PDA

View Full Version : Dr BBQ [moved from Q-talk]

jgh1204
01-29-2006, 12:24 PM
On that bbq contest show you were on, you were allowed to bring 1 ingredient. You brought some liquid for brisket. I cannot remember what it was.

drbbq
01-29-2006, 01:13 PM
Actually I never told them and they didn't ask.
It was Fab B mixed with water. The story and the whole recipe from that day is in my new book due out in May.

jgh1204
01-29-2006, 02:31 PM
Actually I never told them and they didn't ask.
It was Fab B mixed with water. The story and the whole recipe from that day is in my new book due out in May.

That's right, people on here were speculating that is what it was. I think I will order some of that to try before my cookoff.

jminion
01-29-2006, 02:42 PM
Ray
Congrats on your finish in Lakeland!

CarbonToe
01-29-2006, 02:57 PM
Fab B?

Jorge
01-29-2006, 03:23 PM
Fab B?

A search of the Competition forum should turn up some discussion of the product. You can find it here http://www.theingredientstore.com/ .

Moved to Competition since Fab B tends to be used in competition more than the back yard and will get more discussion..

MilitantSquatter
01-29-2006, 09:06 PM
Damn..... the ingredient list of the FAB-B and the other varieties read like the back of a frozen dinner box....and we know how many Americans love to gobble that stuff up !!!!

G$
01-30-2006, 11:40 AM
Damn..... the ingredient list of the FAB-B and the other varieties read like the back of a frozen dinner box....and we know how many Americans love to gobble that stuff up !!!!

I had the same thought. I am sure it does something for competition turn in meat, but I just don't really want to use that stuff I guess.

Bigdog
01-30-2006, 02:14 PM
This is a first, moving something to comp. forum.:shock:

Seriously, I would be interested in what percent of comp cooks here use Fab b. Maybe we need to poll you guys using the forum software. If anybody else is interested I will set it up.

LDOJYD
01-30-2006, 04:30 PM
Just reading the ingredients is a turn off......Not sure I would ever use that stuff. Is it the powerful of flavor? Seems nothing but chemical to me.....Bob

Solidkick
01-30-2006, 04:45 PM
FAB B Contains: Hydrolyzed soy protein, vegetable oil (soybean and or corn, cottonseed), sodium phosphates, mono sodium glutamate, autolyzed yeast extract, disodium inosinate and guanylate, xanthan gum.
I hate to say it, but that seems to be the ticket here in the midwest, good old MSG. We have a local team that just couldn't score in brisket early in the year....by year end, their in the top 3 every event. Jay introduced one of the team members to his "special" coffee, 6 cups later he's sharing his tips and tricks.....MSG gives me a headache, so I won't be using it.....but I know for a fact that it did help one team's overall performance last year!

spicewine
01-30-2006, 05:36 PM
It's no secret that MSG is in the rub that I use. It says so on the bottle.

By the way---MSG doesn't give me a headache----My coffee does:grin:

drbbq
01-30-2006, 06:16 PM
You guys do know that MSG is made primarily from beets don't you?

Jeff_in_KC
01-30-2006, 07:40 PM
I wasn't aware of that, Ray. I would like to learn the proper techniques in using MSG to my advantage. Phil pointed me in that direction at a contest last fall but I imagine there are all sorts of ways to utilize the stuff to improve your chances. The "wow" factor from the first bite has been discussed here several times. Is MSG a factor in that? My common sense says it would be but I'm interested to hear from some veteran guys who use it with success.

rookiedad
01-30-2006, 08:12 PM
could the fab b be used as a base for other seasonings or is it used by itself? also, is yeast extract anything like vegamite? thanks.
phil

G$
01-30-2006, 09:01 PM
You guys do know that MSG is made primarily from beets don't you?

Yes, and I have been known to use it on my beef rubs. (by the way, it comes from stuff other than just beets: seaweed, corn, papaya are some that I vaguely recall.)

I have never used this stuff, as far as I know: "autolyzed yeast extract, disodium inosinate and guanylate, xanthan gum".

