for 15 years. never went to any of those places mentioned. Iron works downtown was kind of cool old place with no A/C. Lots of places in small towns around Austin: LLano, Elgin, Lockhart. County Line on the Lake is expensive. Paying for the expensive building on the lake.

tish
03-11-2013, 11:43 PM
I'll have to remember to keep out of County Line. :tsk:

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
03-12-2013, 12:00 AM
Wasn't all that long ago when Franklin's was a little hidden gem.

AustinKnight
03-12-2013, 05:09 AM
:wink:I plan on being at the next SXSW.....

tish
03-12-2013, 12:52 PM
:wink:I plan on being at the next SXSW.....

What's SXSW? Don't know what that means. :twitch:

gtr
03-12-2013, 01:00 PM
What's SXSW? Don't know what that means. :twitch:

South by Southwest. Started out as an indy music festival type thingee, now a huge music and film fest type gathering. Really huge.

As for BBQ off the beaten path, I used to go to a place called Sam's in the 80's. I really liked it then, I have no idea how it is now. It was supposedly a favorite of Stevie Ray Vaughn's - they had a big ole autographed poster of his in there ("Best damn ribs this side of the sun"). They are (or were) known for being one of the few places that serve mutton.

tish
03-12-2013, 01:20 PM
Hey, if it was good enough for Stevie... :hail: Talk about smokin' good! :thumb:

Jorge
03-12-2013, 01:23 PM
House Park back in the day, was good.

Matrixxdg
03-12-2013, 04:01 PM
Hi Tish,
I'm a rookie to the forum but I can certainly throw my 2 cents out about "The Salt Lick". South of Austin in the middle of know where. Accidently ran across it on the way to Fredericksburg,TX. Rembered it from a Food segment of Bobby Flay a few years ago, so we decided to stop.

Soooo... here is my 2 cents. As far as I can tell, they do not smoke brisket. The cook it over a grill pit. Sausage, chicken is the same way.

Very long lines, food was mediocare at best and they only take cash. Which by the way, if you have to use THERE ATM to get money to pay the bill, they charge you $4.00 to use it.

Wish you the best in your BBQ travels. I third Luke Duke and Mack Miller on John Mueller Meat Co.

Enjoy!!

MikeG

Jorge
03-12-2013, 04:32 PM
Thinking about it more.... Green Mesquite on Barton Springs. I wouldn't call it great bbq, in fact I'd stick with the chopped beef sandwich and expect it to be one of those guilty pleasure sort of things. The slightly sweet sauce, pickle, and onion just make it work as food rather than bbq. It's a lot like Austin used to be before the dot.bomb/wafer fab/California migration hit. Or it used to be, since it's been several years since I've been there.

gruene smoke
03-13-2013, 12:23 PM
Hi Tish,
I'm a rookie to the forum but I can certainly throw my 2 cents out about "The Salt Lick". South of Austin in the middle of know where. Accidently ran across it on the way to Fredericksburg,TX. Rembered it from a Food segment of Bobby Flay a few years ago, so we decided to stop.

Soooo... here is my 2 cents. As far as I can tell, they do not smoke brisket. The cook it over a grill pit. Sausage, chicken is the same way.

Very long lines, food was mediocare at best and they only take cash. Which by the way, if you have to use THERE ATM to get money to pay the bill, they charge you $4.00 to use it.

Wish you the best in your BBQ travels. I third Luke Duke and Mack Miller on John Mueller Meat Co.

Enjoy!!

MikeG

Actually they DO smoke the brisket (along with everything else) The round pit you saw is used as a warming pit.

I was just there Sunday and it was excellent.

As far as the cash only thing... Get used to it. A lot of the BBQ joints around central Texas only take cash.