I have nothing against FAB B, especially since I have never used it or even seen it that I know. Just kinda not at a point where i see myself using this stuff. Who knows, that may change. Call me close minded, but the less -ates, -ites, and -ans the better in general. Interesting discussion nonetheless.

frognot
01-31-2006, 03:06 AM
Interesting. The "secret" ingredient for a lot of chili competitions is Sazon Goya, which also had some folks not using it since it has MSG in it.

drbbq
01-31-2006, 06:42 AM
could the fab b be used as a base for other seasonings or is it used by itself? also, is yeast extract anything like vegamite? thanks.
phil

It's a dry mix that is recomended to be dissolved and injected. I add a little cayenne and dissolve it as directed with water. I don't see why you couldn't add other things.

If you email Joe Ames I'm sure he could tell you more about the makeup. I never asked.

www.theingredientstore.com

drbbq
01-31-2006, 06:44 AM
I wasn't aware of that, Ray. I would like to learn the proper techniques in using MSG to my advantage. Phil pointed me in that direction at a contest last fall but I imagine there are all sorts of ways to utilize the stuff to improve your chances. The "wow" factor from the first bite has been discussed here several times. Is MSG a factor in that? My common sense says it would be but I'm interested to hear from some veteran guys who use it with success.

It's a flavor enhancer. I use it in my rub too, which I quit selling because I got tired of all the alarmist who don't know what MSG is. but are happy to speak out against it.

CharlieBeasley
01-31-2006, 07:11 AM
I was interested in the fact that the first two ingredients in FAB B and P are soy based. It was the taste that came through to me how careful do you have to be in quantity used and proportions mixed?

Wildcat
01-31-2006, 07:35 AM
I'll probably end up trying it. The way I look at it is anything I would use in competition I'll use several times at home to make sure I get it right and decided to use it or not.

drbbq
01-31-2006, 08:17 AM
I was interested in the fact that the first two ingredients in FAB B and P are soy based. It was the taste that came through to me how careful do you have to be in quantity used and proportions mixed?

I have found the proportions I like and I'm very consistent about them. As for the actual injecting. I do the best I can to get even consistent distribution.

Consistency is key in all aspects of contest cooking, once you find a winning combination.

LDOJYD
01-31-2006, 09:08 AM
Well it is no secret that MSG is a flavor enhancer as mentioned before. Those who like Chinese food will recall that it use to be used all the time in their food preparation until the alarms sounded. Guess we will need to wait and hear as we did regarding eggs and milk....Remember, eggs and milk suddenly were verrrrrry bad for you...then bone issues and other problems began to spring up because people were not getting enough calcium....All of a sudden, the incredible edible egg!!!! I may try this stuff after I have read your threads...

jminion
01-31-2006, 11:08 AM
Yes, and I have been known to use it on my beef rubs. (by the way, it comes from stuff other than just beets: seaweed, corn, papaya are some that I vaguely recall.)

I have never used this stuff, as far as I know: "autolyzed yeast extract, disodium inosinate and guanylate, xanthan gum".

If you have used MSG, autolyzed yeast extract and disodium insinate and guanylate is MSG broken down into it's chemical components. If you look at a lot of ingredient list they are listed in this manor. These chemicals are found in beets, tomatoes and flour.

Xanthan gum: It replaces the gluten in yeast breads and other baking. It is available in health food stores and specialty grocery stores. Is considered by many as a good replacement for those that have problen with gluten in baked goods.

Jim

G$
01-31-2006, 11:17 AM
If you have used MSG, autolyzed yeast extract and disodium insinate and guanylate is MSG broken down into it's chemical components. If you look at a lot of ingredient list they are listed in this manor. These chemicals are found in beets, tomatoes and flour.

Xanthan gum: It replaces the gluten in yeast breads and other baking. It is available in health food stores and specialty grocery stores. Is considered by many as a good replacement for those that have problen with gluten in baked goods.

Jim

Thanks for the info, Jim! Since this is the Competition forum, I'll spare the "clean food" talk. In your expert opinion, would you hazard a guess at the % of competitors that have MSG in their turn in meat? 75%?

Bigmista
01-31-2006, 11:36 AM
Interesting. The "secret" ingredient for a lot of chili competitions is Sazon Goya, which also had some folks not using it since it has MSG in it.

I use Sazon sometimes but Iuse it more for color than flavor. I can never taste it.

BrooklynQ
01-31-2006, 11:52 AM
When we first started talking about FAB B last year, I brought up the point about all the "unhealthy" ingredients in it and what each can do to the human body. I'm no health nut, but FAB B just doesn't sit right with me. Besides all of that, Phil gave me some meat (easy boys) cooked with Fab B and I just didn't like the texture and flavor. It was a personal preference only.

But do you need to worry about making food "healthy" at competitions? I know I don't use MSG and a lot of other "unhealthy" ingredients when I cook for personal consumption.

But if I buy a commercial product, like the corn pops I had for breakfast, I don't really worry about the ingredients - only if I like the way it tastes.

But, I do know that many of these "unhealty" ingredients, msg, salt, sugar, lard, butter, etc make things taste damn good. And isn't that the point of the competition - to make the best tasting food possible?

Sawdustguy
02-01-2006, 05:07 AM
Maybe it's a good thing I haven't judged yet because I get violently ill when injesting MSG. I stopped eating Chinese food and read all labels carefully to prevent an episode. I am glad this came up now instead of finding out the hard way at a contest here the facilities could be a 1/4 mile away.:eek::cry::mad:

drbbq
02-01-2006, 06:23 AM
Anyone with ANY serious allergies or potetntial reactions should never judge a cookoff. There are no restrictions on what we put in/on the food.

JohnMcD348
02-01-2006, 07:47 AM
Well it is no secret that MSG is a flavor enhancer as mentioned before. Those who like Chinese food will recall that it use to be used all the time in their food preparation until the alarms sounded. Guess we will need to wait and hear as we did regarding eggs and milk....Remember, eggs and milk suddenly were verrrrrry bad for you...then bone issues and other problems began to spring up because people were not getting enough calcium....All of a sudden, the incredible edible egg!!!! I may try this stuff after I have read your threads...

That's exactly what I was thinking as I started reading about the MSG in the thread. Everything that's bad for ya will be good for ya in a few years and vice-versa. I can understand well that some people have sensitivities to certain things. I am married to someone who is genuinely allergic or sensitive to damn near everything( she gets tested annually and it nearly puts her into shock).
Im reminded of an old Saturday Night Live skit where they talked about the FDA research and found that the only thing that asn't unhealthy to eat was Lime(forget the color) Marshmallows. Everything else was a cancer causer.

BBQchef33
02-01-2006, 08:32 AM
Further FAb B discussions in thse threads.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9237&highlight=Fab

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12721&highlight=Fab

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13010&highlight=Fab

Solidkick
02-02-2006, 04:44 PM
Question for the Doctor.........

In one of your earlier posts as a Brethren (like your 3rd day :mrgreen:) there was a topic on cooking brisket, of which you shared at great length about your cooking process. thank you!
You stated:I leave the whole fat cap in place. Inject them with about 12oz each of a beefy injection recipe.

My question: Was the use of Fab B involved in your response? I ask this because I took your statement and have come up with "a beefy mixture" that seems to really enhance my final product, without the use of Fab B.

I will perfectly understand if you feel you should not respond, I wouldn't want you to share something that you are uncomfortable with. I guess my point is this: I took your statement and found something that I'm happy with, so even this old dog learned something new.....Thanks!

drbbq
02-02-2006, 06:20 PM
Yes, I was referring to Fab B.
Glad to see somebody is paying attention!

fineswine
02-03-2006, 01:39 PM
I use lite fab b with my brisket in all comps. I inject against the grain and message it afterward. No streaks in the meat when cut. I took a 1st and 3rd last year . Not changing a thing . I thhink it helps keep the meat moist , because as you all know brisket dries out fast.........John